Home care is the theme for Severe ME Day on August 8th
Why should home care be the theme on Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME on August 8? Helen Brownlie of the 25% ME Group has written an explanation for Phoenix Rising ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

My experiences with Alpha Lipoic Acid: benefits and side effects

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by RustyJ, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Beyond

Beyond Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!

Murcia, Spain
    Old thread but good info. I will be coming back in the future to add my input, when I decide is time to try ALA cutler-style (to make sure about mercury). ALA is in the Leaky Gut protocol of Maes that I am doing (which makes sense looking at studies of ALA effects on intestinal inflammation), but if you are metal toxic as I suspect I am, taking it while curing the gut could be counterproductive.

helen1 likes this.
  2. Calathea

Calathea Darkness therapy

Scotland
    Old thread but it seems to be the right place to ask this. I have just started carnitine fumarate and am looking into ALA. I have no metal fillings and have not eaten fish or seafood since the age of three, nor have I ever lived anywhere with coal as an energy source. Is there any reason to suspect that I would have mercury toxicity?

(By the way, if you reply to this, I'd appreciate it if you could quote this post. I'm not on the forum much these days, and I think it's the only way I'll get notified.)

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  3. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Charlotte, North Carolina
    I doubt mercury would be an issue unless you have ingested it through some sort of unknown chemical. I would start at small dosage and see if anything changes.

4. mikac61

mikac61

Hi ,

When you say you used it 3 days a week ,does that mean like ,monday,wednesday,friday ?
    and what do you mean by "after finishing 3-day course, feel like a truck has run over me" what simptoms did you have ?
    And did you take 50 mg every 3 hours for 24 h ?
    Did you notice any improvement in anxiety and how was your mood and motivation ?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  5. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Cutlers protocol involves using ALA two -four days "on" then taking an equal time off to let the body recharge.

6. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

And yes, ideally, you want to go 24 hours, so you wake up to dose. It keeps blood levels steady.

See more popular forum discussions.