• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My recovery story, in case anyone is interested

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!
@james7a Thank you for sharing your success story! Regardless of what changes you made, and the fact that they may or may not work for others, it is important that you shared your story. This will give hope to people that recovery is possible!

liverock

@aquariusgirl ok you've terrified me. But I feel fine now? maybe I do just have high b12? I had never taken b12 supplements/shots before when I had my b12 test. If i feel fine and i am in remission should I be worried? thanks

also I'm no longer depressed either
@james7a
Once you go off gluten altogether your B12 rises because gluten affects B12 absorption. Try increasing green veggies which are higher in folate and combined with the extra B12 could help increase methylation.

This is a video of how gluten lowers B12 and can lead to all sorts of problems.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
There are a lot of threads here on PR that discuss the evils of gluten. I have tried a very reduced gluten diet but did not get spectacular results.
That's not to say that I don't think there is some merit to this. I'm just posting because I've been thinking about gluten and since it's being mentioned I'd like to wonder aloud if maybe there is some fine tuning to be done with regard to thinking about gluten. I'm just putting it out there to wonder if the Genetically modified stuff that is so ubiquitous now is really the culprit.
Although if we've become sensitive I suppose it's possible at that point that any gluten could be bad.

maddietod

The problem with testing a single food sensitivity is twofold. First, in lots of people a tiny amount triggers the same reaction as a regular portion. Second, if you're sensitive to a few common foods and you pull one out of your diet, you might not notice any difference at all.

I think James is only reporting about what helped him improve. He never said he had a cure for everyone.
I don't see that anyone offended james. He is to be admired for sharing his info.
However, I was serious when I said that DR Lipkin would like to know any success story.
And I wonder about which "cohort/subset/strata level " are we talking about? The bad one from Incline?

@David Hammond -it was through urine and hair testing and then also muscle testing at another place. Now I'm being told that I don't have mercury anymore due to muscle testing but God knows we don't know how that works. If it works! I'm not a big fan of muscle testing and Kinesiology.

I've had chelation, IV's of minerals, with glutathione etc. lots of glutathione IV's-I'm done trying to get rid of mercury and honestly I don't think that's my issue anymore. I had this done back in 2001, it's now 2015.

When my amalgams were in my mouth, I felt much better actually! I was working at 2 different places and enjoying my life.

For me, Mercury is not the issue.

You may be right that mercury is not an issue, however it is strange that you started to get sick after amalgam removal which would result in an increase in mercury levels. Alpha lipoic acid and cilantro ( I do not recommend cilantro) and the only chelators that I know of that can cross the blood brain barrier. Unless you chelated with alpha lipoic acid you could still have high levels of mercury in the brain, particularly in the hypothalamus and pituitary glands. This would affect the HPA axis and cause fatigue and other symptoms.

As I said a trial of alpha lipoic acid every 3 hours for 3 days would confirm whether mercury is or is not a problem.

The problem with testing a single food sensitivity is twofold. First, in lots of people a tiny amount triggers the same reaction as a regular portion. Second, if you're sensitive to a few common foods and you pull one out of your diet, you might not notice any difference at all.

this! exactly this. @Snowdrop I did the same as you 2yrs ago and was cutting out a single food group at a time, I expected some great result from a single change and when I did not recieve it I added the food back in. If you want to see any change as diet is concerned you have to make big changes to see any benefit. I agree with what @madietodd said completely. It doesn't have to be long term, do it as a experiment. (Like I did, which turned out to work well)

I don't think gluten is evil, i just don't think it is a optimal food when your body is hindered with a illness.

@liverock I had not actually cut out gluten when I first had a b12 test which was at 997( I ate gluten daily)

Last edited:

xrunner

Sometimes those poisoned by mercury have very low levels in the hair and urine as they are unable to excrete mercury.
Hi @David Hammond
Thanks very much for your posts which have prompted me to reflect on my own story.
About three years ago I removed my amalgams and felt slightly better immediately afterwards, i.e. my nervous system kind of calmed down.
I followed the Cutler's protocol and got some improvement but not very much. I stopped after about six seven months because a) chelation did not seem to produce much improvement whilst waking up at night to take my supplements was a nuisance and b) I got more improvement from treating chronic infections (Lyme, CPn).

However, since I'm stuck at a recovery level of about 50% I was wondering whether mercury could still be there and might be the real issue.
So far I have always considered mercury not really the main problem for me.
Whenever I tested, mercury was always rather low in urine, hair and feces however lead was relatively high.
As I was reflecting on past treatments, I thought there may be some clues that mercury could be an underestimated health issue for me.

1. After my initial viral infection which caused the onset of my illness, I very gradually got worse during a time when I was using chlorella and zeolite, although they never caused me any immediate adverse reactions.
2. I did a lot of iv glutathione and although I never had bad reactions, after about a year I felt something had changed for the worse as I became oversensitised to a few supplements and later developed MCS but from which I have now recovered.

