New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

My manganese experiment

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Mary, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I wanted to relate my experience with manganese. On hair analysis it is generally quite low (not even in the normal range). I had tried taking it maybe 6 months ago, had a bad reaction but couldn't quite remember what it was, so I restarted it maybe 2 weeks ago. I have trouble with one of my knees and it's supposed to help with ligaments etc. A couple of days ago, I had unexplained rather severe fatigue - it was not due to crashing or PEM or detoxing, the usual things. I could not figure it out, and finally went through all my supplements to see what I was doing different, and the only thing I came up with was the manganese (I was taking 20 mg.)

I did a little research and found that if one is low in iron, manganese will actually get absorbed at a higher rate, preventing iron absorption. And I had a faint recollection of possible low iron. I found a hair analysis from last year, and sure enough my iron was at the bottom of the normal range, although manganese didn't even make it into the normal range.

Anyways I had had 2 bad days of extra fatigue so stopped the manganese and sure enough, today my energy has started coming back! I think I have been so focused on folate and B12 and magnesium and potassium, that plain old iron got overlooked and my doctor never pointed it out to me. I do try to look at all my tests results now because doctors overlook a lot, but this one got past me. So am probably going to start an iron supplement too.

I still think I need the manganese, but should get my iron levels up before adding it in. In any event, I now know why I stopped the manganese before, but I didn't discover at that time why it made me feel so bad.

Also I have just learned that iron is necessary for thyroid functioning! and my doctor never said a word about this either. I take Naturethroid (Armour equivalent) The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know ---

Mary

Abha, ukxmrv and JPV like this.
  2. vortex

vortex Senior Member

any updates? I am trying 8mg manganese

3. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I'd forgotten all about this thread and the link between iron and manganese. I try so many things ... Anyways, about 6 weeks ago I restarted manganese at 10 mg. and am doing fine that. I've been taking more minerals so perhaps my iron levels are better, it's been awhile since they've been tested.

Someone had posted that manganese was necessary for the production of GABA and I've had a lot of sleep difficulties for quite awhile, so re-started manganese. It's not hurting me, and may be helping a little, I'm going to stick with it.

See more popular forum discussions.