• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My recovery story, in case anyone is interested

Mij

Oils are not whole food. The go off quickly also especially seed oils. I get my fat from ghee which l make from grass fed butter and consider oils to be unhealthy.

What do you mean by 'they go off quickly'?

Essential fatty oils from fish are healthy. Fish oils or eating fish.
Plant based oils could be what you are having problems with.
possibly correct, Mij. I remember my grandma and generations before always stating that a diet of vegetables root vegetables (in season fruits) and fish was the healthiest diet. but incidents like fukushima and the overall polution of the sea now makes me wonder if that is true in this day and age.

Mij

possibly correct, Mij. I remember my grandma and generations before always stating that a diet of vegetables root vegetables (in season fruits) and fish was the healthiest diet. but incidents like fukushima and the overall polution of the sea now makes me wonder if that is true in this day and age.

I take fish oils because my Omega3's were depleted years ago and found my cognitive issues improved. But yeah, it's pretty gross when we see what's being dumped into the oceans. I watched a program years ago where they said there were 100's of bombs from the wars still lying at the bottom of the ocean. Imagining what is seeping out of them for all these years makes my stomach turn.

Mij

Rancid. It starts after extraction. I only use freshly ground linseeds for that reason.

I eat freshing ground linseeds too and stay away from that particular oil. I love organic virgin coconut oil for cooking at high heat.

amaru7

I bought high dose, high quality, expensive fish oil back then and it smelled fishy from the start. The rancid issue I also had back then I think if the bad smell is proof for it.

I read some claim that high dose dha/epa is supposed to have a smell, but don't know if that's true.

I bought DHA 500 from now foods, which has 500 DHA and 250 EPA.

vegetable oils are not an alternative as far as I'm concerned, if one is seeking high dose fatty acids.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
No animal products (Although I can't say it would effect my progress, I just choose not to)
No dairy (I believe it's the most important thing to cut out when chronically ill)
No Gluten( I plan to add this back at some point, however I'm not risking anything for now)
No Oils
No Soy (Although I had a fermented soy product which seemed fine, normal soy made me breakout)
No Peanut butter( Iused to love this but it breaks me out and doesn't make me feel very good, since I cut out bread I dont really need any butter)
No added sugar products
No artifical stuff like aspartame etc

This is a very restrictive diet but from my experience it was nessecary to have a limited diet for a solid foundation of healing. It helped me narrow my problems down to events throughout the day etc knowing that my diet wasn't the cause.

I currently take no probiotics however I am adding water kefir back in purely because it is a damn tasty fizzy drink :) The probiotics do not hurt either!

As always, feel free to ask me anything at all! I recently posted a video showing 15 things I've changed in my daily life so If you want me to state it as a list here I will do that @MeSci

That's similar to my diet except that I don't avoid soya or oils. I seem to be OK with them, but I don't cook with unsaturated oils due to their susceptibility to oxidation. I cook with coconut oil and also spread it on bread, toast, etc.

Mij

I saw some coconut ghee oil at my health food store. I'm going to try it out. I'll bet it tastes really nice.

m1she11e

Thank you so much for sharing! I am going to start watching your videos because a lot of what you say just makes sense. I too have done the diet thing and the tapping and so on. Ive always believed it is the right combination and putting all the puzzle pieces together. I can really relate to the combination of many things being the "cure." If anything even gives you a small percentage of help it is a step in the right direction. They do add up. It makes me think of revisiting some of the things I have done in the past that I stopped because they were not the cure on their own.

I have to say that most of the genuine cures I have read about have been a combination of diet, stress reduction, changing our patterns of thought, some sort of deep breathing/meditation etc. They are not the one prescription cure that we have all been praying for. Not so far anyway. Although I believe it is the cure to all diseases even those with a name and an actual drug treatment.

I wish people would stop the dreaded "you may be well now but I had a remission once and now I cant lift my head. You will see!!!" I don't think it is helpful warnings. I think people just have to say something negative.

Thank you so much for coming here to share your story and being so kind despite some very negative responses!

Valentijn

I have to say that most of the genuine cures I have read about have been a combination of diet, stress reduction, changing our patterns of thought, some sort of deep breathing/meditation etc. They are not the one prescription cure that we have all been praying for. Not so far anyway. Although I believe it is the cure to all diseases even those with a name and an actual drug treatment.
What, healthy living is the cure for severe genetic diseases too? Even the ones which kill infants off within days of being born? Your hypothesis seems extremely unlikely, especially since a great many people do exactly the "right" things, yet still become or remain ill.
I wish people would stop the dreaded "you may be well now but I had a remission once and now I cant lift my head. You will see!!!" I don't think it is helpful warnings. I think people just have to say something negative.
Well, since positive thinking has yet to cure anyone, I suppose many people have opted to stick with reality. And since prematurely believing ourselves to be cured and then exceeding our limitations has led many to severely relapse, I think it's natural that compassionate people would want to warn others. I really don't think that it's appropriate to suggest that people should sacrifice the health of themselves and others in the name of maintaining a positive outlook.

m1she11e

What, healthy living is the cure for severe genetic diseases too? Even the ones which kill infants off within days of being born? Your hypothesis seems extremely unlikely, especially since a great many people do exactly the "right" things, yet still become or remain ill.

Well, since positive thinking has yet to cure anyone, I suppose many people have opted to stick with reality. And since prematurely believing ourselves to be cured and then exceeding our limitations has led many to severely relapse, I think it's natural that compassionate people would want to warn others. I really don't think that it's appropriate to suggest that people should sacrifice the health of themselves and others in the name of maintaining a positive outlook.