My questions:
- Could someone at the same time be able to excrete lead but not much mercury?
- Does calcium increase excretion of lead ?
- For people who might not be able to excrete mercury, shouldn't mercury in any case show up in urine or perhaps feces after chelating with DMSA and ALA every three hours over a few days by comparing samples before and after chelation?
- In that case how much increase in mercury (e.g. 50% more, double etc), compared to pre-chelation samples, would indicate mercury as a problem? I assume that in this modern day and age we all are going to show some.

ps: apologies for posting out of topic, perhaps this post could be moved to a more relevant thread.

Last edited:

taniaaust1

My husbands pretty good, does nearly all the housework and works and runs kids around and takes them out, attends school events without me if needs be etc.

The issue is if you have family and kids, you cant keep nice and calm all the time - daily life is too full to allow that. My kids have homework to help with, exam pressure, their own illnesses to take care of, Drs appts, haircutting appts, friendship problems, school issues, bickering among themselves, disagreeing with me about things I think they should do. I have a dog that runs off regularly and comes back always covered in mud - then have to argue with the kids about who's going to wash him! They have friends come over - 4 tonight for a dance rehearsal! I also have two grown up children who are always ringing me up with things they need support with - they cant pay there rent, their girlfriend left them, they didn't get the job, my daughter is also sick and recently had a serious lung infection - she was ringing me up in the middle of the night crying and needing her mum. Then my husband drove a 10 hour round trip to go and get her and bring her here to be looked after - by me. I had to take her to the Dr's (I cant usually take myself, but you push yourself for your kids)then I had to make sure she took her medication 4 times a day, made her food (she couldn't get out of bed) kept her company even though talking was exhausting me, this went on for three weeks recently.

I challenge anyone to stay calm and not tax their adrenals when they have 4 children to think about and a mother showing signs of dementia and all the other things that normal life entails for middle aged people.

And yet despite all this I am one of the calmest and happiest people I know.

I did it and got a full remission from doing this (2-3 year remission) even though I had no other help at all (single parent) and had two very young children, my oldest child was 9-10 years and my other child was 7 years old. (the only help I had was one friend who did the shopping (I was too noise intollerent to have him in the house speaking to me). He'd leave the shopping left it at the front door for my daughter to put away..

Nearly every one can come up with a reason for not wanting to give up oo very much in order to try to improve be it .. "I need to work" or "I have children" or "I have a husband I have to look after".

I can say it is very very very hand to dramatically change ones life but I truly had no choice but to give up my mothering role and my 9-10 year old had to became my carer, the house keeper and also the carer of her younger sister (who is severely disabled physically and also had bad aspergers on top).

I had before this pushed myself so hard that I'd left myself unable to walk for 9 mths (couldn't even walk to the toilet most of time, I couldn't get myself drinks etc etc).

So when I started to pick up slightly, I knew at that point that I HAD TO CHANGE or I'd be that again very quickly and maybe for years next time not for just 9mths bedridden, so I had to change my whole life no matter how much I hated what had to happen to make sure I didn't get worst again and to give me a chance of recovering.

I realised what I had to do when I was still in the bedridden stage and getting to point in which I could start to sit again more etc. I made a deal with myself that I would do everything possible to get my health headed in the right direction and keep bit going that way. I told myself no excuses.

This situation was very damaging on the relationship between my youngest who I couldn't allow myself to interact with as it would make me sicker (she wasn't allowed to come into my room or make noise, both kids had to be very quiet or I'd go into like seizures) and this relationship never recovered (it was damaged though probably before I even got to the point of being able to do aggressive rest therapy simply due to me just being far too sick for any interactions with a child, she ended up thinking she was unloved).

I couldn't allow the children to have friends over and my eldest at only 9-10 years old had to come straight home and take care of me as by the time she'd get out of school I'd be out of water and laying there very thirsty in bed. (I almost died the first time I crashed severe and just couldn't allow this to happen again as it put my very life at risk and then my children may of lost me forever..

I HAD TO GET BETTER FOR MY CHILDREN no matter what I had to do to achieve this, so I used my motivation as a mother to give me the inner strength to do what was needed.. Needing to get better for my children was my motivation for doing the aggressive rest therapy (in which my child continued to care for me even after I first started being able to do things again). Aggressive rest therapy ended up leading me to getting better and getting into a full remission, so then I had 2-3 well years (unfortunately by then my youngest child had gone to live with her father).

I'm not saying this is right for you but I'm just wanting to point out that some of us do even in family situations cut back to the point that we stop doing things which are being damaging on our healths. Some of us even though its very hard to do as a mother, get the children to take on a caregiving role to find out if we have a chance of getting better with resting more.

It's just a matter of what works for the person health wise and what choices or hard decision a person is prepared to take. For some it will be decisions around family while others it may be giving up a dream job and going on a disability pension so to be able to look after oneself better.

