• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Thyroid experiment (Ongoing)

pattismith

Just some thoughs from my experiment with T3 supplementation:

It took about 2 months of supplementing 2/3 times per day to get rid of most of my symptoms, with increasing doses.
(and at first I worsened when taking 2/3 doses/day)

My heart rate staid between 62 and 81/mn, although it can be easily increased by stress, and I also noticed that taking prednisolone lowered it.

I also noticed that my heart beat seems stronger when taking T3, so sometimes you can feel your heart beat is quicker, although it is only stronger.
You have to check the real HR count to monitor your T3 effect.

The effect you will have from a one shot trial will be the quick non genomic effect, whereas the long run effect with 3 doses/day will be the genomic effects. The later effect is longer to come, and probably more sensitive to thyroid resistance, so it worth doing a long trial, as long as your heart rate is fine.

How much is your heart rate before and during the 8 hours following your T3 intake?

frozenborderline

It took about 2 months of supplementing 2/3 times per day to get rid of most of my symptoms, with increasing doses.

My heart rate staid between 62 and 81/mn, although it can be easily increased by stress, and I also noticed that taking prednisolone lowered it.

I also noticed that my heart beat seems stronger when taking T3, so sometimes you can feel your heart beat is quicker, although it is only stronger.

The effect you will have from a one shot trial will be the quick non genomic effect, whereas the long run effect with 3 doses/day will be the genomic effects. The later effect is longer to come, and probably more sensitive to thyroid resistance, so it worth doing a long trial, as long as your heart rate is fine.

How much is your heart rate before and during the 8 hours following your T3 intake?

The first time I took t3 is the only time I measured my heart rate with an actual pulse oximeter. It increased about 5 bpm i think. It's tricky because the nervousness from trying a medication quickens the pulse. Peat talks about that being a confounding factor for diagnostics based on pulse--stress hormones, which are anti-metabolic, can also cause a high pulse rate. I think he says something about taking pulse after a meal to make sure it isn't just influenced by stress hormones. anyway I think I'm going to give it a rest, for a week or two, and talk to my doctor and then try it again

frozenborderline

why do you think you initially worsened/what did that look like? did you get stress reactions?

pattismith

My symptoms worsened at first when I increased T3 intakes (headache, brain fog, muscle stiffness, weakness, muscle pains, etc)

You have to relaxe before taking your HR, and you have to do it several times during the 8 hours after the T3 intake.

How much is your HR at rest (you have to lay down when you check it)?
How much during the 8 hours after T3 intake?

frozenborderline

My symptoms worsened at first when I increased T3 intakes (headache, brain fog, muscle stiffness, weakness, muscle pains, etc)

You have to relaxe before taking your HR, and you have to do it several times during the 8 hours after the T3 intake.

I know that generally, my heart rate at rest in the AM is about 60, but it raises a bunch after I have coffee, generally stays around 70-75, but a lot of that is just from stress hormones and I don't think it shows a high metabolic rate, which is why there's a subjective component (how you feel). I also eat so little I think that def. shows I'm hypometabolic

frozenborderline

I will measure more thoroughly during my next trial. Out of curiosity, what doses did you use? I thought that unless T4 is added, one isn't supposed to increase t3 beyond around 4 mcg per dose?

I meant to say, I did get a mild headache and some general discomfort/flu-like symptoms during my first trial but I also initially felt lighter and better. it's really hard to say, but hearing you say that initially you had issues with it makes me feel better, as I know maybe it's ok to work thru it and it''ll improve. maybe the initial symptoms have to do with the thyrodi resistance

pattismith

What I noticed is that the non genomic effect of T3 on my ion channels only worked once a day for some reason;

Once I did the 3 intakes per day, this effect disappeared and I had to wait for the genomic effect to establish.

I think the bad effects I had at first were from tissu adaptation and deiodinase regulation.
You can have too much T3 in some tissus and not enought in others, and this is the problem we may face.

The important thing is that your heart musn't be in hyper, so the monitoring must be serious and the increase of the intake progressive.

I started with 3 mcg once a day 3 months ago, and now I am at 75 mcg (25+25+25) and still increasing the dose, with some prednisolone

frozenborderline

What I noticed is that the non genomic effect of T3 on my ion channels only worked once a day for some reason;

Once I did the 3 intakes per day, this effect disappeared and I had to wait for the genomic effect to establish.

I think the bad effects I had at first were from tissu adaptation and deiodinase regulation.
You can have too much T3 in some tissus and not enought in others, and this is the problem we may face.

The important thing is that your heart musn't be in hyper, so the monitoring must be serious and the increase of the intake progressive.

I started with 3 mcg once a day 3 months ago, and now I am at 75 mcg (25+25+25) and still increasing the dose, with some prednisolone
really, you don't take T4 with it?

jason30

I just think that having the iodine react with the starch might be healthier than having it react with my inner tissues. I assume that it then releases a bit slower, perhaps forms a compound that the body handles more easily. I don't see a downside to putting it on something starchy first.

Oh yah, it also makes it easier to swallow it without tasting it! :)

Thanks, clearly.

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
debored13, I'm a little late to this discussion but remind me what were your SPINA numbers? Not everyone does well on T3, especially if you already have high GD. Blanchard's protocol is not a placebo, I can attest to that but it implies taking T4 and low dose of slow release T3 to help T4 to T3 conversion. For me there is even a physiological difference between taking 0.3 and 0.4 mcg - and I've been doing this too long to be susceptible to any placebo effect from it. I would really encourage anyone to try that first before going on high doses of T3, which is much less physiological. If I knew about Blanchard's protocol, I could've spared myself a lot of needless suffering that came from taking too much T3. And yes, even 3.0 mcg is an overkill for someone like myself.

By the way, I've finally written up two blog posts about SPINA, which I learned about thanks to you. Take a look and please help me spread the word. If you guys leave comments on my site, it also helps with moving it up the google ranks.

http://www.chronicfatiguediagnosis.com/2018/05/29/spina-model-going-beyond-tsh/

http://www.chronicfatiguediagnosis.com/2018/05/30/applying-spina-model-in-practice/

Wishful

The TSH test also assumes that inputs to the hypothalamus are 'normal', which is not necessarily the case when the immune system is activated. A TSH of 8.3 might just mean: 'Your immune system is active and producing extra macrophage inflammatory proteins.' Your test numbers might look bad, but your thyroid system might be operating in a healthy manner to an abnormal immune system state.