• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

N-acetylcysteine and hydrogen sulphide

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I tried NAC briefly a while back but didn't notice any positive effects; in fact, I started deteriorating, but then realised that I had been unknowingly consuming extra carbs, and am improving again after reducing these again. I'm very much in two minds about restarting the NAC, partly due to reading that it increases H2S, and that H2S is thought to be one of the things that damages our mitochondria.

Has anyone here looked into this?

Freddd

NAC can do far worse. It can cause too much glutathione to form, flushing MeCbl and AdoCbl in circulation, and probably HyCbl as well and likely others, out of the body with such completeness that it can cause methyltrap and increasing L-methylfolate symptoms, making a person feel worse and worse.