To me it had became a life and death thing so it wasn't hard to make the choice which needed to be done to keep me from crashing like that again and giving myself a chance to improve even if my young child was put in a terrible situation of having to take care of me a year longer then the near year I was completely unable to do a thing and almost dying.. (choice for me wasn,t hard after what I'd already been throu, doing or rather not doing still was hard)

I had to make a choice between "do I want to probably be bedbound forever, never being able to do anything with my children outside the bedroom if at all? or do I want to give myself a chance to improve? (there was no other choices) when I was well aware that the less I do, the better I go and that continuing to do just made me far sicker (I was ending up in comatose states days at a time).

Any a bedbound person can make choices when they have kids eg the children cant have friends over as I need peace and quite..or sorry children, I cant help your homework if you need help you will have to ask your teacher (my childrens teacher was informed I couldn't help). I gave up EVERYTHING I possibly could which was harmful to my health and tried to do everything possible which helped it. I would of never had the remission without such a mammoth effort.

Last edited:

taniaaust1

I'm sorry Brenda if I gave a false impression of my family situation. My children are all lovely human beings and great kids doing the best they can in a difficult world. They understand my situation perfectly well - my eldest daughter has been very ill herself, at one point being bedbound and missing the last year if school.

I think I got some wrong impression from your post, of cause if a person has children who can not possibly look after themselves or each other or sick children and if there is no one else to do it, of cause you have no choice but to look after them. (the muddy dog bringing dirt in, I'd get rid of it as that would be damaging for my health but maybe that isn't an issue for you but you spoke as it was).

Sorry if I've mistook your post. It gave me the impression you had a houseful of children not pulling their weight while you are very sick..

I hope your daughter recovers, do you mind me asking if she has ME too?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I hope your daughter recovers, do you mind me asking if she has ME too?

Looks like she does, although now she tends to recover in between 'bouts'. She presents somewhat differently to me and has regular tonsillitis as well. Everytime she comes down with a virus or infection she becomes bedbound for a few weeks and then gradually improves again. She is still able to work most of the time, but has a lot of sick time off.

I have just been diagnosed with EDS III and am not very hypermobile, she is much more hypermobile than me so I guess she could have this instead/also. I may also have had Lyme disease since before she was born so there could be that too. We are taking her to see KDM in two weeks time when I go back.

taniaaust1

James that situation you had with m (I'll say just m in case you remove your post like you said you may so wont quote), I had exactly the same with my dad to even having the same fear of the same group. At one point I was sleeping with an axe under my bed as he'd got scary and to the point I was very scared of what he could do and I had children to protect. Anyway sorry to hear you've been through that too.

MTHFR mutations are more common with that and sometimes that issue apparently if one does have that double copy mutation can be helped with active folate forms. I found out I carry a double mutation of that but as my dad wont get it tested, I still don't know if he has a double mutation of it possibly involved.

taniaaust1

Looks like she does, although now she tends to recover in between 'bouts'. She presents somewhat differently to me and has regular tonsillitis as well. Everytime she comes down with a virus or infection she becomes bedbound for a few weeks and then gradually improves again. She is still able to work most of the time, but has a lot of sick time off.

I have just been diagnosed with EDS III and am not very hypermobile, she is much more hypermobile than me so I guess she could have this instead/also. I may also have had Lyme disease since before she was born so there could be that too. We are taking her to see KDM in two weeks time when I go back.
:( sorry to hear that, that's one of my biggest fears for my children. Im glad to hear she's going to see KDM before it becomes full time. I hope there is a way to boost her immune system. (I recovered between "bouts" for the first year of this).

melamine

Chiropractors are quacks just like homoeopaths.

@PhoenixDown - this is not the thread for generalizations about types of practitioners you don't approve of. This one is about a recovery, in case you hadn't noticed. People reading it are smart enough to decide for themselves whether they think chiropractic contributed to James' recovery.

justy

:( sorry to hear that, that's one of my biggest fears for my children. Im glad to hear she's going to see KDM before it becomes full time. I hope there is a way to boost her immune system. (I recovered between "bouts" for the first year of this).
Shes been sick for seven years so far... bedbound for the first 6 months or so.

justy

@PhoenixDown - this is not the thread for generalizations about types of practitioners you don't approve of. This one is about a recovery, in case you hadn't noticed. People reading it are smart enough to decide for themselves whether they think chiropractic contributed to James' recovery.
Perhaps Phoenix Down is just questioning James's use of chiropractors to get better from M.E - perhaps Phoenix Down is just addressing this particular issue.

Personally I have tried most if not all of James's techniques over the past 20 years of my illness, including chiros and I have merely got worse. But then I have M.E and not 'chronic fatigue' as James says in this video.

melamine

@justy - My limited experience with chiropractic would lead me to not recommend either for or against it. It was the generalization made about it by PhoenixDown and the addition of something James' actually spoke against that I was responding to.

Perhaps Phoenix Down is just questioning James's use of chiropractors to get better from M.E - perhaps Phoenix Down is just addressing this particular issue.