• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAC N-Acetyl-Cysteine mucolytic effects

Thinktank

I'm trying to increase my glutathione and one of the ways to do that is by supplementing NAC.
Pre-ME i had some really good effects from NAC like increased stamina, clear skin, reduced inflammation, less allergies and better breathing, so i thought to try it again.

5 minutes after taking the first 600mg capsule i experienced burning in my espohagus like hell. I don't think it's reflux but mucosal irritation due to NAC's mucolytic properties. A load of DGL has helped to calm down the burning but now i'm worried my small intestine and stomach will be next....

Because of my IBD i probably shouldn't take NAC but i believe it might help my health in many other ways.

I have not yet found a buffered of liposomal version of NAC so i'm thinking about creating liposomal NAC myself. Does anyone know of any tricks to be able to tolerate NAC? Or perhaps where to find a liposomal non-irritanting formula?

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
I use the over the counter powders that you mix with water and take as a drink (Mucomyst/Exomuc).

No problems at all taking it and it does help me.

Cheesus

Whey has two cysteine molecules joined together, which has the same effect of attaching the acetyl group in NAC (i.e. it prevents the breakdown of cysteine in the digestive tract). Maybe you could give that a go?