• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My interesting experience treating gut fungi with nasal washing

cigana

I just want to mention very briefly my experience which may highlight something we have never considered before.
For a long time I've had issues with mild fungal overgrowth in my gut (as many of us have). This has never resolved despite very low carbohydrates for 2 years and anti-fungals etc. My symptoms are only mild - lots of gas issues after ingesting sugar. Very repeatable experience. I've been positive for fungal overgrowth in previous tests (and negative for SIBO).

Recently I washed my sinuses daily with the anti-fungal amphotericin-b (follwing the "Brewer" protocol loosely).

The only change I noticed after 3 weeks of this was that I no longer have that gut issue, which raises the interesting possibility that the fungal overgrowth is caused my a connection between the nasal passages/sinuses and the gut. This would explain why people very often find almost no solution when treating the gut.

sarah darwins

Hi cigana. Amphotericin-b was recently suggested to me for chronic sinus problems but I can't find anywhere that supplies it. Did you source it yourself?

ukxmrv

Thanks for the great hint Cigana.

I noticed that when I had a sinus infection it tends to drip down and upset my throat and then my stomach. I used Amphotercin-B in the 80's when there were fads on Candida control. This was before the sinus infections set in for me though (I think).

I use Tea tree and Sea Salt in my Grossan Irrigator usually.

Over the past year I have also I've tried Baby Shampoo and Dandruff shampoo with Ketaconazole but neither of these made any difference to my sinus infections.

I'll have a look at that other thread as well.

Thanks again!

Bansaw

I wonder if a steam diffuser and essential oil treatment might be effective too.
The Four Thieves essential oil blend (or similar potent oil, - I know Tea Tree is too) is supposed to be a great anti-fungal/bacterial.
I'm getting a steam sauna and some essential oils on Tuesday so I'll be able to try that out.

cigana

Thanks for the great hint Cigana.

I noticed that when I had a sinus infection it tends to drip down and upset my throat and then my stomach. I used Amphotercin-B in the 80's when there were fads on Candida control. This was before the sinus infections set in for me though (I think).

I use Tea tree and Sea Salt in my Grossan Irrigator usually.

Over the past year I have also I've tried Baby Shampoo and Dandruff shampoo with Ketaconazole but neither of these made any difference to my sinus infections.

I'll have a look at that other thread as well.

Thanks again!
Yeah I tried various essential oils and baby shampoo....None of those worked, but ampho did...

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
The only change I noticed after 3 weeks of this was that I no longer have that gut issue, which raises the interesting possibility that the fungal overgrowth is caused my a connection between the nasal passages/sinuses and the gut. This would explain why people very often find almost no solution when treating the gut.

I think you may be right about this. I believe others on the forum have made similar observations before. Sinus infections seem very common among many of us with ME/CFS.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I think the baby shampoo is just supposed to break up biofilms. You still need something to kill the fungus once they are exposed.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I had a general slight upswing in health after nasal irrigation with amphoceterin B earlier this year - my sinuses also felt great, but that has now gone...

I used a bag of Ab, and just used syringes....can you not have it prescribed like that @sarah darwins - it was easy to do.

sarah darwins

I had a general slight upswing in health after nasal irrigation with amphoceterin B earlier this year - my sinuses also felt great, but that has now gone...

I used a bag of Ab, and just used syringes....can you not have it prescribed like that @sarah darwins - it was easy to do.
Did you get a GP's prescription, justy? I wasn't sure if it was used in the UK. If so, I'll try that route.