• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My appointment with the hepatologist

andre79

Well, i finally went to see the hepatologist and it didn't go well, unfortunately.

First of all, he said i had to do a liver biopsia, which i already knew, but by laparoscopy so i must get general anesthesia. I have never in my life had general anesthesia, but it concerns me a little bit. A few weeks ago a had an abcess in my finger, to drain it the doctor inyected anesthesia in my hand and i was closed to throw up and pass out. I didn't but it was not a good experience.

Any advice about the general anesthesia of something i should tell the doctor?

Then i told him about my symptoms and he told me that they had nothing to do with the PBC, but instead depression and anxiety. So, the best hepatologist here doesn't know anything about fatigue and PBC. Sigh.

I had with me an study that links autonomic dysfunction with PBC but i didn't dare to give it to him because he was a little arrogant.

And finally i mention the possibility of taking LDN and he said NO! But then he added something interesting: "we only use naltrexone in patients with late stage PBC to control the itchiness" really? So, they do use naltrexone in PBC.

Now i don't know if i should do my LDN experiment. If they use naltrexone 50 mg in people with severe damage in the liver, i think that low dose should not be a problem for me, since i am in an early stage apparently. I would appreciate your opinion and Dr Edwards. Thank you.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I wouldn't want to advise on taking a drug in the context of possible liver problems. I think you nee to follow your physician's advise as best you can.

drob31

You mentioned that was the best hepatologist in your country? Have you thought about coming to the US or going somewhere else for another opinion?

andre79

You mentioned that was the best hepatologist in your country? Have you thought about coming to the US or going somewhere else for another opinion?

Yes, i am going to get the biopsia and then i will think seriously about going abroad to get another opinion. Resignation is not an option for me. This doctor told me that the treatment was urso acid, and that's it. Nothing to offer to treat other symptoms, which he didn't even acknowledge. A big dissapointment, i am sorry to say, but it's true.

Also, we need to have a trusting relationship with our doctors, don't we? The fact that i didn't even dare to show him an study out of fear is a good indication that this is not the doctor for me.

Jammy88

Very demotivating. I hope you find a better hepatologist somewhere else. Keep us posted, best wishes.