• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Job-Going Out Of Business.

Misfit Toy

I think I am going to go out of business.

Since 2014 since I have had my wrist operated on and then my thyroid removed, I have hardly been able to keep up with work.

Last year, I made $14,000. That's gross. What I actually put into my pocket was $7,000. In the process, I became sicker and sicker trying to do and keep up with something that honestly, I can't do truly anymore. Is $7,000 worth it?

It used to be about creating. I could create pieces and it was fun. I have not made but one necklace this year and to be honest, I don't even like that necklace. I have not even displayed it.

In 2010, I made $24,000. That means, I made $1,000 per month. I do not make that anymore.

I have become sicker since 2010. Been diagnosed with CVID, Sjogrens, thyroid removed, Celiac, lymphopenia, etc. My life has changed. I am not the same anymore. Things are different.

This year, I have been told that my website needs to be updated. That will cost $400. I literally have $1,000 in my business account. That is it. I also need to find another means to link the shopping cart from my website to my bank account. I am too sick, I am too tired.

I have had clients who want something fixed. I am so sick, they send me what they want fix and it takes me three months to fix it. Not to mention, I can't find the boxes with the jewelry that they sent me. I am so depressed that I can't keep up with it, that it's causing me even more stress.

I am not able to do it anymore and it doesn't truly bring me joy anymore. It's too stressful and I am too sick.

I would like to put up on my facebook page (business page) that I am going out of business. Does anyone have any advice?

I have been holding onto this job for dear life and for that very reason, I fucking hate it. I do not enjoy creating jewelry anymore as I am bitter about it. I can't do it. It's no longer fun, my clients want everything for nothing and I do not get paid enough to keep going.

The stress of having a condition that is up and down and swinging me from pillar to post is too much.

purrsian

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Health problems plus working for yourself sucks. I worked for my mum's shop and I know first hand the joy of customers that want everything for nothing. Especially when it comes to handmade or local stuff. Everyone wanted Australian ornaments (we were in a Christmas shop in Australia) made in Australia for the price of the made in China Aussie ornaments. We tried carrying a more expensive Australian-made line...no point.

The sorts of conditions you listed having - stress makes them a lot worse. Managing stress is so important in making life easier when we having these kinds of conditions. Making a life that is good yet still manageable is important. It was hard for me to reassess my abilities and limits, but SO helpful. You are not failing by going out of business - you are reassessing your life and your needs. If it is no longer enjoyable and is stressing you out so much, is it worth it?

It's hard to reassess everything and potentially commit to changing a bit part of your life. I hope it all goes well for you.

Misfit Toy

I decided to not put up anything saying I am going out of business yet. I am very sick right now, so if I felt better tomorrow, I may regret it. But, I am coming up with a plan...that hopefully I won't have some sort of mood swing about.

I have a TON of jewelry. I am doing a show (supposedly) in May. I do not plan on making a lot of jewelry for this show. I am going to try and sell what I already have. This is very different than how I usually am. I try to come up with new pieces all of the time...or I used to be like that. I am too damn tired.

I want to get rid of this jewelry or some of it and do what I am trying to do when I am feeling better...by a duplex and rent out the other apartment in it and live with hopefully the other tenant paying off my mortgage. Investing in real estate which HOPEFULLY will be a little less work than this.

The problem with this job is that it is seasonal. I make most of my money at Christmas @purrsian you must get this. The amount of work at Christmas is too much. I try to bust my ass at xmas to make ends meat and then I crash in January. Plus, my mom died and there has been too much stress. Christmas kills me. The events. The artisans events are 12 hour days. Who with this disease can do that? I am wasted. I have no life from it at the holiday season which lasts from August onwards. It's bullshit and then I am sick for months after I wear myself out.

Stores take 50% so that won't work. I make no money from that.

I don't know. I just don't like doing it anymore. I am not well enough. A series of events happened to really turn me off to it. People think I am well who work with me. They never see me sick, everyone thinks I am well. They have NO idea how sick I am and do not take me seriously when I say I am sick. I can barely make the jewelry anymore, it's crazy.

If half of me was on fire, they would look at the other half of me that was well and say, "Well, she looks good."

JFC. WTF.

I am burned out. The good thing is I don't have to truly say going out of business. My business only moves as much as I want it to. I have no store. It's all web based. So, if I am not selling it, making new pieces....people forget about you. Or, you are not a topic at the moment. So, technically I can take a break. But...I may want to take a permanent one.

