• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My two detailed comments on the Cochrane Exercise Therapy for CFS review (2015)

Tom Kindlon

The latest version of this Cochrane review has been published. It includes my comments and reply from Larun.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003200.pub4/abstract
Response submitted by: Lillebeth Larun
Objective measures and compliance
The protocol for this review did not include objective measurements or compliance as outcomes, hence are not included. You make a
strong case and including objective measures and compliance should be carefully considered in an update

user9876

I thought the comment on outcome switching in a non-blinded trial was shocking. They say they gave reasons for changing but the reasons read to me as 'we felt like it' they provided no evidence that the changes were better and no evidence that they didn't impact on the results.

So is could the comment be taken as Cochrain saying outcome switching is ok as long as its acknowledged.

Bob

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003200.pub4/full#CD003200-sec1-0013

I've got issues with a number of the replies. Some of the issues are very complex to analyse. So I'll just address this one for now...

Cochrane said:
Selective reporting (outcome bias)

The Cochrane Risk of Bias tool enables the review authors to be transparent about their judgments, but due to the subjective nature of the process it does not guarantee an indisputable consensus. You particularly mention the risk of bias in the PACE trial regarding not providing pre-specified outcomes however the trial did pre-specify the analysis of outcomes. The primary outcomes were the same as in the original protocol, although the scoring method of one was changed and the analysis of assessing efficacy also changed from the original protocol. These changes were made as part of the detailed statistical analysis plan (itself published in full), which had been promised in the original protocol. These changes were drawn up before the analysis commenced and before examining any outcome data. In other words they were pre-specified, so it is hard to understand how the changes contributed to any potential bias. The relevant paper also alerted readers to all these changes and gave the reasons for them. Overall, we don’t think that the issues you raise with regard to the risk of selective outcome bias are such as to suspect high risk of bias, but recognize that you may reach different conclusions than us.

My comments are in green.

Selective reporting (outcome bias)

The Cochrane Risk of Bias tool enables the review authors to be transparent about their judgments, but due to the subjective nature of the process it does not guarantee an indisputable consensus. You particularly mention the risk of bias in the PACE trial regarding not providing pre-specified outcomes however the trial did pre-specify the analysis of outcomes. [< PACE absolutely did not pre-specify the analysis of outcomes. Nice spin.]

The primary outcomes were the same as in the original protocol, although the scoring method of one was changed and the analysis of assessing efficacy also changed from the original protocol. [< Correct to say that the primary analysis of efficacy was changed, which is the central complaint. The primary outcome measures (questionnaires) were the same (but with altered scoring), but the primary endpoint analyses were all switched, which is crucial.]

These changes were made as part of the detailed statistical analysis plan (itself published in full), which had been promised in the original protocol. [< The statistical analysis plan was published after the main 2011 paper.]

These changes were drawn up before the analysis commenced and before examining any outcome data. [< In other words the changes were implemented after the trial commenced and after data was being collected in an open-label study. In other words "post-hoc".]

In other words they were pre-specified [< Not!], so it is hard to understand how the changes contributed to any potential bias. [< Really? Even if you try very hard?]

The relevant paper also alerted readers to all these changes and gave the reasons for them. [< I'd have to re-read the full paper to be certain but I'm fairly convinced that the 2011 paper did not comment on all of the changes, if any, and definitely did not include a sensitivity analysis.]

Overall, we don’t think that the issues you raise with regard to the risk of selective outcome bias are such as to suspect high risk of bias [< Quel Surprise!], but recognize that you may reach different conclusions than us.

Last edited:

Bob

Cochrane said:
The primary outcomes were the same as in the original protocol, although the scoring method of one was changed and the analysis of assessing efficacy also changed from the original protocol.
The relevant paper also alerted readers to all these changes and gave the reasons for them.
Does anyone recall any details about this? Did the 2011 paper explain all the primary efficacy analyses switching?

Last edited:

Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon

James Coyne has just written a blog challenging part of the response by Lillebeth Larun to my comments:
Why the Cochrane Collaboration needs to clean up conflicts of interest
https://jcoynester.wordpress.com/20...tion-needs-to-clean-up-conflicts-of-interest/

Phoenix Rising thread on the blog is here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...icts-of-interest-on-get-for-cfs-review.43690/
David Tovey, the Editor in Chief of the Cochrane Library, commented on this in a slightly noncommittal way in a blog post today:
https://community.cochrane.org/news/cochrane-and-conflict-of-interest

Last edited: