• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My life got taken away from me - what it's really like to suffer from CFS - Telegraph, Sept 2016

On hearing the news that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is finally being recognised by doctors as a 'real' illness, my first desire was to run around shouting 'I told you so!' at the top of my voice. Having suffered with CFS (also known as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (or ME)) for four years, I was obviously too sick to do that, but I did allow myself a tiny, non-tiring fist pump at the fact there is now some acknowledgement that this sickness is more than just 'yuppie flu.' Researchers found that those with the syndrome, which causes extreme tiredness that isn't allayed by rest, had a specific chemical signature in their blood - similar to that of hibernating animals.

More at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/he...way-from-me---what-its-really-like-to-suffer/

I was going to post this in the Naviaux study media stories thread but it's more an article that was printed because of it, rather than being about it. Although the article is good, and the pictures are of the PwME herself, bizarrely the Telegraph thought that a motivational video of a performance coach talking about, I guess, normal fatigue, would make a good insert into the article, no explanation to it, just crowbarred into the text. :bang-head:

ETA: Following Dr Shepherds request, detailed a number of posts below, the Telegraph subsequently removed the video :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sidereal

Note the fact that the caption states that the individual was "working 75 hours a week when she developed CFS."

Uh, is it POSSIBLE to work 75 hours a week? ....wellll, yes, it's between 10 and 11 hours a day. But it's a very interesting fact to throw out there, especially below her image.

-J

Kinda reinforces the stereotype of type A overachieving yuppies with insatiable appetites for success working themselves into exhaustion.

charles shepherd

Exchange of correspondence with Daily Telegraph - video now removed

Attention: DT online health features
Dear Daily Telegraph online features
Re: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/he...way-from-me---what-its-really-like-to-suffer/

Firstly, can I thank the Daily Telegraph for publishing this very helpful coverage on the subject of ME/CFS - which the MEA helped with last week in relation to finding someone who was willing to provide a personal account of her illness

The article by Hannah is receiving very positive feedback on the ME Association Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/ME-Association-171411469583186/

As well as on other social media discussion forums

There is, however, a frequent complaint being made by our members, which I agree with
This involves the insertion of a video about fatigue that is not relevant to the sort of activity and exercise induced muscle and brain dysfunction experienced by people with ME/CFS

Could I therefore suggest that you either insert a general video about ME/CFS - such as the one I did for NHS choices:
http://www.nhs.uk/Video/Pages/CFSexpert.aspx

Or a specific one on treatment:

Regards
Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

Our Ref: 1041252

5 September 2016

Dear Dr Shepherd,
Thank you for your recent communication to The Telegraph.

Further to your enquiry, thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention and we are pleased to hear that our article is well received. I can confirm that the video has now been removed from the article in question.

Yours sincerely,
Katie Archer
Editorial Compliance Executive
Telegraph Media Group

Dear Katie

Thank you for dealing with our concerns so swiftly

Regards
Charles Shepherd

JohnCB

Immoderate
Note the fact that the caption states that the individual was "working 75 hours a week when she developed CFS."

Uh, is it POSSIBLE to work 75 hours a week? ....wellll, yes, it's between 10 and 11 hours a day. But it's a very interesting fact to throw out there, especially below her image.

-J

Sure. On North Sea oil platforms the standard week was 7 x 12 hour shifts. Normally worked as a fortnight on and a fortnight off. The fortnight off was mine, holidays, except that travel days cut into that. This was the 1980s. As I was working for an outside contractor, I was nominally working days and did not have anyone working the night shift. OK, the 12 hours includes a lunch break.

There were times when I was called out in the evening or even dragged out of my bed. As there was nothing else to do, I often worked overtime voluntarily. In those days, the oil company was happy to pay whatever I worked. For my fortnight rotas I was regularly booking in excess of 100 hours a week. Might as well get paid for the time you are there. I did 5 or 6 full fortnights. This was several years before I had symptoms of ME, in retrospect, and it was another 5 years before I had to give up work and realised that I had actually been ill those 5 years. I returned to more normal hours once that contract was over.

ETA: That's how I know that ME "fatigue" is entirely different to normal fatigue. After coming home I would crash out for a while, then perhaps go down the pub. After a good night's sleep I would have a quiet day. After that I would be raring to go again. One time when I got home to snow everywhere, I found a last minute booking and went to Malta for a week.

Last edited:

JaimeS

Nursing schedules are similar; some folk choose to work 10 or 12 hour shifts, but only a few days a week, and crash out again on the weekends.

But the point is that they chose that caption for her to further link the idea of general over-exertion or 'stress' to developing ME.

I think a lot of people would report experiencing a more stressful time of life around when they first noted symptoms.

I'm willing to bet the same is true of every major illness ever. When did you get your first attack of MS? "Graduation". When did you first notice cancer? "That month I lost my job and was getting a divorce, and I passed out during an argument." Yet no news article seems to mention infection, childbirth, or injury as a major stressor alongside emotional challenges in ME.

And of course no one says "divorce causes cancer". We, however, appear to be special. ;)

-J

*GG*

Sure. On North Sea oil platforms the standard week was 7 x 12 hour shifts. Normally worked as a fortnight on and a fortnight off. The fortnight off was mine, holidays, except that travel days cut into that. This was the 1980s. As I was working for an outside contractor, I was nominally working days and did not have anyone working the night shift. OK, the 12 hours includes a lunch break.

There were times when I was called out in the evening or even dragged out of my bed. As there was nothing else to do, I often worked overtime voluntarily. In those days, the oil company was happy to pay whatever I worked. For my fortnight rotas I was regularly booking in excess of 100 hours a week. Might as well get paid for the time you are there. I did 5 or 6 full fortnights. This was several years before I had symptoms of ME, in retrospect, and it was another 5 years before I had to give up work and realised that I had actually been ill those 5 years. I returned to more normal hours once that contract was over.

ETA: That's how I know that ME "fatigue" is entirely different to normal fatigue. After coming home I would crash out for a while, then perhaps go down the pub. After a good night's sleep I would have a quiet day. After that I would be raring to go again. One time when I got home to snow everywhere, I found a last minute booking and went to Malta for a week.

Interesting story, thanks for sharing! I am sure you miss the money you had then :(

GG