• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mystery illness affecting Gulf oil spill clean up workers

ixchelkali

Oh, man, my heart goes out to them. It sounds like the Gulf War Illness all over again. And I predict a similar level of help from the government. Certainly BP will be trying to bury this, and they have a heck of lot more resources than those workers.

How long can the government, the safety agencies, the environmental protection agencies, maintain their plausible deniability on this kind of toxic exposure? They just sit back and say "prove it," and point to people who didn't get sick. Is the idea that their may be differences in threshold, or differences in susceptibility, so hard to conceive? I suppose next they'll be saying it's mass hysteria.

Those poor folks down there. And their doctors. They've got a hard road ahead.

taniaaust1

sad. I bet a lot of them will be told its in their heads or that there issue is psychological. Governments rather vanish this kind of thing.

at the end of the article , there is a space for comments. It's a good way to get in a few thoughts about similarities there and with our situation with CFS/ME. Often in these situations it's what I do, kind of getting in on the ground level to put our story in front of as many people as possible. There are currently 1500 comments there, so it's being well read. Let's try to get a bunch in there from us .