My therapist said to me the other day, "When you feel better, make something that you want to wear." I was telling her I am sick of the pieces I have been making trying to appease the masses. I am edgy and I like cool edgy jewelry. Things that are truly truly unique. She told me...."Make pieces for you. You have the material and it's paid for." That could be something good for me because the creativity has taken a nose dive due to being sick, but slowly getting away from what I truly like and why I started this business in the first place. If it doesn't sell, that will be even more of a sign....I will put up a sign that says, "FUCK IT AND ADIOS. TIME TO MOVE ON." The train left the station.

I just want to sleep, watch tv, eat donut holes and do what I need for me right now. I keep saying I want to do that, but the problem is...I have a problem, it's called TYPE A personality DISORDER. It truly is a disorder. Type B...it's much better. Type B's are happier.

Thanks, @purrsian .

andyguitar

From reading your recent posts it is apparent that at the moment you are in the sort of trough that sufferers get into from time to time. It's not such a great time to make big decisions that you cant change when you start to feel better. Enjoy the olympics and look forward to the results of the upcoming elections in your country. Change is on the way.

purrsian

I decided to not put up anything saying I am going out of business yet. I am very sick right now, so if I felt better tomorrow, I may regret it. But, I am coming up with a plan...that hopefully I won't have some sort of mood swing about.
Always best to wait even a few days or a week, to sit with the decision and ensure you are happy with it. Good thinking.
The problem with this job is that it is seasonal. I make most of my money at Christmas @purrsian you must get this. The amount of work at Christmas is too much. I try to bust my ass at xmas to make ends meat and then I crash in January. Plus, my mom died and there has been too much stress. Christmas kills me. The events. The artisans events are 12 hour days. Who with this disease can do that? I am wasted. I have no life from it at the holiday season which lasts from August onwards. It's bullshit and then I am sick for months after I wear myself out.
I'm really sorry to hear about your mum. Grief is hard enough to cope with for healthy people, it's extra draining for us. And yup, I totally understand the stress of the xmas period. And that extreme push then crash is not great for your health. I keep January as my recovery month, where I plan basically nothing on the assumption that that's all I'll be able to do.

I don't know. I just don't like doing it anymore. I am not well enough. A series of events happened to really turn me off to it. People think I am well who work with me. They never see me sick, everyone thinks I am well. They have NO idea how sick I am and do not take me seriously when I say I am sick. I can barely make the jewelry anymore, it's crazy.
I've always felt that the only people who every have an inkling bout what goes on are the people you live with. You can tell someone all about what goes on, but no one realises the gravity of your symptoms till they see you constantly crash. Even when there are signs, people will look past them unless they know what to look for. My mum and partner can read the subtle signs that indicate how I'm going, often before I even realise I'm starting to crash, so there are signs. Most people are just too caught up in their own lives to notice and assume you're exaggerating. So frustrating.

My therapist said to me the other day, "When you feel better, make something that you want to wear." I was telling her I am sick of the pieces I have been making trying to appease the masses. I am edgy and I like cool edgy jewelry. Things that are truly truly unique. She told me...."Make pieces for you. You have the material and it's paid for."
I think this is a great idea to figure out if you still enjoy it at all. Maybe you will struggle to find the creativity to come up with something special for yourself, maybe you will find a new inspiration that brings enjoyment that you haven't felt while making the stuff for the masses. Perhaps you could make yourself something that symbolised your strength, to remind you of it when you crash. Or perhaps you could make something in memory of your mum. Or something that will make you feel positive and happy when you put it on.

boombachi

There might be something in what your therapist said. Make only what you really like and put your prices up. That will put off the masses but might draw in a niche clientele. You do less work but get more money for it - maybe.

I should mention I have absolutely no business skills. It just sounds like you want to stop being so busy but not yet ready to let go, so my strategy is self sabotage but get some creative satisfaction from it. I have a cello that's been gathering dust in my hallway for 12 years for the same reason. I think I might go back to it.

You don't mention if finances are an issue. Do you have another income source?

Gingergrrl

@Misfit Toy I apologize I did not get to read all of the replies but I was wondering, do you have to make a final decision re: stopping your business completely right now? Or can you wait and just sort of put it "on hold" to see how you feel later and then re-evaluate things? Since you already have the website and brochures (and I am sure tons of other stuff) can you just keep what you have but not get rid of anything while you are so sick and decide later? I wasn't sure if there was an urgency factor to decide now (unless the decision affects your disability payments)?

ebethc

@Misfit Toy I apologize I did not get to read all of the replies but I was wondering, do you have to make a final decision re: stopping your business completely right now? Or can you wait and just sort of put it "on hold" to see how you feel later and then re-evaluate things? Since you already have the website and brochures (and I am sure tons of other stuff) can you just keep what you have but not get rid of anything while you are so sick and decide later? I wasn't sure if there was an urgency factor to decide now (unless the decision affects your disability payments)?

that's good advice... I try not to make big decisions when I'm at my worst physically, and it's been a good policy so far... When I get pushed into a decision (by others or my own frustration, or just wanting to be decisive when so much is unknown w this f'ing illness...) it usually doesn't work..

