• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My skin hurts if I consume alcohol

I am currently in the process of researching and testing whether I have a breakdown in my methylation cycle. In addition to my regular long list of symptoms, I have a strange symptom that no one has ever heard of or experienced. In all my research I have never heard it mentioned except for in this one forum http://www.steadyhealth.com/Bruised_feeling_all_over_body_after_drinking_alcohol_t132901.html. But everyone on this page is describing exactly what happens to me too.

When I drink alcohol, more particular if I drink more than 2 drinks or over consume, the next day my whole body feels sore and bruised to the touch. It is especially bad around my chest and upper arms, but it is usually all over. It does not happen immediately, and I do not have any of the typical alcohol intolerance symptoms like flushing, itching, dizziness or nausea/vomiting. I feel fine when I am consuming it, and strangely I often feel fine when I get up in the morning. It starts later in the day of the following day, I feel like I am getting the flu because my skin hurts everywhere to the touch. Sometimes it hurts to lay down. The day following that (48 hours) I usually always wake up with swelling and inflammation all over and in my face. Obviously I control this by just avoiding alcohol, but its such and odd and rare symptom I keep feeling like answering this mystery might shed light on some of my other symptoms. Could this be related to an impaired methylation cycle and I am just not able to break it down?

Some of it does an some of it doesn't at all. I have taken many tests over the years, nothing is ever concluded from them because my blood labs are always perfect. Except this time I knew enough to see a trend in my RBC's to pick out a b deficiency. The the mast cell symptoms, I do not have any skin lesions or irritations, I don't have high cholesterol. I have had an endoscopy and colonoscopy and both came up clean except for a few polyps in the esophagus and transverse colon. Generally these are my general symptoms, can you tell me if you think there is a fit?

Symptoms I have had for years
Severe Fatigue and muscle weakness
Weight gain, (possibly due to the fatigue and sugar cravings to seek energy)
Restless Leg at night
Heart feels like its racing, can become breathless with very little exertion.
Lightheaded and low blood pressure 90/58 , low body temp 97.8 average
Irritable
Sensitive to cold
Weak immune system, despite good diet and many supplements
Inability to concentrate
Numbness and tingling in my left toe, right knee
Joint/muscle aches and pain
Abdominal/intestinal pain, bloating, constipation

NEWER symptoms
Pressure in my neck and head especially at temples and behind the eyes, followed by severe
Irregular periods, when I do get them they are extremely heavy
Headaches – massage, chiropractic or pain meds can get rid of.
Pain around left ovary at ovulation and menstruation
Hair loss and eyelashes, especially on the inner edges.
Canker sores and sores in my mouth
Skin breakouts and bumps/sores all over in my head
Recent hives allergic reaction to antibiotics after a surgery (Keflex)

Now that I have read a little more, this is speaking to me. I know I have issued with histamines. I have suspected maybe I am histamine intolerant because I can often manage many of my symptoms by adhering to a strict low histamine diet. My triggers are typically food, though food allergy tests typically show little to no reaction. If the MCAS is constantly irritating the mucosal lining of the intestines, would it be correct to conclude it would lead to problems with methylation too?