• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Real Illness" (editorial) (Komaroff, 2015)

Dolphin

Free at: http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2322808

Editorials | 16 June 2015
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Real Illness
Anthony L. Komaroff, MD

Ann Intern Med. 2015;162(12):871-872. doi:10.7326/M15-0647

Chronic fatigue syndrome (named by some as myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome [ME/CFS]) frustrates many physicians.

That is understandable because there are no diagnostic tests or proven treatments.

Some physicians even insist that the illness has no biological basis.

Patients who seek help from such physicians are unlikely to have a satisfying therapeutic experience. 14).

I will recap their answers to important questions.

Last edited:

JaimeS

Nicely done, actually. I had no idea my poor reaction to corticoids could be considered somewhat diagnostic. I wish they'd linked that statement directly...

-J

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
These reports from the IOM, AHRQ, and NIH demonstrate how much we have learned about ME/CFS and how much we still do not know. We do not understand its pathogenesis, and we do not have a diagnostic test or a cure. However, these recent reports, summarizing information from more than 9000 articles, should put the question of whether ME/CFS is a "real" illness to rest. When skeptical physicians, many of whom are unaware of this literature, tell patients with ME/CFS that "there is nothing wrong," they not only commit a diagnostic error: They also compound the patients' suffering.

I hope someone besides us actually reads this.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
When skeptical physicians, many of whom are unaware of this literature, tell patients with ME/CFS that "there is nothing wrong," they not only commit a diagnostic error: They also compound the patients' suffering.
Yes, that was a good quote! I used the last part of the quote for one of my tweets today during ME Awareness Hour - https://twitter.com/ahimsa_pdx/status/611232674728968192
I hope someone besides us actually reads this.
You and me both!

Amaya2014

"When skeptical physicians, many of whom are unaware of this literature, tell patients with ME/CFS that "there is nothing wrong," they not only commit a diagnostic error: They also compound the patients' suffering."

I need this on a t-shirt and a coffee mug.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I need this on a t-shirt and a coffee mug.

Feel free to use this image on zazzle or some website like that:
Komaroff.png