How's the airbnb going? is that as exhausting?

Misfit Toy

I apologize I did not get to read all of the replies but I was wondering, do you have to make a final decision re: stopping your business completely right now? Or can you wait and just sort of put it "on hold" to see how you feel later and then re-evaluate things? Since you already have the website and brochures (and I am sure tons of other stuff) can you just keep what you have but not get rid of anything while you are so sick and decide later? I wasn't sure if there was an urgency factor to decide now (unless the decision affects your disability payments)?

There is zero need to make a decision now. None. I have so much stuff. No urgency. Maybe it's just that I am so frustrated by being so sick and feeling so utterly sad and angry that I can't do this like I used to. I can hold off. People only buy when I come forth.

For example, I did a sale this past weekend. I was so sick but I had no idea I was so sick until Saturday night when that awful cold hit and then I got my period for a second time in one month. I could not function. It suddenly felt like impending doom. People were buying and I only interested it on social media. No newsletter sent out to my 300 clients. But..it killed me to get everything to the post office. But...that was just this weekend.

It's so up and down that I am having a hard time with the uncertainty. Yet, in September of last year I did a show and it was so smooth. October, too. And...November. Christmas or December killed me.

I can put it on hold and it some ways, I feel like that is best. I had a client email me and say, "I love my new necklace, you are a true talent." It made me feel guilt and it's the only skill that I can actually make money from when I am feeling better, even if I am not at it full force. One event can generate between 1,000 on up. In December, I made $2,000 during both events...2,000 each. Again, only $1,000 went into my pocket from each show.

The price is steep at Christmas and I have no idea how to conquer this.

XO

Misfit Toy

Have you onsidered taking on a partner? It might be more maneagable that way.

YES, but I don't make enough money to have a partner. I do not make a lot of money. I don't make enough and when I do events, the artisans (me) are absolutely expected to be there to talk to the clients. They only buy from the artisan who can explain the process.

IT SUCKS.

Misfit Toy

How's the airbnb going? is that as exhausting?

Beth, it can be if you get the wrong clients. "The man fiasco." Having men here=bad idea. Women is better but its hard only because it's a small space. My last woman who stayed here will be back in 2 weeks. She was great, but man she could talk. I am too tired to engage, but she is a talker. Having said that...she came here at 9 pm, was in bed by 10 pm and then left 8 am sharp. I made $41.00 for that brief stay where there was an hour of convo.

I would like to say, airbnb has been a great thing in a way. It allows me to make small money, but money for a phone bill, an electric bill, dinner and whatever. It's passive income especially if the person is not really around.

She will be here again soon and will pay cash.
that's good advice... I try not to make big decisions when I'm at my worst physically, and it's been a good policy so far... When I get pushed into a decision (by others or my own frustration, or just wanting to be decisive when so much is unknown w this f'ing illness...) it usually doesn't work..

Yes..yes, and more yes. Agreed. I am in that boat.

Misfit Toy

You don't mention if finances are an issue. Do you have another income source?

Finances are not an issue right now, but they will be. I am going to hopefully buy a duplex and that way I can rent out the other part of the duplex and help to pay off my mortgage instead of paying the high rent I am paying now.

That is my goal. I think this is a good idea and it can allow me to "possibly" make the jewelry business more of a hobby which I will get more satisfaction from.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
@Misfit Toy

Here are a few thoughts. They might be a bit jumbled as I am sick with a virus at the moment.

It sounds like you have enough stock right now to keep things going if you are up to selling. You've already made this stuff so there's money sitting there for you if you want to sell and are up to it. No rush. Just promote a few things on FB from time to time.

Longer term if you need a break then take a sabbatical. Have a rest and have a play with making wild stuff for yourself that makes you smile.

Review things in say August. See how you feel about selling for Xmas and start making stuff ahead at your own pace. If the shows are too much just promote on FB and give the shows a miss.

If it's ultimately all too hard then sell it all and shift your focus to the airbnb and the future rental plan.

Thinking of you my friend.

Misfit Toy

Here are a few thoughts. They might be a bit jumbled as I am sick with a virus at the moment.

Feel better, Andy. I think many have this same virus. I know I have something.
Longer term if you need a break then take a sabbatical. Have a rest and have a play with making wild stuff for yourself that makes you smile.

Yes...!!!!

XO :heart: