• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My story and progress with cfs recovery and treatments used.

jeffrez

Can you point me to a gluten free NA? I can get the New Planet brand locally but they don't seem to have an NA one--didn't see an NA one on the lists?

Sushi

Oh sorry, are those gluten-free but not non-alcoholic? There must be one out there somewhere!

Hip

Aren't beers pretty much gluten free anyway? I have always been gluten intolerant — I get depression within an hour of eating gluten — but I never had a problem with beer. Wheat beer is another story, and when I once drunk wheat beer, that did provoke a gluten reaction in me.

jeffrez

This Clausthaler is delicious. I'll probably keep drinking this just for the taste, as well as the putative anti-inflammatory and other benefits, even if it doesn't make me feel noticeably better. Great stuff. :)

jeffrez

Hops appear to be anti-Syndrome X (metabolic syndrome):

J Oleo Sci. 2013;62(5):283-92.
Effect of Dietary Polyphenols from Hop (Humulus lupulus L.) Pomace on Adipose Tissue Mass, Fasting Blood Glucose, Hemoglobin A1c, and Plasma Monocyte Chemotactic Protein-1 Levels in OLETF Rats.

Yui K, Uematsu H, Muroi K, Ishii K, Baba M, Osada K.
Source

Department of Agricultural Chemistry, School of Agriculture, Meiji University.
Abstract

Hop (Humulus lupulus L.) pomace contains procyanidin-rich polyphenols, which are large oligomeric compounds of catechin. We studied the effect of high dose (1%) of dietary hop pomace polyphenols (HPs) in Otsuka Long-EvansTokushima Fatty (OLETF) rats, an animal model of type 2 diabetes. By 70 days, the rats fed HPs tended to have a lower body weight and reduced mesenteric white adipose tissue weight than the rats fed a control diet. Triglyceride levels in both plasma and liver tended to be lower in the HPs-fed group than in the control group. Dietary HPs substantially suppressed the activities of hepatic fatty acid synthetase, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase, and malic enzyme, through the suppression of SREBP1c mRNA expression in OLETF rats. Moreover, in the HPs-fed group, monocyte chemotactic protein-1 (MCP-1) expression and fasting blood glucose levels at 40 days, and hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) levels at 70 days were significantly lower than those in the control group. Thus, dietary HPs may exert an ameliorative function on hepatic fatty acid metabolism, glucose metabolism, and inflammatory response accompanying the increase of the adipose tissue mass in OLETF rats.

brenda

Hey thanks for putting me onto this. I have a problem with gluten but can eat it when fermented so l bought a pack of Cobra non alcoholic beer and they are a nice change from distilled water.

Allyson

thanks chocoholic,

yes i agree that cfs is a term thats doctors use when they have no idea!

im going to read into your post as its quite detailed and i need to grasp what these terms are
and the outcome for our bodies in that respect.

should have been on here sooner to learn about people's experiences!

Richard you mention garlic - galrici snot good for anyone with IBe whcih PWME often have -
perhaps check out the low FODMAPS diet - that relieves IBS symptoms in people with fructose intolerance which you may have if fruit is an issue.

Stone frutis and berris are tolerated better - avoud apples and ears and watermilon especially which have a high fructose-to glucose ration and so irritate IBS

good luck,,
Ally

brenda

I drank three bottles of alcohol free COBRA yesterday with no effect from gluten.

I found it a bit difficult to get to sleep last night but slept all night. I had an attack of interstitial cystitis which I get when I take methylation supps so perhaps a touch of inflamation.When I woke this morning, I felt different - a little stimulated and less groggy than I usually feel. It feels a little forced as the heaviness behind my eyes is just the same. I am not keen to repeat the experiment today due to the bladder discomfort but will do so just in case there was another cause.

Hip

UPDATE:

I have been taking Swanson Perluxan Alpha Acids Complex 500 mg twice daily now for 3 days, and I have noticed an increase in my spiritual state and spiritual self-awareness.

I previously observed (in this thread) that ME/CFS has dramatically reduced my spiritual sense, so I am always on the lookout for any supplements or treatments that can bring back some of my lost spiritual awareness. Since taking these hops alpha acids supplements, I have noticed something of spiritual boost, which is very welcome. Let's see if this improvement in spiritual consciousness remains over the coming days, as I continue to take alpha acids.

This article about the hops plant (Humulus lupulus) indicates that hops are known to have psychoactive spiritual effects. Here are some excerpts from the article:
Many people only associate the hops plant with beer and do not consider it an entheogen. However, it [hops] does create altered states, both on its own and brewed in to alcoholic beverages, and for some people it can be a very powerful healer.

The hops plant is the closest relative of hemp. Cannabis and hops are the only plants in the Cannabaceae family.

Hildegard von Bingen was the first to precisely describe the plant’s psychoactive effects.

hey guys, sorry about the delay in being on here!

Yes cobra is a good brand to try i have had that.

All: thanks for the information i do get some ibs related issues so will look into that.

jeffrez: it looks an interesting study, but its getting beyond my understanding of science,
id like to understand the implications of what they found.

Hip: So glad you seeing some difference, its what help brought back some of what
i felt was missing from me by this whole experience! ive ordered some of the suppliment too
to give that a try also!

jeffrez

hey guys, sorry about the delay in being on here!

Yes cobra is a good brand to try i have had that.

All: thanks for the information i do get some ibs related issues so will look into that.

jeffrez: it looks an interesting study, but its getting beyond my understanding of science,
id like to understand the implications of what they found.

Hip: So glad you seeing some difference, its what help brought back some of what
i felt was missing from me by this whole experience! ive ordered some of the suppliment too
to give that a try also!

