• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Methylation Pathways Panel results

Symptomatic

That seems low compared this one, that's about $500 now . . . http://www.holisticheal.com/dna-methylation-pathway-test-kit.html

I didn't see a methylation panel on the Eurpoean Laboratory site.

Does anyone know the cheapest methylation panel?

Keep in mind you are comparing apples to oranges here.

The Yasko panel (and 23andMe) test DNA SNPs - which tell you your genetic tendencies. 23andMe is down to $99, and although it tests more than a million SNP, misses a few of the 30 or so that Yasko tests. However, 23andMe does not come with an evaluation, where Yasko does.

The HDRI/European Lab test is a test of actual biochemicals in the body - which tells you exactly what's going on in your body at that moment in time. The US link to that test is here: http://www.hdri-usa.com/tests/methylation/

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
We are nearly twins...my data is posted over in this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/hdri-methylation-testing-23andme-now-what.22132/

I've also done 23andMe, have you? If so, how have your results affected your choices of supplements for the methylation protocol?

I also noticed that your Folic Acid value/range is different than what was reported to me: mine had a range of 0.6 - 6.80 (not 8.9 - 24.6 like yours)....weird.

My twin!

I just did 23andME recently and finished reading Amy Yakso's book last week. I'll be starting a full methylation protocol soon because I didn't have much (any?) success with a simplified version (Freddd's) after almost a full year. The methylation panel results weren't much help in determining how to tailor my protocol, but the genetic results were. But I'm still glad I got the methylation panel because it's proof that my methylation cycle is defective and needs work, so it gives me the motivation to carry on with these elaborate and expensive protocols. It also gives a baseline by which to measure progress.

Here's a summary of the Yakso plan I put together based on my genetic results. http://quixoticmeblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/my-nutragenomics-plan.html

That's very strange about the Folic acid discrepancy in range. Maybe they changed to a different assay or are using different units?

Have you modified your choices of supplements for the methylation protocol?

Symptomatic

Thanks for posting the link to your blog...heading over to read it now.

I haven't started the methylation protocol yet, literally just got my results late last week and have been trying to digest it and make sense of it, taken together with my 23andMe results. Have posted in various threads here, but except for some guidance from Caledonia, didn't get much in the way of feedback. So ordered some supplements yesterday, waiting for them to show. Am interested to read your blog to see what you're doing. I'll PM you and we can compare notes.

dannybex

DB,
Some PWC seem to prefer one or the other forms of B6, I've tried them both and just feel better on the pyrodoxine.

I just take one or two Alta brand mag chloride tablets daily, that is 520mg mag per tablet. They are wonderful, I discovered that form when I was trying to find ways to help my digestion, and discovered that it works almost as well as HCl, as it also supplies a chloride ion for making HCl naturally. The chloride form of mag seems to absorb very well and it's affordable. I usually take it with a meal (breakfast). And of course magnesium chloride will support methylation as well.

Hi @kurt ,

I've been taking the Alta brand as well, and while it says it has 520mgs of magnesium chloride, only 62mgs of that is 'elemental magnesium'. Are you taking additional magnesium in another form?d.

p.s. I STILL can't seem to handle b6 or p5p…2-3 years later. My Spectracell test showed it was 'borderline', but still can't handle it. (But it also said my vitamin C levels were well within the normal range, yet I hadn't taken any "C" for years.)