• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

my stomach swells like im 9 months pregnant..anyone else?

There is no need for testing intestinal permeability - it is obvious that he has it. He is reacting to food about 40min after eating... And ginseng made him slow anafalax reaction.... If he eats something with food dye or conservatives he is getting itchy. I'm going to the conclusion that his metilation cycle is blocked and he is missing enzymes and gluthatione. That is the problem with autistic children also but they are too complicated case and do not pay attention to this problem only.....

He has comprehensive stool analysis done, and everything looks fine. May be lacto flora a little bit diminishing...

nanonug

I'm not aware how to do deal with that problem, can you advise? He is 3.5 years old

My advice, in this case, is to find a competent pediatric gastroenterologist to properly diagnose and treat intestinal barrier dysfunction. Meanwhile, the link I provided in my previous message should help you get a better understanding of the disease, how to diagnose and how to treat.

Here in my country there are no "competent pediatric gastroenterologist ". I've went to many and they all said that the kid is healthy and that he has not got any problem as seen at his blood tests etc. One gastro proffesor told me - get used to it, some people live with that foods regime all their lives.... One told me to give him milk in front of her as to be sure that I'm not mad.....

I'm reading the link you supplied, what is "dietary supplementation with trophic nutrients. "?
We don't have disbiosis (me and him) and he is really healthy if eating his 10 foods only...

nanonug

Here in my country there are no "competent pediatric gastroenterologist ".

I am very sorry to hear that. It's not like there is an overabundance of competent physicians here in the US either. However, given the size of this country, there is a greater opportunity to shop around if push comes to shove. I really don't know what to say regarding your situation.

what is "dietary supplementation with trophic nutrients."?

Well, that just means the nutrients that are required for the proper function of the gut.

nanonug

Why do you think that methilation is not primary? We have MTHFR mutation and may be others....

I know two people that are compound heterozygous for MTHFR C677T and A1298C. One of them is my wife. Neither have anything resembling the gut issues that I have (I am only heterozygous for A1298C). I am currently waiting for the Intestinal Permeability Assessment test results. I would be very surprised if intestinal hyperpermeability is not the issue here, in my case.

PS. What are you looking at?

Okay GI friends. I love this discussion. Big, important thoughts. I also think we may have a MTHFR mutation at the bottom of this whole mess. Either that or a mild chromosome 22q 11.2 deletion ( DiGeorge syndrome) issue. ( could MTHFR be part of that ? must check) Malrotation of the gut can be associated with the chromosome 22q 11.2 deletions - as can a multitude of other ( often minor) congenital issues. Like spina bifida occulta - both me and my one child have this. Also these other issues can be part of 22q 11.2 deletions: tethered cord, scoliosis, vertebral anomalies - like cervical ribs (me), extra vertebrae, high-arched palate ( I've got it), foot/finger/toe oddities( me again), late descent of testicle ( my son),scoliosis( yes - me, all thru maternal line), mild urogenital anomalies, allergies/immune issues, Chiari malformations, structural heart issues (yes - Mom's cousins, my great nieces), speech delays ( my son and my nephew) etc etc etc. So, the gut issues are never an isolated problem. The geneticist told me: People never get just one congenital issue. I did not have the $$ to test for 22q 11.2 deletions, but maybe we could encourage this research.

Many of these congenital glitches do not have huge problems associated with their presence - like cervical ribs, funny toes/fingers/feet and so on. But a gut that that long, hypermobile, or twisted a bit may be a huge issue that triggers numerous immune and dietary issues. Plus, the gut and autonomic nervous systems 'talk' constantly. In spinal injury patients the 2 biggest causes of "autonomic dysreflexia" are a full bowel and a full bladder. So could these kinky colons be "setting off" our entire autonomic systems ?

Try this site: http://www.obstructed-defaecation.com - by Professor Dr. Deya Marzouk, colorectal surgeon. This doctor understands structural issues associated with gut problems.

Yes, I wish there were easier answers - a pill, a 'program,' something. But I have led a support group for 10 years, and struggled for 14 years. No easier answer yet.

I also have some issues with acid reflex and occasional vomiting. Sometimes I'll get the swelling, but not quite that much. The high sodium diet can really bloat you, as well as some of the medications that help you hold on to sodium.

When you go out to eat, bring a container (or ask for one when you order your food) for whatever you can't eat. I know some places like Olive Garden are horrible with portion size. I find that its a lot easier to keep down smaller meals throughout the day, than 3 big ones.

Nielk

I just read through this thread quickly.

I have been experiencing tremendous swelling all over my body this past month. It has been getting worse.
It is in my hands, legs and stomach. I don't fit into my clothes. I can't wear my rings. I can't even make a fist with my hand anymore.

Do you only have swelling in the stomach?

ukxmrv

No, NielK, the rest of my body swells too. It goes up and down. My stomach is by far the worst and most noticable area.

Had to have a ring cut off my finger once. Need to keep a collection of clothes, shoes etc in different sizes. However, I only tend to go up and down within the same range. I know when it is a large up or a large down.

Sorry to hear that this has happened to you in the last month though. Mine's been happening for years.
Hopefully others will have some idea why it would happen as you describe in one month.

It sounds unusual and I'd check with my Dr. if there are no hints here. Have there been any other changes in the past month?

Nielk

Thanks ukxmrv.
My big change has been my withdrawal from Klonopin and I'm still having withdrawal symptoms. I don't see swelling
as a withdrawal symptoms but, who knows? I was told to expect many strange things to happen to my body.

Hi, all.