Hi Richard, what they found basically was that the hops seemed to ameliorate the signs of metabolic syndrome. The metabolic syndrome is a collection of "modern lifestyle" effects like increased insulin resistance, increased blood glucose, increased triglycerides and fats in the liver, obesity and weight around the middle, inflammation from the accumulated fat, etc. that can all lead to cardiovascular disease and other issues. Obviously none of those things are good to have even on their own. The hops exerted a protective effect against those effects!

I'm going to try the alpha hops supplement, too. I don't really care about any spiritual effects - day to day life is "spiritual" enough for me :p - but the health benefits of hops appear to be so great that it almost seems foolish not to take them. A case or two of NA beer a week can also get expensive, not to mention calorie loaded, so a hops supplement ultimately might be the best way to go.

jeffrez

This article looks to be a really good overview of the metabolic syndrome and treatments for it.

http://www.drdebe.com/reversing-the-number-1-cause-of-illness-obesity-accelerated-aging.html

An especially effective supplement is a new one called Insinase. It is the result of extensive research and development. It combines extracts from hops and acacia, and has been demonstrated to improve blood sugar and insulin levels about as well as two diabetes medications: Metformin and Avandia. What's more, it lowers triglyceride levels about 45 points. Best of all, there appear to be no side effects.

I wouldn't say no side effects, because I had a very nasty immune/allergic response to acacia a few years ago, but the hops portion again seems to be a powerful agent against Syndrome X!

jefferz this is great info: This is a new side to hops i did not know about, so it may have assisting properties
in many different areas of the body.

The beer certainly is calorie loaded, so long term the supplements may be the way to go, im excited to try
them. If everyone reports how they find them that would be excellent information. Im interested if i can have the same benefits without drinking all this fluid! Id rather not be drinking the stuff all day.

Hip

ive ordered some of the suppliment too
to give that a try also!

It will be great to get your feedback on the alpha acids supplement, especially your appraisal of the effects of alpha acids in comparison to drinking non-alcoholic beer, which is the current therapeutic reference point that you have provided. My very rough calculation suggests that taking one Swanson alpha acids 500 mg capsule every 12 hours (two capsules a day) is equivalent to drinking 70 bottles of beer a day, in terms of the alpha acids provided!

I'm going to try the alpha hops supplement, too. I don't really care about any spiritual effects - day to day life is "spiritual" enough for me :p - but the health benefits of hops appear to be so great that it almost seems foolish not to take them.

I don't mean anything exotic by using the term "spiritual awareness". I essentially just mean "conscious awareness".

I have found that ME/CFS reduces your state of conscious awareness — conscious awareness of the environment around you, and your conscious awareness of your own self and your internal state of mind. We tend to miss many of the nuances and minutiae of life due to this low consciousness we have as a result of ME/CFS.

I suppose the opposite of "conscious/spiritual awareness" is "oblivion", and for me, due to ME/CFS, most of my days are spent more in a state of oblivion than in a state of perceptive conscious awareness.

So if I am correct in sensing that the alpha acids supplement boosts conscious awareness to a degree, this would suggest this supplement is helping to counter the oblivion state of ME/CFS a little bit.

Ive ordered the same tablets as yourself from a company called health monthly uk.
I will try reducing the beer a little and taking the tablets and see if any changes occur.

I think you will find an energy boost that will settle a little but the clearer feeling consciousness
should stick with you, which is what ive found.

Will report any changes i have on the forum. Just want there to be a good record of what happens when
people try these products.

jeffrez

It will be great to get your feedback on the alpha acids supplement, especially your appraisal of the effects of alpha acids in comparison to drinking non-alcoholic beer, which is the current therapeutic reference point that you have provided. My very rough calculation suggests that taking one Swanson alpha acids 500 mg capsule every 12 hours (two capsules a day) is equivalent to drinking 70 bottles of beer a day, in terms of the alpha acids provided!

I don't mean anything exotic by using the term "spiritual awareness". I essentially just mean "conscious awareness".

I have found that ME/CFS reduces your state of conscious awareness — conscious awareness of the environment around you, and your conscious awareness of your own self and your internal state of mind. We tend to miss many of the nuances and minutiae of life due to this low consciousness we have as a result of ME/CFS.

I suppose the opposite of "conscious/spiritual awareness" is "oblivion", and for me, due to ME/CFS, most of my days are spent more in a state of oblivion than in a state of perceptive conscious awareness.

So if I am correct in sensing that the alpha acids supplement boosts conscious awareness to a degree, this would suggest this supplement is helping to counter the oblivion state of ME/CFS a little bit.

Oh, I see. I haven't noticed that so much, unless say spiraling into a crash. The hops seem to have calmative effects on the CNS, so perhaps it's all related somehow. Some of the anti-metabolic syndrome effects might even have to do with downregulating the HPAA a little (reducing excess sympathetic activity, etc.). Going to try those capsules, thanks for pointing those out!

Hip

richard jarritt: Thanks once again for writing up your experiences with non-alcoholic beer as a treatment for ME/CFS. It is always great when an ME/CFS patient discovers some beneficial treatment and takes the time to detail it.

jeffrez: alpha acids reduce the inflammatory cytokine IL-6 (see this study provided by Richard), and IL-6 seems to cause reduced concentration and brain fog symptoms: IL-6 causes fatigue, reduce ability to concentrate, difficulties with memory and learning, and cognitive decline. In short, IL-6 seems to be a sort of "essence of brain fog" cytokine. And studies have shown IL-6 to be elevated in ME/CFS.

So my hunch is that IL-6 reduction may be the mechanism by which alpha acids boost conscious awareness.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Hip
interesting.... my IL-6 result was 61 range (0.00 - 5.00)
so maybe I should get some alpha acids?