The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

My success story. Tons of biotin.

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by BiotinJunkie, Feb 16, 2017.

1. calsi

calsi

do you guys have studies on biotin that may help show why it would be helpful? thanks

2. BiotinJunkie

BiotinJunkie

Russia
    Probably not, but it feels like something familiar...

I just checked my logs and noticed that I have bought Taurine four months ago but forgot it to try.

3. BiotinJunkie

BiotinJunkie

Russia
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17182796
    "Biotin deficiency inhibits heme synthesis and impairs mitochondria in human lung fibroblasts"
    Just googled it with "Krebs cycle biotin" request.

And the link from pubmed page that mentioned above:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26343941
    "Biotin deprivation impairs mitochondrial structure and function and has implications for inherited metabolic disorders."

pamojja and Learner1 like this.
  4. gregh286

gregh286 Senior Member

Londonderry, Northern Ireland.
    Interesting.
    How long after you stop taking biotin do you start to crash with no energy.
    Is such high doses safe long.term.

5. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    Anyone know what might be depleting biotin in the first place, assuming its not a genetic issue?

keenly likes this.
  6. BiotinJunkie

BiotinJunkie

Russia
    I would start to feel very unpleasant cognitive and mood decline in less than one day.

7. enna

enna

Did you start to see an improvement of your symptoms from the beginning of the supplementation? Did you "only" had a cognitive fatigue or in the whole body (muscles)? I have a deficiency but did not recognice a improvemnt with 10mg a day... I think of trying your protocol, but it is very expencive... thanks for sharing your experiences! :)

8. BiotinJunkie

BiotinJunkie

Russia
    I did start to see an improvement of my symptoms from the first 10 mg capsule taken under the tongue (but not from the first eaten).
    I did only had a cognitive fatigue.

I did forget to mention. Large amounts of Slippery Elm is not needed for me now (I have cut it gradually to just a 2 capsules after the meal).
    And currently I am taking for stomach the standard dosages of 1) "Solgar, Ester-C Plus, Vitamin C, 1000 mg, 90 Tablets"
    and 2) "Doctor's Best, Zinc-Carnosine Complex with PepZin Gl, 120 Veggie Caps".
    Probably my stomach partially get used to such a high dosages of biotin. Or probably Ester-C helped me to cut Slippery Elm.

enna and pamojja like this.
  9. BiotinJunkie

BiotinJunkie

Russia
    As far as I have read, currently there are no scientific evidence for serious side effects from very big dosages of biotin (I have read somewhere about rare case where someone eats 300 mg of biotin daily).

enna likes this.
  10. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    Repeat - Anyone know what might be depleting biotin in the first place, assuming its not a genetic issue?

11. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member

12. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    Thanks @mariovitali !

I also found these, which might be useful to explore rather than just taking lots of biotin:

1. Medications

Certain medicines may prevent your body from absorbing vitamins correctly. These medications include antibiotics and anti-seizure drugs. Additionally, antibiotics destroy the good bacteria in your gut that can naturally produce biotin.

2. Intestinal problems

Some chronic intestinal conditions may prevent your body from absorbing nutrients from food. These conditions include Crohn’s disease and colitis.

3. Long-term dieting

Strict eating may prevent you from getting a wide variety of vitamins and minerals from the food you eat. Eating a well-balanced diet is vital for your health, and you can still maintain or lose weight if that’s your goal.

13. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

What follows is speculative:

I personally noticed that high B5 foods increase the need for Biotin (e.g. potatoes, avocados, salmon). High Lysine/Beta-Alanine foods increase the need for Biotin (e.g. animal protein). Interestingly Taurine seems to help. Perhaps Biotin indirectly helps bile acid synthesis by competing with B5 for uptake/transport, and by using up some lysine. B5, Beta-Alanine and Lysine disturb bile acid production.

anni66, Learner1 and Eastman like this.
  14. Eastman

Eastman Senior Member

I found these on B5 competition with biotin for uptake:

Biotin uptake by human colonic epithelial NCM460 cells: a carrier-mediated process shared with pantothenic acid

High specificity in response of the sodium-dependent multivitamin transporter to derivatives of pantothenic acid

15. Gondwanaland

16. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    I do supplement with 6g lysine, 2g beta-alanine and 2g B5 daily. Must be really dumb that I don't feel any adverse effects from antagonism to bile acid synthesis.. :whistle: Also get almost 70% of my calorie-intake from fats, healthy fats.

keenly likes this.
  17. Gondwanaland

This surely changes the game. I get great bile flow from just eating sat animal fat.

mariovitali and pamojja like this.
  18. Eastman

Eastman Senior Member

The Linus Pauling Institute gives the following causes of biotin deficiency:

• Prolonged intravenous feeding (parenteral) without biotin supplementation
    • Infants fed an elemental formula devoid of biotin
    • Consumption of raw egg white for a prolonged period

It also mentions the following as risk factors:

• Smoking
    • Pregnancy
    • Liver disease
    • Anticonvulsant medications

mariovitali likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.