• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Gut is.... Poll

My Gut is

• FINE

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Questionable

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Definitely Not Healthy

Votes: 37 64.9%

• Total voters

knackers323

Hi yes I'm in oz. we can get heavy metal tests done here but I was thinking of things maybe not usually thought of as my heavy metal tests were ok

peggy-sue

I voted for "fine".
Which it really mostly is.
I have had a couple of bouts of IBS-like symptoms, lasting no more than a couple of days each.

I always put that down to it being just "that bit of me" that was having a bad-ME time.

Other bits of me also have their own "bad-ME" times independently of "the rest of me" too.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
My gut issues started when I developed CFS. They are pretty much constant and debilitating with alternating diahorrea and constipation, pain, bloating, nausea, gastric reflux etc. I have had some improvement with diahorrea after starting probiotics and I'm now on an elimination diet for grains, fructose, numerous identified food allergies and natural and artificial food chemicals. When my gut is bad my CFS symptoms are worse.

hmnr asg

My gut issues started when I developed CFS. They are pretty much constant and debilitating with alternating diahorrea and constipation, pain, bloating, nausea, gastric reflux etc. I have had some improvement with diahorrea after starting probiotics and I'm now on an elimination diet for grains, fructose, numerous identified food allergies and natural and artificial food chemicals. When my gut is bad my CFS symptoms are worse.

Same boat here. IBS symptoms are 100% correlated with CFS symptoms.

H

snowathlete

I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) around the time I got ME/CFS about 4 years ago, but recently was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. My GP told me this week that she suspects my original IBS diagnosis was really early UC. Don't know whether my gastroenterologist will agree with that assesment or not.
But I saw a paper today about UC and other inflamatory bowel diseases (IBD), which talked about an internal layer of the gut mucosa which is supposed to protect against bacteria but is faulty in IBD leading to bacteria getting into the intestinal lining and causing inflammation. Just thought it might be relevant for ME/CFS too.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24246979