1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

mycotoxin test from realtime labs

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by EMilo, Jan 15, 2014.

1. EMilo

EMilo Elizabethmilo.com

Seattle, WA
    Hi everyone,

I got the urine mycotoxin test from Realtime Labs and it showed high levels of ochratoxin and I think a few others, but that was the most concerning to my doctor.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm tempted to go live somewhere else for two months and see if I improve (but I'm too sick). I'm tempted to sell our house and move (but I'm too sick).

I called the people my doctor recommended for a home inspection and it's going to be $500 for what sounds like an indoor air quality consultation. I already know my home is hairy and dirty and dusty! (I have two big shedding dogs and I'm allergic to them and to dust mites and to the many birches in our yard etc.)

Has anyone had this test done and can compare results with me?

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Narcissism = lack of self awareness

Left Coast
    The consultation will also probably look for mold and other toxins. The consult should be free. The test would be $500. If they charge you for the consult forget it.

When I was looking for mold testing there were a lot of qualified people who I had no problem negotiating the price with.

Why not just have someone come in and give it a good cleaning and see if that helps. Then try to keep that up.

The

EMilo likes this.
  3. EMilo

EMilo Elizabethmilo.com

Seattle, WA
    @slayadragon , I was told you might be able to help me with this. I just got tested by Real Time Lab for mycotoxins and it came back positive for Tricothecene, almost positive for Aflatoxin and off the charts positive for Ochratoxin. My doctor didn't give me much information about what this meant (even though the test cost $700 and he charged me $120 to tell me the results). Do you have any insight? Is it definitely environmental? Could it be food? What do I do next? I'm so sick and so overwhelmed, any help would be appreciated!

4. LHCTom

LHCTom

My test from Real Time showed .66ppb for Trichotthecene which is a mycotoxin from Stachybotrys chartarum aka "black mold". I ordered a Pro-Lab test kit and sent it in for analysis. It contains a a petri dish which I taped to my forced air duct for 15 minutes and then let it grow for 3 days. It grew a dark mold and I sent it in for analysis. No results as yet. My doctor who ordered the test has me taking a combination of Chlorella, Bentonite Clay and Charcoal. I have read these all are proposed as being able to absorb the Trichotthecene and then its excreted in the stool. Thats the theory. Just sarted a week ago slowly and I'm hoping it will make a difference.

Valentijn likes this.
  5. globalpilot

globalpilot Senior Member

Ontario
    Hi,
    My doctor, Dr Nathan suggests using the immunolytics mold plates. They used to charge $15 or so for the plates and then you send them in only if they show some growth. But even if you send them for culture in charge is much less than the $500 mention above. That's what I did in my home. I am in Florida now for the winter and wanted to check the place I am in. But now Immunolytics sells package deals at a much higher rate and doesn't sell the individual plates. I did find a place online that sells them and can't find it for the life of me right now but if you google a bit you may find it.

6. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Where do you get the plates for $15?

GG

7. LHCTom

LHCTom

The petri dishes only show if there are mold spores in your home. They don't tell you if you were exposed somewhere else or at a different time. The Real Time Labs test actually tests your urine looking for the Mycotoxins in your body using an ELISA. So its not the same.

Its best to do both if you can afford it. If the Real Time Lab test shows a mycotoxin in your urine, then its wise to check if its your home with the Petri Dish test.

You can order the Petri dish on Amazon at

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Lab-MO109...UTF8&qid=1392759013&sr=8-2&keywords=mold test

You can run your forced air into it or place it near a suspected area of mold. If after 2-4 days, there is mold growth in the dish, it can be sent in for analysis as to what type of mold it is.

There is also an at home test available at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/5-Minute-Home...UTF8&qid=1392759116&sr=8-1&keywords=mold test

Which is used to sample a suspected mold. It will show immediately if its Aspergillus, Penicillium, or Stachybotrys

8. globalpilot

Ontario
    I know it's not the same. The original poster stated she has done the Real Time Labs mycotoxin test. I suggested the culture test as a cost-effective way to see if her home is a source of those mycotoxins..

9. LHCTom

LHCTom

The $500 is for the Real Time test. And yes the next step is determining if its your home. The Pro-Lab culture from Amazon is $7.99. If it grows mold, you can send it to them and they will identify the type of mold for $40. Most homes have some kind of mold spores so it will probably grow and you will need to spend the $40 to learn what it is. So its really a $47.99 test. Then you can see if it matches what was found in the Real Time test. Stachybotrys or Black Mold is the likely source of Trichotthecenes. So if you are positive for Trichotthecenes and find Stachybotrys with the Pro-lab kit, you found your problem. Cleaning it up is another problem that will require professional help or a move.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Lab-MO109...UTF8&qid=1392759013&sr=8-2&keywords=mold test

http://www.prolabinc.com/mold-kits2.asp

10. LHCTom

LHCTom

11. globalpilot

Ontario
    No, I was comparing to the $500 for the home inspection test the OP mentioned in the first post ("I called the people my doctor recommended for a home inspection and it's going to be $500 for...").

I paid $700, not $500 for the RealTime test.

12. LHCTom

LHCTom

I am also seeing Dr N. at Gordon Medical and the office only charged $525 for the Real Time test? Did your test show any mycotoxins and if so, what was the treatment?

My test showed .66ppb of Trichothecene Group and negative for Ochratoxin and Aflatoxin.

I purchased the Pro-lab kit and taped the petri dish to my forced air most distant vent outlet. It grew a number of colonies of mold so I sent it in the for analysis. They said I would get the results in early March.

I also purchased a package of ten pre agar treated petri dishes so I can run multiple attempts and use a combination of a microscope analysis myself

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MKHNJK/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I also ordered an IAQ 5 minute IAQ Pro 5-Minute Home Mold Test Aspergillus, Penicillium, Stachybotrys Test.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JAERJK/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This test appears to have an at-home ELISA which detects the mold types. I plan on growing multiple petri dish plates and then swab all the growing samples directly so I get a large amount of mold from multiple sites.

I am currently has me on an ever increasing combination of Chlorella, Bentonite Clay and Activated Charcoal.

This is quite different from Dr Soemaker's treatment although I was tested earlier and found high at 3639 ng/nl ( 0-2830 normal range) C3a at which seems to be one of the markers.

example: http://www.survivingmold.com/docs/patel_essay.PDF

Anyone have any thoughts on treatment protocols and successes?

13. globalpilot

Ontario

14. Soundthealarm21

Soundthealarm21 Senior Member

Dallas, TX

.68ppb Tricothecene, None of the others.

I'm having all of the Shoemaker (www.survivingmold.com) tests done right now (Had 19 vials of blood drawn the other day). Also doing another real time lab test to see if the mold has increased as the doc and I believe the phospholipids have mobilized it.

15. tahoma

tahoma

Elizabeth,
    Please see my private message re dr in Seattle who ran the urine test... Thanks.

See more popular forum discussions.