1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Nancy Klimas On Video on CFSKnowledgeCenter

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Cort, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
  2. kolowesi

kolowesi Senior Member

Central Texas
    Dr. Klimas

Great video. I'm so glad I watched it.

At the end, speaking of people who have been ill for so long:

"This is absolutely the wrong time to give up. If you know people discouraged and depressed, this is the time to help them out, give them a leg up."

I think we can do that on this forum, I see it happening almost every day.

Thanks Cort.

(I can't believe how much you are working)

3. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    I love Dr. Klimas...

She's always struck me as very down to earth, no ego, just an extremely hard worker, dedicated to helping us figure this out, without the need for self-promotion.

Thanks Cort for the link!

d.

4. InvertedTree

InvertedTree Senior Member

Thanks for posting that quote Kelly. It came at a good time.

It's a wonderful video, thanks for posting it Cort.

5. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    From what I hear she is very objective, basically egoless and from the very few times I've bumped into her in conferences - has a great sense of humor. She really is about the patients and she does an enormous amount of work.

6. fds66

fds66 Senior Member

Thank you for posting that link. I really appreciated that video.

7. Summer

Summer Senior Member

What struck me was Nancy saying that unlike all the other supposed causes, in the past, EBV and other things, were also found in high numbers in the public (controls), and this virus has, so far, now reached 98% positivity rate in CFIDS patients, but only 3.7% in controls.

8. hvs

hvs Senior Member

Terrific video. Klimas needs more airtime as someone who appears to be an excellent communicator and balanced temperament. If only the WPI had the funds to give her a year-long fellowship.

9. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    Thanks for the link. I'm glad to finally see Nancy Klimas speak. She seems like a very wise person.

10. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    She's been such a key figure in so many ways; research, advocacy, education... She's held just about every possible position; IACFS/ME president, CFSAC member, Fair Name Campaign board member - probably many other things. She's always trying to push the boundaries and she's very open to new ideas.

What really struck me about what she said was that this is the first virus to be found at high levels in chronic fatigue syndrome patients that is rare in the outside population..

11. hvs

hvs Senior Member

Indeed, that seems to be the take-home message. When people state, "well, I've been around a long time and they've made special claims for the roles of viruses in the past (EBV, HHV-6) to naught," they need to get a grasp on this new information. CFS patients HAVE this; healthy people DO NOT. Healthy people HAVE EBV antibodies; healthy people HAVE HHV-6 antibodies (they had roseola as kids). They do NOT have XMRV antibodies.

That's why the new name XAND is appropriate today. We do not know the exact nature of the association (though the world's new expert, Mikovits, believes it's a causal one) but there darn sure is one.

12. KC22

KC22 Senior Member

Ohio
    Dr. Klimas..

Very impressive. I would love to be her patient.....:)

See more popular forum discussions.