1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

My anemia problem again shocking results

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Lisa6235, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Hi all

I know it's hard to solve the resolution until I get my 23.me results back (got the test today) but I have had my iron panel done again and the results are shocking

Ferritin 2
    Iron 1

My doctor does not seem concerned as they have said its low and that's and told me to iron supplement and bot willing to listen to me that I can't take iron. I get heart palps hot sweats, anxiety my eyes feel a burning sensasation and I feel like my body is being poisoned even of 5mcg. I have tried to increased iron Rich foods daily but obviously this is not helping. I feel very worn out and tired along with headaches forgetfulness and just basically feeling terrible. I believe the iron is interactive with my thyroid in some way as I am hypothyrpid but can't figure the exact issue out.

I know it's hard to give me any advice but if anyone has had the same side effects of iron I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
    Lisa x

2. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Lisa, So sorry to hear of your problems. I had a Ferritin of 2.5 a couple years ago. I don't see any other iron test at that time though in my records. I also was low in several categories of the CBC (complete blood count). My doctor sent me to hospital within a couple days to receive a blood transfusion. They gave me 2 units. I didn't feel any better after but my tests results are better.

I can tolerate iron supplements for a short period of time before I start reacting to them. But even though my doctor told me to take the iron supplements again, she still sent me for blood. Wish I could help with the iron supplements. Do you react badly to other things too?

3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Wow I cant believe your doctor isnt all that concerned about that (well yes I can, Ive had some rather shocking doctors in my time too).

4. Hi all

Many thanks for your replies everyone always takes time to answer my posts, so a big thanks. another doctor did mention a blood transfusion but my usual doctor has refused me this as I have a reaction to many supplements therefore worried what the side effect of having too much iron on my body will do. I have severe reactions with
    Iron
    Folate
    Vit b
    Vit d
    B12
    Detoxing supplement
    I start having major anxiety and depression along with hallucinations when taking these supplements. I'm hoping the 23.me test will help in finding the root of my problems.

Thanks Lisa x

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    Maybe lactoferrin could help. Some people do better on it than plain Iron.

6. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    My iron was low due to perimenopause a few years
    ago. My gynocologist oredered iron iv. Maybe yours
    would do that for you since this is something they
    deal with regularly.

Buffalo meat, rare, is high in iron. A cast iron pan
    is supposed to help too. fwiw, I heard that the older cast iron
    pans are supposed to be better than the new ones.

There's an iron supplement, slow fe, i think, that's
    supposed to be easy to digest. I found infants iron
    ok.

hope you feel better soon. It took me several weeks
    to recover. x

7. gddsssuze

gddsssuze

Is your hair falling out? If not, I'm surprised. When my iron/Ferritin gets really low my hair falls out! You might try dessicated liver and/or Brewers Yeast Flakes (or pills). I've had really good luck with both products in raising my iron level. Warning the dessicated liver powder tastes terrible so you might try the pills.

http://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Desiccated-Liver-250-tablets/dp/B0002I25LC/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2

http://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Desiccated-Liver-250-tablets/dp/B0002I25LC/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2

See more popular forum discussions.