• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My 23andme results

Hello all,

I've recently recieved my 23andMe results which is attached below. However, I'm fairly confused about my combinations and the current consensus (if there is any?) Really hope someone could shed some light on what approach I may take to this. Been reading up a lot and it seems I need to supplement B12 as I have mutations that affects both recycling (MTRR A66G, MTRR A664A) and up-regulation of enzyme (MTR A2756G). The MTHFR A1298C also results in implications for B12, but mainly for folate which I've begun supplementing too. Also have BHMT-08 mutation but guess this is of less concern.

Now, I also have a combination of heterozygous (+/-) genes for both COMT V158M and COMT H62H AND homozygous VDR Taq (+/+). My general understanding for heterozygous COMTs is that you would not tolerate methyl groups very well, however, I've also read that my combination with VDR Taq ++ behaves like COMT -/- resulting in a need for methylgroups (?).

I might be very wrong in my analysis of my gene combinations, I would really appreciate if anyone could point me in right direction. For instance, should I stick with my methyl-B12 or should I go with hydroxyl-B12 given my COMT and VDR combination?

My current daily regime (been taking for 3 days) follow as this:

Methyl B12 - 2-3 mg
L-methylfolate - 1,6 mg
TMG - 500-1000 mg
Quercetin 500 mg with vit C
PediActive 2xtablets (DMAE and phosphatidylserine)

Felt pretty low today and experienced some increased anxiety. First two days went great though. Some speculation could be that I overload on methylgroups.

Help is MUCH appreciated!

Attachments

• methylation.jpg
    methylation.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 19

Critterina

@kraken ,
Congrats - you look like you did a pretty good job figuring this out!!! :thumbsup:
Look at how close our SNPs are! I tolerate methylgroups just fine. To begin with, I needed a little more methylfolate, but I've settled on 1.4 mg. I would give it a week with what you're doing. Increase methylfolate or decrease the methylB12 if you're feeling consistently low. Everyone has low days now and then.
Phosphatidylserine kills me, but I have almost no cortisol. Do you have high nighttime cortisol? If not, why the PediActive? Actually, I would quit that before I altered the methylfolate or methylB12.

Now, you hear me talking like I know what I'm talking about...I don't, really. I just notice how we are similar and maybe we'll have the same reactions. I'm saying what I'd do. I know it's hard when you have the whole thing to figure out, but you have to make your own decisions. Just take your time and try changing one thing at a time, giving it some time to see what happens.

Best of luck to you!!!

Thanks @Critterina. Yes we have pretty similiar SNPs in terms of MTHFR MTR and MTRR :) I have no idea if my nighttime cortisol is high. Bought the PediActive to stimulate BHMT but maybe I'm overdoing it and maybe it's not that bad. I'll stop that for now and work my way up with the other supplements to ensure whats working and whats not.

However - I'm very unsure about my COMT V158M (+/-), COMT H62H (+/-) and VDR TAQ (+/+) combination. Guess I'll have to try methyl B12 for a while and see how it works. If somebody got some input regarding this combination and which form of B12 to use, that is very welcome.

Btw, anyone got a clue of what might happen if I overload by body with methylgroups/methyl B12 given I dont really tolerate them? Symptoms to look out for?

Critterina

@kraken ,

If you do decide to try methylB12, you might "start low and go slow" as we say. Crush a tablet and just put a little powder under your tongue. If you don't react, put a little more, etc. That way, if you do have a negative reaction, it might not be as bad.

I had to go back and look at my results because I didn't remember, but I only have a couple of more rare/less specific COMT mutations - so we might be different there.

I'm not familiar with PediActive to stimulate BHMT. I use TMG (trimethyl glycine) for that.

Best of luck!