1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Narcolepsy is an auto-immune disorder

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by HopingSince88, Feb 18, 2010.

1. HopingSince88

HopingSince88 Senior Member

Maine
  2. Denn

Denn Guest

Thanks for posting, Hoping. Narcolepsy was one of my earliest acute symptoms. Had to laugh at the reference to "hypocretin deficiency" though. I have been told that my problem was due to "hypercretin abundancy"! :eek:

Be well,
    Denn

3. spit

spit Senior Member

Thanks for the link! I had been missing from the internets, so I missed this, and was happy to see it. Exciting, honestly -- they'd already found some pretty solid evidence that narcolepsy is autoimmune, but this is a really important finding both as confirmation and as identification of an actual, specific reactive autoantigen.

4. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I've got it and yes it is classified as an autoimmune disease now. Stanford Sleep Research and an Japanese study published at almost the same time and I don't believe they were related.

They are suppose to be working on a nasal mist that has had good success with dog at Stanford that has it, but they seem to be more concerned with cataplexy than the uncontrollable sleep.

I have never had cataplexy and haven't been screened for that gene that suppose to be decent indicator of narcolepsy.

5. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Great discovery Hoping - yes very much part of my own problems too. How well research moves on now.

6. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Interesting. Mine went away 7 - 10 days post gf diet. I've had it once or twice after getting to much gluten
    cross contamination.

It's annoying finding out that so many of my problems were from gluten and no one
    knew this. A simple genetic test for gluten intolerance could've saved me from years of this crap. I have the
    DQ2 celiac gene.

fwiw, I have noctural myoclonus (jerking) which wakes me up when going into rem so my sleep study expert missed this.
    Duh ! Lol. Tc ... X

merylg likes this.
  7. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Mercer Island Wa
    You might reference back on this post I did concerning narcolepsy and autoimmune disease

Eco

See more popular forum discussions.