• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Antiretroviral Trial

Hey everyone,

Just want to announce the medication for my antiretroviral regimen has now arrived. I have just started taking the following:

- Retrovir (AZT) 300mg Twice Daily
- Indinavir 800mg every 8 hours (on relatively empty stomach)

I will keep you all posted!

Jake

floydguy

Hey everyone,

Just want to announce the medication for my antiretroviral regimen has now arrived. I have just started taking the following:

- Retrovir (AZT) 300mg Twice Daily
- Indinavir 800mg every 8 hours (on relatively empty stomach)

I will keep you all posted!

Jake

Thanks for keeping us updated!

omerbasket

Thanks for sharing, and good luck!
Please keep us posted (although I guess it would take sometime until any effect, if there will be an effect, will be seen).
And I would also like to know - are you XMRV positive?

Thanks for the best wishes guys. To answer your question, No I am not XMRV positive (yet)....when tested by culture. Still awaiting the antibody retest.

Rrrr

tell us any developments at all, good or bad, of course! we are here to support you and to learn from yet another one of us being a human test subject!!! wheee! i think a number of us will be doing this soon.

Hey everyone,

I would like to report back on my experience thus far. It has now been nine days since I commenced antiretroviral treatment. I have experienced a small yet highly notable improvement in symptoms of sensory overload. I was able to go out today with our neighbours for just over one and a half hours to my old school's open day. I was a passenger in their car. When we arrived there were hundreds of people walking around. Incredibly I did not experience as much anxiety and visual disturbance as is normal for me. I was able to see more clearly with very minimal visual distortion and symptoms of irritability/agitation were markedly improved for such a situation.

I also want to say that I have not had my afternoon nap, as is usual for me. Normally I would be forced to out of sheer discomfort. I simply haven't felt quite so pushed towards collapse. However nothing's concerete at this stage - I'm sure I'll feel trashed in the coming days :S. Only time will tell.

Anyway I think there might be a scientific rationale as to why protease inhibitors may actually be more effective (this is just my working hypothesis) than nnrti's, nrti's and integrase inhibitors. I will reveal more shortly. I am currently still figuring out the full ins and outs of the hypothesis.

Jake :D

mojoey

Hey Jake,

I think you are ahead of the game for taking protease inhibitors. Taking only NNTI's, NRTI',s and integrase inhibitors does nothing to prevent the already-integrated viral DNA from being transcribed and assembled into new virions and being released from the cell, free to enter other cells. It only prevents further integration into the host genome.

I am particularly excited to see how you do.

leaves

Sorry if this was explained; but didnt singh find indinavir ineffective for XMRV ? why take it then?

mojoey

Leaves,

My mistake. It may very well be the case the HIV-1 protease inhibitors have no action on XMRV: "Our data confirm that XMRV is highly resistant to the non-nucleoside RT inhibitors nevirapine and efavirenz and to inhibitors of HIV-1 protease." http://www.retrovirology.com/content/7/1/70

But I still think protease inhibitors for XMRV/MLV will be necessary

ukxmrv

Jakes, that great news. Please keep us posted on how you get on.

Generally for you - are you stable most of the time or do you have ups and downs, good/bad times of the year? Have you responded well to things before and crashed?

I've not had a remisison at all in 25+ years and apart from small changes good and bad due to the seasons at a low level of functioning.

XMRV+