• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nagalase urine (not blood) test available.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Hello everyone, I don't know if I'm late in the day reporting this but Nagalase can now be detected in urine as well as blood according to the website below. I believe the first tests available to the public were blood, hence my post.

The test can be sourced in the UK from a re-seller of other certified Labs in central London.
http://bloodtestslondon.com/shop/article_NAG/Nagalase-urine-test.html?pse=apq

Cost is £152.45 ($242) which includes the fee for a doctors referral letter so you can buy it online without leaving the home.

In my view this is expensive, but if it's from a reputable lab in the UK then it's worth it rather than a lesser lab that is not considered validated. Often physicians can contest the relevance of abnormal test results who haven't heard of labs outside the UK or won't accept the results.

I looked over in Holland at ELN (European Laboratory of Nutrients) and saw in contrast they are apparently only offering a blood test (frozen plasma), as are REDLABS in Belgium. I thought it may be useful to let people know of this alternative urine test due to the additional cost in paying, arranging blood to be frozen before mailing it, and experiencing a blood draw which is rarely pleasant or easy to arrange if one is housebound and cannot get to a phlebotomist..

Nagalase is reportedly elevated in CFS, Autism and HIV. Probably unsurprising as there is a retroviral link. I don't know if Nagalase is elevated in autoimmune diseases and that would be interesting to know.

If this is old news, please delete the post. Please note as I haven't had the test I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the test or its source.

Thank you.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Research 1st

Redlabs actually sends the blood to ELN for testing--they don't do it themselves. So this may be the only other test available. I wonder if the results have been compared with the blood tests to see if they are more or less the same?

Sushi

Shoesies

Sushi Thanks so much. I am sure Dr. Bradstreet knows this and will plan accordingly. Actually. we think we have traced origin of the viral issues related to my illness. Approx 5 years ago I had a titanium dental implant placed with a bone graft to fix a bad root canal from teen years. They said it was needed to deal with massive bacteria in sinus related to short root canal excavation. I asked to Dr in front of witnesses if this bone graft was screened for HIV, HepC and HHV viruses...I was not aware of the nature of EBV to ask. He assured me that they were screened and not an issue. Immediately after the surgery I had my first 2 month serious illness. Flu like symptoms and physical exhaustion and fevers. From that point on and not before, I have had persistant relapses of illness. Almost three years ago diagnosed with EBV, severe debilitation and reactivations since...now cognitive issues and heart issues involved. This is just approaching criminal negligence in my opinion. Og course they will opine themselves that there is no way to be certain that the virus/es came from the bone graft.

ukxmrv

Thanks, I've never heard of this company. Looks useful for UK patients.

They use TDL in Wimpole St which is a lab most of my private doctors have used over the years for blood tests. They have a good reputation.

Sushi, can you give more specifics about a Nagalase test from Health Diagnostics (here in US), a link or more info. I looked and could not find. Thanks, AB

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi,

Health Diagnostics is the US branch of http://www.europeanlaboratory.nl/

Look on the left hand side of the page, under new tests and you will see "nagalase in the blood." Click there. A doctor has to fax a request for a kit on his/her prescription pad (showing the medical license number) and giving the address the kit is to be sent to.

The the doc (or clinic) needs to draw the blood and, I think, centrifuge it (instructions in the kit) and then you need to refrigerate it for a while and ship it with a cold brick by FedEx to get there the next day. It takes about 6 weeks average to get your results which are faxed to your doc.

If your doc can't prepare the blood, many hospital labs will do it as a courtesy.

Sushi

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
Hello everyone, thanks for all the replies and ideas.

I do hope this test really is a urine test considering the sparcity of information out there about it.

Following on from what Sushi mentioned, for the UK people who are homebound and can't travel there is a private company now in the south of England who offer a mobile centrifuge service to your home, which is pretty neat.
http://www.phlebotomyservices.co.uk/index.htm

Perhaps the lab technology exits for this not to be required with a Nagalese urine test, but it would seem unlikely considering we haven't heard anything on the grapevine.

We'll have to wait and see I guess or maybe...wait and wee. :p