• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

n-acetylcysteine (NAC) (N-A-C)

aaron_c

@Star-Anise

If you aren't sure whether you still have mercury in your system, I would advise against taking any NAC until you get this cleared up. Cheney describes two patients who went on high-dose NAC which, he believes, caused them to commit suicide when it moved mercury from elsewhere in the body into their brains. High doses of methylcobalamin (but not other kinds of cobalamin) may also cause similar problems with mercury.

To test for mercury, I prefer to use a hair mineral analysis (HMA) rather than a urine sample following IV chelation. I prefer this only because it is cheaper and doesn't cause side effects. If you use a HMA, I would suggest making sure that the lab you use works with Andrew Hall Cutler's "counting rules," because you cannot measure body mercury burden simply by looking at the mercury level in hair. You can, however, determine whether one has mercury poisoning by looking for evidence of "deranged mineral transport" in a HMA. You do this with his counting rules, which you can get by buying his book or PMing me.

The counting rules are things like "Are more than 14 values above the 50th percentile?" or "Are more than six values above the 95th and/or below the 5th percentiles?" (I don't think those are actual rules, but they should be similar). Not all labs provide percentiles as yardsticks, so it is easiest if you use Doctor's Data, which is the lab Cutler used.

Hi,

Well, I decided to try N-A-C again. I forget why I decided to give it another try. I think I thought my issues with it may have been caused by something else. Anyway, I started with half a capsule so about 250mg before bed. I did this for some time without nausea issues. I think it helped me sleep. I then started taking 500mg and continued to sleep better. No nausea. But...........I notice I've had bowel issues in the morning, not diarrhea but close to it and some cramping. I would have these symptoms (IBS like) on a rare occasion anyway, but now it seems to happen most mornings. I believe diarrhea is a side-effect of NAC. I'm also taking some MSM in the mornings which I believe could cause bowel issues but I've taken breaks and even lowered my dose but doesn't seem to change the bowel issues.

Is there a way to take NAC and not have bowel issues? I'm taking NAC before bed without food. Does taking it with food help?

Would taking it in the morning with breakfast help? Would it still help with sleep if taken in the mornings?

Cheers,
Soccer_dude