The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NAD, Niacinamide and methylation

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by PeterPositive, Sep 23, 2014.

1. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Hi,
    I have recently experimented adding 25mg of NAD in sublingual form (this product) and I've found that it provides a nice energy boost without increasing anxiety, which is good :)

I am considering taking this every day and maybe taking it even twice a day if I find myself running out of juice, so to speak.

Question is... will NAD interfere with the methylation supplements? Niacin/Niacinamide is known to be a sponge for methyl groups and it's used to counteract the side effects of methyl-folate & C... I have no idea if NAD has the same properties and what would be a safe dose of NAD to avoid slowing down my already sluggish methylation?

thanks

2. adreno

adreno PR activist

I think you will be fine. You still need some B3 one way or the other, and if you like the active form then 25mg isn't a huge dose anyway. It's true that B3 mops up excess methyl groups, but it also has many other functions.

3. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Thanks.
    I noticed that niacin and niacinamide supplements come usually in much higher doses, such as 250mg, 500mg and more. Is there any equivalence between say 500mg of niacinamide and X mg of NAD? Or it just doens't make sense?

I suppose it's not an easy question :)

4. sregan

sregan Senior Member

Southeast
    NAD is a more active form of B3 and I would assume you need Less of it. As p5p is the most active form of B6 I might take 10mg sublingual instead of a 50mg b6.

NADH is even more active (but way more $$$) and something you might consider trying. However, if you do good on NAD you're lucky! I've got a bottle of NAD (and just about everything else) and it's not been any better than Niacin as far as I can tell.

PeterPositive likes this.
  5. adreno

adreno PR activist

Yeah, it's probably about 5x stronger than regular B3.

6. Sherpa

Sherpa Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie

USA
    Had good luck, also, with NADH. Lots of energy, not too much anxiety.

7. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Don't NAD and NADH push one reaction different ways, so that if what you're trying to do is get it to go one way, taking the other is counterproductive? (I did that by taking DMG when I needed TMG and that was not good!) Can anyone point me to that chemical equation?

I've also had good results from NADH, but it is pricey! So a less expensive alternative would be good, unless I'm doing myself in with it.

8. Gloria H

Gloria H

South Dakota
    I'm wondering how niacinamide compares to NAD in bio-availability etc. I want B3 but I have no need to dampen methylation.

9. Jarod

Jarod Senior Member

planet earth
    I take numerous b vitamins. I take all the b vitamins seperately to identify what works and what doesn't.

Niacin and B1 are a couple of my favorite b vitamins. Can't function without them, as I start getting gum problems.

B6 makes me severly agitated if I get too much. In fact, I just avoid it completely. In fact It is possible to overdose on B6 pretty easily for me. This has been tested in blood.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

See more popular forum discussions.