• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MY BAD REACTION to KEFIR WATER--anyone else?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I bought and drank a bottle of pomegranate Kevita (kefir water) a couple days ago and had a *very bad* reaction to it. It was as bad as reactions I have to strong chemicals. It made my heart race and my mind spin out of control, making me feel so wired that I couldn't sleep at all on Monday night. I needed two acupuncture treatments to bring my body down from the speedy agitation. I am feeling better today, but am still processing the residual wiredness out of my system.

It's strange because I have previously drunk the plain coconut Kevita and didn't have a problem with it. SO I'm wondering now if there was something funky in that pomegranate batch... OR it is that my body just did not like to have more than a small amount of the kefir water in one's week time, and I just got too much. ??? For now, I am not willing to experiment with it, but I am perplexed by my bad reaction.

Has anyone else had problems drinking kefir water? Please let me know how it worked for you. Thanks.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
my coconut water kefir experiments so far

I noticed. I would suggest you try a different water kefir before giving up.

My experiments from just this last week.

I tried Kevita coconut flavor. I did not have a negative reaction to it, but I didn't really like it.

I also tried two other coconut water kefirs Tonix and Inner-Eco. I liked both of them. Both need to be started slowly.

I also took half of the Tonix and added a bit of fresh, squished pomegranate seeds with juice, left it out overnight, and then added a few drops of stevia. It was excellent.

Here are the links to the various water kefirs. As you can see Kevita uses their own proprietary blend of probiotics and adds a lot of other stuff.

Kevita pomegranate: (if you click on the bottle, you can see the list of ingredients)

http://kevita.com/pomegranate-coconut-kevita

Tonix ingredients: young green coconut water, kefir cultures

http://mytonix.com/Coconut_Water_Kefir.html

Inner-Eco ingredients (berry flavor): fresh young coconut water, dairy-free cultures, natural fruit flavors, SweeLeaf Stevia, citric acid

http://www.inner-eco.com/

Jenny

Hi Dreambirdie

This probably won't help you much, but the only time I've had a bad reaction to anything cultured is when I was in the US earlier this year and I bought something called So Delicious - cultured coconut milk with pre and pro biotics. It has about 9 different probiotics, all of which I had taken before, and chicory root extract, lactic acid and carob bean gum. I felt terrible - nausea, anxiety etc.

Could have been just a coincidence though as I wasn't feeling good before I took it.

Jenny

jenbooks

Why not make your own?

Any store bought product is questionable. Commerce rules over quality. And the containers I've seen kefir water in are probably leaching endocrine disrupters. Glass is the only safe container for liquids.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Thanks everybody for your input on this. I appreciate it.

Gracenote: I was aware of the ingredients, and most did not present a problem. However, I don't see the word "organic" preceding the words "coconut water." Could that be why I had such an extreme toxic reaction? Was there some not so organic chemical (fertilizer, pesticide, fungicide) in this batch of coconut water that made me feel so ill? That's what it felt like to me. For now I am going to avoid this product. I'm not willing to go through that again.

Jenny: I have tried the SO Delicious, and it gave me a stomach ache. It's not kefir water though, but rather coconut kefir drink.

Jenbooks: The Kevita is in glass containers, not plastic, so that wasn't the problem. And yes, I do plan on making some of my own kefir water in the near future. Wayne is going to send me some of his kefir grains. I hope to get some further input on how to make a good batch.

Valentijn: Sorry about your bad response to probiotics. I don't generally have a problem with them, but I'm finding that I need to be selective about which ones I ingest.

jenbooks

DeeBee, Wayne's grew well in goat milk--he uses raw goat milk. I got packets of Meyer's powdered goat milk and the grains loved it. They multiplied.

It was extremely delicious. However, I could not tolerate it. It gave me awful colon cramps, to the point I was bending over in pain. It was not detox, I don't think. There are yeasts in kefir, and even if beneficial, I am so reactive to yeasts and molds, I think it may have just irritated my colon lining. Otherwise, I have no idea what it could have been but I stopped drinking kefir.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
JB--Thanks for the heads up on that. I see now that I am going to have to be VERY careful if I ever try the kefir water again.

It might just be a bad idea.

brenda

Perhaps it was the pomegrante? It boosts the immune system. I love pomegranites but if I eat them for more than 2 days on the trot, I get a bad reaction.

Kathi

I puchased some store bought Lifeway Kefir last week. I think I drank way too much.... at one time. I started getting fluish symptoms...sore throat...
I know I overdid it... Now it is a milk kefir and not a water kefir... BUT I have made my own kefir before and only did a little each day. This time I drank so much because it was so good... I know that was it for me...

Kathi