• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My detox and methylation snps

maddietod

I don't know how to post the tables from genetic genie, but my results are:

Methylation:

COMT V158Mrs4680AG+/-
COMT H62Hrs4633CT+/-

VDR Bsmrs1544410CT+/-
VDR Taqrs731236AG+/-
MAO A R297Rrs6323TT+/+

MTHFR A1298Crs1801131GT+/-

BHMT-02rs567754CT+/-
BHMT-04rs617219AC+/-
BHMT-08rs651852CT+/-
AHCY-01rs819147CT+/-
AHCY-02rs819134AG+/-
AHCY-19rs819171CT+/-

SHMT1 C1420Trs1979277AG+/-

Detox Profile:

CYP1A2 164A>Crs762551AC+/-
CYP1B1 L432Vrs1056836CG+/-
R48Grs10012CG+/-
CYP2C19*17rs12248560CT+/-
SOD2 A16Vrs4880AG+/-
NAT2 I114Trs1801280CT+/-
NAT2 K268Rrs1208AG+/-

I can't wrap my head around this many bits of information. Can anybody help with some analysis, and/or ideas about where to find information at a novice level about what this means? And, more useful, how to use it in my life?

caledonia

Methylation:
COMT V158Mrs4680AG+/-
COMT H62Hrs4633CT+/-
VDR Bsmrs1544410CT+/-
VDR Taqrs731236AG+/-
MAO A R297Rrs6323TT+/+
MTHFR A1298Crs1801131GT+/-
BHMT-02rs567754CT+/-
BHMT-04rs617219AC+/-
BHMT-08rs651852CT+/-
AHCY-01rs819147CT+/-
AHCY-02rs819134AG+/-
AHCY-19rs819171CT+/-
SHMT1 C1420Trs1979277AG+/-

You have one First Priority mutation, which is SHMT. For that take folinic acid. This is one of the "leaky gut genes". People with this mutation are more prone to having gut problems. If this is you, then treat SHMT at the same time as the gut for best results. Do a 4R Gut Program for the gut. (see the link in my signature below)

You have MTHFR A2198C, so some methylfolate for that.

Interestingly, you don't have any B12 mutations (MTR or MTRR). Probably 99% of the people on here do. So I'm not sure if you should take B12 or not. It may depend on what shape your gut is in, if you're a vegetarian or other risk factors. You may need some to balance the methylfolate, not sure.

Here's a good article on B12 deficiency: http://chriskresser.com/b12-deficiency-a-silent-epidemic-with-serious-consequences

If you were going to take some B12, then according to your COMT/VDR combo, Yasko suggests hydroxycobalamin and adenosylcobalamin. If you took methylcobalamin you could be prone to mood swings.

VDR Bsm is the vitamin D receptor and that's running a little slow, so get tested and if you're low supplement for that.

The AHCYs should balance themselves if the rest of the cycle is balance, so you don't need to do anything for those.

BHMT is the secondary methylation pathway. You would take some lecithin for that to produce TMG.

For MAO A Yasko suggests taking a sprinkle of 5htp after the rest of the pathway is balanced and only if you're still having serotonin type issues.

In general, these SNPs look better than most of the ones I see on here and it makes me wonder if there is some other reason that you're sick, such as heavy metals (lead, mercury) or other toxins or stressors.

caledonia

Detox Profile:
CYP1A2 164A>Crs762551AC+/-
CYP1B1 L432Vrs1056836CG+/-
R48Grs10012CG+/-
CYP2C19*17rs12248560CT+/-
SOD2 A16Vrs4880AG+/-
NAT2 I114Trs1801280CT+/-
NAT2 K268Rrs1208AG+/-

CYP1A2 - slow caffeine metabolizer (and other toxins that run through this pathway)
CYP1B1 - estrogen dominance, can cause breast or other related cancers. Eat cruciferous veggies or take IC3, DIM or calcium deglucarate to lower estrogen.
CYP2C19 - problems metabolizing certain drugs
SOD2 - causes oxidative stress and can affect the mitochondria. You can do general mito support, or try supps with GliSODin or Biotec Extra Energy Enzymes.
The NATs detoxify smoke which could cause cancer, so don't smoke and stay away from second hand smoke.

