• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My ADMIT protocol- please suggest tips or items

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!
I came up with a checklist for why we still experience symptoms, flares, relapses, etc. Please suggest examples of each category so we can make a comprehensive "treatment" protocol. Of course, there will be individual variations in each of these, but some things may be common to all. Thanks in advance!

A- activity- physical and mental- am I pacing enough? Mental activity like stress, sleep etc.
D- diet- any delicacies (high fat), adequate salt?
M- medications - don't forget B12 for people on a vegetarian diet, antivirals,
I - infection prevention - wearing an N95 mask in the winter, getting flu shots, eating only cooked food (gi viruses)
T - time - wait for it to run it's course...

Everyday, actually seems like every minute of the day, I run this list and see what things I'm doing wrong, what more needs to be done, etc...

One can also call it the DAMIT protocol, :)

Last edited:

*GG*

@Dr.Patient

Ah, did you mean delicacies under diet?

And I think a lot would have issue with a flu shot as a wise choice, with or without this damn illness!

GG

Dr.Patient

@Dr.Patient

Ah, did you mean delicacies under diet?

And I think a lot would have issue with a flu shot as a wise choice, with or without this damn illness!

GG
Yes, delicacies high fat ones are hard to digest for me.

For some people, it may be avoid flu shots. I'm just trying to bring up all the points, and people can choose for themselves if something is right for them.

I have realized there are very specific things under each category, some are "do's" for some people and some are "dont's" for some. Thanks!

Dr.Patient

I'm going to make sleep, stress separate categories. That would make it ADMITSS. This would be for why do I still have symptoms, or what caused my recent flare, or relapse.

To complete "treatment" protocol, I'm going to add Crash management, and Also, want to add Thoughts for e.g. changing from "I'm lying in couch all day doing nothing" to " I'm doing rest therapy right now".

Please suggest more tips, thanks.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
My own mental checklist goes like this: manage sleep, manage pain, manage energy.

Managing sleep means having a goal of getting at least 8 hours of quality sleep and using a CPAP device to treat sleep apnea. I would use whatever medications and/or supplements seemed justified and safe.

Managing pain means having it under control enough so that it doesn't interfere with sleep, and so that I'm at least able to enjoy some passive activities during the daytime, if not some more active ones when I'm feeling up to it. A lot of my pain issues come from being stiff due to lack of activity and lack of energy. This is a bad cycle to get into.

Managing energy means taking rest breaks between activities, so that I don't try to do a lot of things at once. It could mean just two or three outings per week max, and any other pacing techniques that seem to work, such as lying down on my bed for short times during the day to take a mental and physical break, but not to sleep.

In the first years that I had this disease I was constantly fighting infections (viruses and chronic sinusitis) but I haven't had a cold or any other problems like that in about seven years. I don't get flu shots, but I'm isolated a good deal of the time. So fighting infections, the "I" part of your regimen, wouldn't be a big priority for me, however, I think it should be #1 priority for someone who is prone to colds, flu, sore throats, ear infections, sinus infections, etc. I've been there and as long as your body is fighting something like that, that's where all your body's energy is going.

I agree diet, the "D" part, is also important. For me personally, I'm relying on Meals on Wheels and Amazon.com to feed me, so I don't have a lot of choices there.

I hadn't thought of Crash Management before, but when I crash I end up doing what's necessary - rest, rest, rest, and more rest. If it's daytime I rest wherever I feel most comfortable and that could be in or on my bed or couch. I might pay more attention to hydrating and staying away from junk food. I limit mental stimulation including interactions with others, TV, reading, etc. unless it's a very light crash.

I agree that reframing, i.e., Thought Management, is good. Resting on the couch becomes "recharging your batteries" or "recuperating from a crash" or "pacing" or "energy management," all of which are necessary "activities."

I hope that gives you some new ideas to think about.

Last edited: