1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Natural killer cells in human autoimmune diseases

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by heapsreal, May 29, 2013.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2999796/
    Conclusion

While inappropriate activation of cells of the adaptative immune response was mainly reported in autoimmune diseases, numerous observations suggest a role for NK cells in these disorders. To date, NK cells have not been specifically targeted by treatments of autoimmune diseases. However, some biotherapies are associated with changes in the circulating NK compartment. For example, daclizumab (anti-IL-2Rα) in multiple sclerosis is associated with an increase in the number of CD56bright NK cells.56 The same change is observed in the treatment of uveitis with daclizumab.57 Interestingly, the expansion of blood NK cells has been found to be correlated with the suppression of disease activity, and NK cells isolated from patients during treatment were able to kill autologous-activated T cells.56 From another point of view, NK cells play an important role, through ADCC, in the efficacy of monoclonal antibodies used to treat human diseases.38 Thus, identifying the modifications of NK cells and the role of NK cells in autoimmune diseases will help to define new therapeutic targets and to optimize the efficiency of current biotherapies in such indications.

It has been suggested that NK cells have a disease-promoting or a disease-controlling role in autoimmune diseases, depending on the disease and the NK cell subset analysed. A disease-controlling role is clearly suggested by studies in SLE patients in which circulating NK cells are reduced in number and functions. These abnormalities have been shown to correlate with some clinical manifestations of the disease. Such modifications of NK cells mirror the protective role of NK cells proposed in the model of multiple sclerosis where an increase in the numbers of circulating NK cells correlates with remission of the disease. However, despite clinical correlative evidence, the mechanisms by which NK cells control autoimmune disease remain unknown. Moreover, it is difficult to reconcile the dual NK cell roles in different autoimmune diseases. Perhaps NK cells can have either a protective or a disease-promoting role in a given autoimmune disease at different stages of the disease (e.g. onset and/or progression) in a several-year-long process. Thus, forthcoming studies should focus on tissue NK cells and NK cell interactions with other immune cells at sites of inflammation at different phases of the development of autoimmune diseases.
    WillowJ, Enid, merylg and 1 other person like this.
  2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Interesting heaps - my brother worse affected is tipped into autoimmune (liver) though viral damage (CNS) has been diagnosed. I can think of some genetic weakness - but much more of collapse of the immune system - due to a persisting viral infection - mine revealing weak anti-smooth muscle antibodies - EBV et al. not diagnosed.
  3. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    hi enid,

its interesting how its mentions autoimmune illness or persistent viral infection. So theres another 2 possible subgroups. those with an autoimmune illness are also prone to viral infections and i think could look alot like those with just persistent viral infections, maybe that could be a difference between responders and non responders with antivirals??

it would be nice if there were more treatments for nk dysfunction. treatment for those born with very low nk cells, not neccessarily function, are mostly just placed on antivirals to stop viral replication, immunoglobulins are used. Nothing really out of the box we dont already know.

In a perfect world there would be something that would definately increase nk function, bright and dim nk function and then see if people improve?? or is it just a marker of persistent viral infections and autoimmune illnesses??
    http://www.uptodate.com/contents/nk-cell-deficiency-syndromes-treatment
  4. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    another short study review http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12505527
    Abstract

There are a surprisingly large number of human natural killer (NK) cell deficiency states that provide insight into the role of NK cells in defense against human infectious disease. Many disorders associated with NK cell defects are caused by single gene mutations and, thus, give additional understanding concerning the function of specific molecules in NK cell development and activities. A resounding theme of NK cell deficiencies is susceptibility to herpesviruses, suggesting that unexplained severe herpesviral infection should raise the possibility of an NK cell deficit.
    SOC likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.