Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

National Archive files on ME and CFS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by cfsStevew, Jan 20, 2015.

1. cfsStevew

cfsStevew

Has there been a thread/discussion on the secret files at Kew?

I am just going through them having been posted by this blogger...

https://valerieeliotsmith.wordpress...-the-importance-of-fair-and-accurate-records/

Makes quite interesting reading. Reading about Peter White and Wessely fighting for CFS and describing the Royal Free Outbreak as a 'mass conversion hysteria' and that it is 'certain' they 'do not have encephalomyelitis'....(not sure what evidence this is based upon...)

Aurator likes this.
  2. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

I don't know, but threads will be merged if necessary.
    Many thanks for posting this! If Valerie Eliot Smith's is the only version of the Kew files available online she has done us a great service.
    Salient sentences my hitherto cursory reading has thrown up are:
    p.7: "Careful studies...have shown unequivocally that the fatigue these patients experience is SUBJECTIVE." (writer's capitals, not mine)
    p.8: "Clinical management MUST (writer's capitals) include identification of the underlying depression and persuasion of the patient to accept this explanation...Graded exercise does and will help."
    I intend to read it all.

3. cfsStevew

cfsStevew

yes it would be great to have an analysis of this document...Ill try to go through it also...

See more popular forum discussions.