I think a combination of diet and other positive modalities could and have been the cure for almost every illness out there. No, it doesn't appear to work for everyone all the time. Hasn't worked for me as of yet. Im talking mainly about chronic illness like MS, Lupus etc. It probably will at least greatly help any Chronic Illness. My point was that it makes sense for any disease even those that are lucky enough to actually be taken seriously. People just get the mind set that this thing we have is hopeless unless they find the one factor that fits us all and issue us an official cure.

I don't even know how to respond to your second paragraph....Compassionate people out warning others...I guess I don't see it that way what so ever. This is why I usually stay away from these forums. I just check from time to time to see if there is any new and useful information.

When I have energy btw, I use it and enjoy that day to the fullest. I have never and will never choose to lay there in fear of a relapse. I have been doing this for over 30 years despite the "compassionate" warnings of others!

Rlman

Rancid. It starts after extraction. I only use freshly ground linseeds for that reason.
@brenda , if a eat lacto-fermented blended sunflower seeds (presoaked 24hrs) is that ok? I know the seeds have oil. First my mom soaks the seeds 24 hrs, then blends them in 1 cup water, then lets them sit in the water for 24-48 hrs so that they lacto-ferment (it tastes great and has lots of natural probiotics)

brenda

@brenda , if a eat lacto-fermented blended sunflower seeds (presoaked 24hrs) is that ok? I know the seeds have oil. First my mom soaks the seeds 24 hrs, then blends them in 1 cup water, then lets them sit in the water for 24-48 hrs so that they lacto-ferment (it tastes great and has lots of natural probiotics)

I can't give an answer to this, but it sounds okay to me. You would need to ask someone with more knowledge than me.

leokitten

For me I imagine that this kind of lifestyle would mean I would have to leave my family, live alone and pay for a full time carer to cook for me etc. I have a family, children, am too ill to spend a lot of time sorting out food, also on a very low family income - at times I just have to eat whatever is in the house that I can eat quickly and easily. Right now am trying low histamine diet as my mast cells are over active, I have also been diagnosed with EDS type III recently and neither of these issues can be cured with lifestyle changes im afraid. (other than the low histamine diet, hwicch isn't a cure, but slightly controlling symptoms)

I'm really glad for you that you have recovered and I hope your videos help those who are able to also reach some level of recovery, but for me I have enough to deal with in my life without feeling I need to take this level of responsibility for my illness. That may sound strange to many - why shouldn't I take responsibility for myself. Well because talking about this many changes of lifestyle in order to 'cure' yourself is only the kind of advice that is offered to Pwme to do. If I had another, more well recognised disease then I would have real treatments and support. This kind of approach for me personally feels like a way of blaming myself for being ill if I cant live up to it - I have been there and done that and I do not believe my illness is of the type that I can drastically change through my own lifestyle efforts.

I've started using milk again recently and I eat pasta, and other carbs and I really am bored of people saying I will never get better if I still eat these things. My friend had cancer, she had surgery, chemotherapy and fantastic care and she got better. No one threw their hands up in horror because she ate a wholemeal sandwich, or because she is a vegetarian, or because sometimes she ate cream cakes.

This is just my reaction to how this kind of thread makes me feel. I really am trying to be respectful, because I know we are all different round here and different people are helped by different things. I was on a no sugar including no fruit, no dairy, gluten free diet, resting all the time, restricting computer use etc etc for three years andit made very little difference to my overall heath. The best thing was just rest and pacing. I have found out I shouldn't eat eggs from testing and since stopping eating them all the time(I am a vegetarian and just made my health worse trying not to eat any grains and just eating veggies, eggs, some legumes occasionally and fish) I managed to get rid of most of my stomach problems. I jumped on board the juicing wagon at one point (not fruit, green juicing) and all that happened was that I developed the most excruciating stomach pain I have ever experienced that took weeks after I stopped to resolve.

@james7a I do appreciate you spending the time and effort to tell everyone what worked for you but I have to say after seeing your videos and reading this thread I felt exactly like @justy.

Except that in my life with CFS I have a full-time job that I am desperately trying to not lose and having to work 40 hrs per week with this horrendous illness and all the stress and deadlines of a real job means that I, using @justy words, cannot take this much responsibility for my illness to make such restrictive and difficult lifestyle changes in order to have some small and remote hope of recovering. Trust me I don't have a bad lifestyle, I already eat healthy enough and have tried so many diets to no avail.

We need real disease modifying treatments just like other people get with other serious diseases so that they don't have to drop everything, stop working, and put their entire lives on hold by restricting so many things in order to get better.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing.
I believe in holistic approach. Also I believe it's possible that body can heal by itself if we give ourselves good diet, rest, time, positive mindset, etc.
Sometimes I think it's the only hope to believe in it when there is no cure in medical term.

leokitten

And what if you have a great diet, rest as much as possible, have a positive mindset and do absolutely everything short of stopping my life in order to fight this disease?

What if still after doing this for after almost 2.5 years you don't get better? That is me. This is a very serious disease that rarely gets better just from lifestyle changes.

I find it insane that lifestyle diseases, e.g. heart disease, obesity, most type 2 diabetes, etc have complete backing by the medical industry and insurance with a plethora of drugs available and medical procedures and people with those diseases are not forced to make monumental lifestyle changes in lieu treatment even though we know that would cure their disease.

But ME/CFS, a disease that is not caused by lifestyle, we are asked to such monumental lifestyle changes with no guarantees that it will work?

Last edited:
My body doesn't heal yet. I am in the bed day after day for months. I can not prepare haelthy meals for myself.
But also I didn't have other options to cure this monster. Do you have a miracle drug? There is no cure.
That's why I WANT to believe that maybe my body can heal itself. I need hope.