• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Natural Gas

Strawberry

I was talking to a naturopath last weekend about my health, and she stated that cooking with natural gas can cause CFS? I don't believe I have seen that stated here before, and a search didn't find anything. While my mild CFS issues go back 20+ years, it has only become bad in the last 3 thanks to PEM, neurological, and vertigo issues. I have been living in a house with a natural gas cooktop for almost 4 years.

I am curious if anyone has heard this before, or if they have had improvement by switching back to an electric cooktop. And if you have had improvement from switching to electric, how long did it take?

manna

I hadn't heard it stated as a cause for M.E. I recall that I had an electric cooker when I got ill but then my trigger was a mercury filling. I could appreciate how it might be another contributing factor to illness onset. People with MCS are unable to use gas cooking and supposedly no-one with that illness improves whilst gas is in the house. I stopped using gas many years ago (whilst ill) as it made me feel woozy to be around. Most M.E.ers have some degree of chemical sensitivity i believe, so avoidance should help I think.

Hmmm I wonder if it contributed to me getting MCS as well as M.E. as I got a gas cooker when I moved and that's when MCS started not long after. Couldn't have helped. I feel much better around electric cooking than gas. I was surprised to find on one forum that they all had gas cookers (mecfs forum). I think avoiding gas is a good thing. I still have natural gas heating though the fumes supposedly all go out of the vent rather than into the kitchen.

Strawberry

Oh my word, @ggingues THANK YOU for the belly laugh! Good thing the person that shares my office had stepped out. I would have been BUSTED!

@manna I had to look up MCS (http://www.multiplechemicalsensitivity.org/) and it seems it is probably what my allergy doctor called "environmentally sensitive." So realistically I probably have had MCS since I was 21. (I am 47) I had a work accident where I inhaled a bunch of toner, and that is when all my allergies started. Although perfume and hot tubs had given me mild migraines or severe headaches previous to that. (I say mild migraine as they didn't start with the aura as usual)

So I could be in the same boat as you, having MCS, and then turning into ME 3 years ago. (if I get a diagnosis of that) Although I also was pushing myself way too hard at that time and may have triggered it that way. Very interesting though. Maybe I will get an electric counter top unit and see if that helps.