In general, the advice for detox SNPs is to stay away from toxins and eat your fruits and veggies. More info (like lists of drugs detoxed by the CYPs are in the detox links in my signature).

Again, there is nothing too horrible here, except maybe SOD, which could impact energy.

maddietod

I tried to delete this duplicate post, but I can only edit it.

Last edited:

maddietod

Thanks so much, @caledonia. You've nailed it. My vitamin d has always been low at 33/34; I just got that up this year. I don't like mb12, and I've never known why. I liked hb12 but it didn't get my levels up to normal; adb12 might help. I will add folinic acid, methylfolate and lecithin.

Yasko also tested VDR FOK, which is +/+

I did the Genova leaky gut test, and came out normal.

A doctor put me on estrogen to help with sleep, and it made me crazy. I'm wondering if it's worth trying a small dose of natural progesterone cream? A sister had a breast cancer operation last fall. I eat cruciferous vegetables daily.

Do you have a link for general mitochondrial support? I was doing Wahls diet, but it's too inflammatory so I've shifted away from some of her foods and into a highly anti-inflammatory diet.

Thanks for all this information. It gives me a lot to work with.

caledonia

@madietodd VDR Fok impacts blood sugar regulation. Here is Heartfixer's summary:

The VDR (Vitamin D Receptor) Fok defect affects blood sugar control and pancreatic function. It does not affect dopamine metabolism. Dr. Yasko recommends Vitamin K and generalized support of pancreatic function and sugar regulation (low carbohydrate diet, supplementation with chromium, etc.) when the VDR Fok abnormality is an issue.

For the mitos, I did the Nutreval test. There is this really cool diagram of your Kreb's cycle and which parts of it are running slow. Then I've supplemented for those parts.

Sarah Myhill says: D-ribose, CoQ10, acetyl-l-carnitine, NAD, magnesium and B12 injections. I think that's a pretty good list. I found a few other things to add.

I'm doing D-ribose which is complexed in with vitamin C (BioEnergyC). That gives me a bit of energy. I used to take CoQ10, but now it muscle tests bad (don't need it) - it helped me with brain fog, not energy. I believe I am now making enough SAMe and that's why I don't need it. SAMe makes CoQ10.

I'm taking l-carnitine fumarate instead of acetyl L carnitine, at the suggestion of the Heartfixer. That one also gives some nice energy. Freddd says some people do better with the one form, while others do better with the other. I must have hit on the right one straight off.

I tried Enada NADH, but don't tolerate it. I'm getting a bit of niacin (B3) in my Yasko multi for now. There's probably more that I can do with that later when I'm able to raise doses of B vitamins.

I'm now doing a combined magnesium/potassium supp, as there will be an increase in the need for potass when you start methylation. You need mag to make SAMe and a bunch of other things.

For B12, I'm doing sublingual liquid methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin.

One other one not mentioned, which Heartfixer suggested, which shows low on my Krebs diagram is succinic acid. I am supplementing vitamin E succinate (Dry E) for that. I can't tell any difference, but it muscle tests good.

I tried Life Extension SODzyme for SOD2; I'm +/+ for that. It mostly just made me sleepy. Then after a couple of weeks it doesn't muscle test good any more (don't need it). So I'm hoping that pathway is balanced with my other efforts.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
A doctor put me on estrogen to help with sleep, and it made me crazy. I'm wondering if it's worth trying a small dose of natural progesterone cream? A sister had a breast cancer operation last fall. I eat cruciferous vegetables daily.

You might want to get a hormone profile. I did mine through ZRT labs. I thought I was estrogen dominant. I have the SNPs for that. But it turned out I needed BOTH estrogen and progesterone. I get them through an ND, who prescribes me the bio-identical kind. The progesterone initially helped me with sleep, but at this point it's not that helpful.

I was doing Wahls diet, but it's too inflammatory so I've shifted away from some of her foods and into a highly anti-inflammatory diet.

Really...? Which foods on the Wahls diet are inflammatory, besides the organ meats?

maddietod

@caledonia: I got colonoscopy sedation yesterday at 11, and I'm still feeling it 15 hours later. I didn't find anesthetic drugs specifically on any of the CYP lists, but your posting here alerted me to be careful. Thanks!