Intestinal bloating is caused by gas generation, typically carbon dioxide that results from fermentation of sugars or starches by yeasts.

What can be done about it?

In the short term, augmenting the stomach acid with betaine-HCl or Allergy Research Group dilute hydrochloric acid, and killing the yeasts with herbal anti-yeast remedies or enzyme products such as Candex or others that contain cellulase and hemicellulase, which digest the cell walls of the yeast, or with anti-yeast drugs will knock down the bloating. Avoiding sugars and starches in the diet will also help.

In the longer term, the vicious circle needs to be broken. That's what the methylation treatments (discussed elsewhere in these forums) are designed to do. The one I have suggested can be found at the end of Part 7 in the General Wiki section of these forums.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi Rich,

Regarding fermantation of sugar, Does it specifically fermented sugar from all the other fermented food?

What is betaine-HCl or Allergy Research Group dilute hydrochloric acid?

richvank

Hi Rich,

Regarding fermantation of sugar, Does it specifically fermented sugar from all the other fermented food?

What is betaine-HCl or Allergy Research Group dilute hydrochloric acid?

Hi, Rachel.

Yeasts specifically ferment sugars, and they produce alcohol, aldehyde and carbon dioxide from it. Starches are made up of sugars, so if the starch is broken down into sugars, the yeasts can ferment it, too.

If you mean food that is already fermented when it is eaten, such as sauerkraut, pickles,. etc., this food has already been fermented, usually by certain types of bacteria.

There are bacteria in the gut that can ferment foods and produce carbon dioxide gas, also, but I think that most commonly the gas production is due to overgrowth of yeasts.

Best regards,

Rich

JT1024

I'm not aware how to do deal with that problem, can you advise? He is 3.5 years old

I read some of your posts and you mentioned the lack of access to a good pediatric gastroenterologist. You will be able to find a large amount of information if you check out Dr. Alessio Fasano. I heard him speak at a conference on autoimmunity a year ago and was very impressed. A little information on him and some links are below:
Alessio Fasano, M.D. directs the Mucosal Biology Research Center and the Center for Celiac Research at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Much of his research focuses on the relationship between intestinal permeability and the problems associated with it.
He and his research team have discovered a molecule, which they named zonulin. Zonulin is involved in the regulation of the spaces between intestinal cell walls (the permeability of the intestinal wall).
Dr. Fasano’s research has linked zonulin to the many autoimmune diseases, including type 1-diabetes, celiac disease, and multiple sclerosis. Dr. Fasano writes:

"Discovery of zonulin prompted us to search the medical literature for human disorders characterized by increased intestinal permeability...much to my surprise.. many autoimmune diseases – among them, celiac disease, type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and inflammatory bowel diseases – all have as a common denominator aberrant intestinal permeability".

In other words, many diseases start or are worsened by a leaky gut. Increasing the levels of zonulin increases the permeability of the intestinal wall.
Other factors are also involved, but the autoimmune response seems to be triggered by gut permeability and the leakage of foreign proteins which mimic self proteins into the blood stream.
http://medschool.umaryland.edu/facultyresearchprofile/viewprofile.aspx?id=1891

http://www.celiaccenter.org/

http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com/leaky-gut.html

JT1024

I've read Dr. Fasano suggestions, but they not suitable for our case. My child is getting ill only if he eats something that he reacts too. But the foods are too many, that he really can eat like 10 foods. So first, I've made tests - antigliadin test shows that we have no problem with gluten. Also my child is very well developed physically - large chests, big bones, he is tall, strong... that is not sign of gluten problem and being at his diet all over his life, there is no way to be so, no other source of calcium for example. And second: probiotics and lacto-fermenting food - again we have problems with overreaction to them because of the histamine in the food, we are both with high histamine levels.

We are fast infected by viruses, but that has changes as I started to supplement with b6, magnesium and recently small doses of zink.

Rich's protocol is producing may be too much heat in his body and I think to stop it for now. My child is getting like heat rashes because of the FolaPro. First the rashes were over the throat and forehead, but now - at the back. I'm using also Methyl b12, but without FolaPro there isn't such effect. It's hot summer here - 37 C and I'll wait to see it how it will be in a cold time.

May be we need some "material" for the building of intestinal mucosa. Something like methionine or glutathion or MSM. I'm afraid to try it. We are lack of sulfur and also have egg allergy so only source of sulfur is cabbage... Some suggestions?

I just wrote a looonnng specific comment but got bumped off somehow. Bottom line : the neurology and intestinal structure is critical, critical, critical. Please read about MRI negative myelopathies :
http://pn.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/8/2/90
Also, intestinal malrotation, malattachment, redundant colon, hypermobile cecum, Ladd's bands. The are NOT RARE, may be present in 5 to 15% of population. Another important article : Fawcett WA et al. Immunodeficiency secondary to structural intestinal defects. Malrotation of the small bowel and cavernous hemangioma of the jejeunum. 1986, Vol.140 (2): 169. The immune system of these kids normalized after their bowel congenital anomalies were corrected. Congenital gut anomalies may not become terribly symptomatic until the nervous system also becomes involved.
Please read, read, read. A colorectal surgeon may be much more helpful than a gastroenterologist - true for me.

Parasites, Parasites, Parasites!
We have made many stool tests. Even Metametrix DNA stool test....... Nothing just enamoeba coli came out. But when we start treading with Mebendazol (Vermox here) - parasites were coming out together with liver fluke. SO, anyone should try a course with antiparasite and to check the poop everyday for a month after - still coming out.