• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My stand-by supplement for falling asleep

For most of my adult life (and certainly in my childhood) I have had difficulties falling asleep. Generally for me, staying asleep has rarely been a problem, but getting my mind and body to shut down at night has become agonizing for periods throughout my life (especially when stress is involved).

Since contracting ME/CFS I have been consistently taking a supplement that helps me relax before bedtime. Its made by Source Naturals, and its called Theanine Serene. It combines theanine with relora, magnesium, and other naturally derived substances that help to ease the body and the mind into a relaxed state. However, the relaxation you get from the substance is not at all arresting like a tranquilizer, but rather it is soothing and creates calm. I find it particularly helpful in reducing the nighttime effects of restless leg syndrome that I have experienced since becoming affected with ME/CFS.

You can find this supplement at the Vitamin Shoppe or many other online sources for vitamin supplements. Whole Foods sometimes carries this stuff too.

Take 2 tabs about 30 minutes before you go to bed. I hope it works as consistently for you as it has for me.

Best in health.

GP1787.jpg

Lisa108

I tried Taurine and GABA, but not combined as in this product (was advised by Doc to use Taurine in the mornings and GABA at bed-time). Taurine did nothing for me/my brainfog and I really disliked the flush that GABA gave me.
This product contains Sorbitol, so it's definitely a no-go for me...

(For those interested in what 'RELORA' is: 'a proprietary blend of a patented extract from Magnolia officinalis bark and a proprietary extract from Phellodendron amurense bark.)
One user on Iherb stated that relora gave her headaches, but that the theanine serene version without relora helped her with insomnia and anxiety...

There is a 'warnings' added on this product:
'If you are pregnant, may become pregnant, or breastfeeding, or taking any medication including anti-depressant drugs such as MAOIs, SSRIs, or other neuropsychiatric drugs or supplements such as St. John's wort, consult your health care professional before using this product. Excessive consumption may impair ability to drive or operate heavy equipment. Not recommended for consumption with alcoholic beverages.'

But I googled a bit about Theanine, and that's something I'd like to try in the future. So, thanks for the tip, @michaelsdeller!

Yeah, this supplement is a sort of proprietary blend that they make, and just because it works for me certainly dosn't mean that it is going to work as well for other people. However, various forms of theanine are available out there on the market without all the other stuff. And I really think that the theanine makes a difference when combined with melatonin and caffeine-free herbal teas as way to relax before bed.