• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAC and feeling worse. Due to methylation or biofilm?

knackers323

Hi guys I'm looking for help here. I've tried taking NAC three times now and within a couple of hours it increases my symptoms of feeling weak and hot.

Any idea to tell if this is due to the methylation cycle or due to attacking biofilms?

My son was worse on NAC. He turned out to be worse on glutathione and any of the precursors to glutathione (including NAC) and had significant crashes. When we got the genetic methylation panel, he turned up with a few genes that indicate his liver cannot process glutathione very fast so large amounts were getting backed up. He has done better with improving general methylation. His body seems to handle the glutathion his body makes naturally.

xrunner

One reason some have an adverse reaction is mercury toxicity, that was my case. There was an old thread on the possible risks of using NAC in mercury toxic people but I can't find it.

knackers323

The feeling bad only lasts for a few hours. I'm trying to work out if this is a herx and/or positive or it isn't doing me any good.

Forgot to add, liposomal glutathione makes me feel better.

Last edited:
My doc says nac is active against mycoplasma pneumonia and other pathogens too. I had the famous nac flu when I started it.

I actually bought a microscope and spent awhile learning the different things I was seeing in my blood, one thing I couldnt find. Then, my husband got sick with a cold he couldnt shake weeks of a cold turned into fatigue and joint pain. They wanted to put him on inhalers, said he had ASTHMA.. well, i decided to look at his blood and low and behold there sure were alot of the things that I had been seeing in my blood...

The only pic I could locate that looked like what I was seeing was on the cpn help website. What they have up is not a pic of chlamydia pneumonia, by the way.. it is mycoplasma pneumonia. They are wrong. Had to email researchers all over the world before I finally got that verified.

Well, and the blood test that had titers over 1000 about 5 weeks later.

knackers323

H
My doc says nac is active against mycoplasma pneumonia and other pathogens too. I had the famous nac flu when I started it.

I actually bought a microscope and spent awhile learning the different things I was seeing in my blood, one thing I couldnt find. Then, my husband got sick with a cold he couldnt shake weeks of a cold turned into fatigue and joint pain. They wanted to put him on inhalers, said he had ASTHMA.. well, i decided to look at his blood and low and behold there sure were alot of the things that I had been seeing in my blood...

The only pic I could locate that looked like what I was seeing was on the cpn help website. What they have up is not a pic of chlamydia pneumonia, by the way.. it is mycoplasma pneumonia. They are wrong. Had to email researchers all over the world before I finally got that verified.

Well, and the blood test that had titers over 1000 about 5 weeks later.

Hi PK

Could you tell me how the NAC effected you, how long it lasted and were you taking abx or anything else at the time?
Thanks

I felt like I had the flu.. My joints and muscles hurt, got some congestion too. Lasted about 5 days.

Yes, I was taking other supplements at the time.. No abx. I add only one new thing a week so I know it was the NAC. Eventually it all stabilized out and I've been on it now for a year. I think it has been very helpful.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@PathogenKiller I just got some NAC today because I read, like someone earlier in this thread posted, it's supposed to help with C. Pneumonia. I think I took it a few years ago and did not fair well. Maybe because I had C. Pneumonia back then too?

I'm splitting a 600 mgs capsule and will try 300 and see. I always have problems when I start something new. I already feel pretty bad though so who knows.

Are you still having good results with it?