1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Patient Experience: "What Bronllys taught me about pacing."
In 2012, Maya, who had tried to cope with ME/CFS on her own for many years, attended a pain management centre in Wales, U.K., and is now able to achieve more through pacing and acceptance, than she had been able to before the course...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

My 23andme Results, What To Make Out of Them?

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by David4750, Jun 21, 2013.

1. David4750

David4750

I am new to the DNA testing and genealogy stuff so can someone help me understand my overall results better? i have absolutely no idea about my ancestry other then my dad being half Irish, and my moms fathers side of the family is mostly dark complected (not to dark) and my mom has some polish. here are my results:

MtDNA:

[​IMG]

Paternal DNA:

[​IMG]

Map View(Standard):

[​IMG]

Map View(Speculative)

[​IMG]

Global Similarity:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I Click On Myself

[​IMG]

McDonald Results:

[​IMG]
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    David4750
    This is a forum for ME/CFS patients - the results discussed here are in relation to medical problems, not the genealogical aspects :ill:

So it's unlikely anyone here knows about that stuff.
  3. Bluebell

Bluebell More % Neanderthal than Adreno but less hairy :-D

David,

The 23andme website has a discussion forum there, and I expect there is a lot of discussion about the ancestry side of people's results.

While the Phoenix Rising forum isn't the place for that kind of discussion, you will find the information that you are looking for on 23andme, I'm pretty sure.

By the way, I finally just got part of my ancestry results - they still aren't done calculating the whole ancestry part for me (I wonder if everyone has to wait longer for their ancestry results than for their health results, or is that unusual!)

It's quite remarkable - magical really, to peer into the past like that and think about all those unknown souls/bodies, enduring heaven knows what sorts of privations and pains (as well as wonder and joy at times, of course).
  4. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Me too ... turns out I'm 3.3% Neanderthal :sluggish:
    Jarod likes this.
  5. Bluebell

No WAY!

I'm 3.1%! And that is the 98th percentile --

What percentile are you - the 99th?

They say the range in humans is from 1 to 4%.

Obviously, those Neanderthals had some excellent DNA. :hug:

====
    Despite their
    • Heavy eyebrow ridge
    • Long, low, bigger skull
    • Prominent nose with developed nasal chambers for cold-air protection
    ====

Are you in the K haplogroup?
  6. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Yup, 99th :cool: I think I get it from my dad's side.
    I'm H1b from my mother's side. No data from my dad's, due to my lack of a Y chromosome :p
  7. Bluebell

I'm in K. Obviously more evolved than H, seeing as how it's farther in the alphabet. :nerd:

It says that Meryl Streep, Katie Couric, and Stephen Colbert are distant relatives of mine who are also in the K group.

Does everyone get a little list of celebrities who are in their group? Does that mean that Stephen Colbert has done 23andme and has allowed them to use his name? (These are rhetorical questions; not seeking any answers.)

They finally finished my ancestry calculations today.
    Valentijn likes this.
  8. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    There's no famous people listed in my group :( I guess I'll have to figure out a way to become the first :cool:
    ukxmrv likes this.
  9. Bluebell

I'll make sure you get a footnote in the Craigbell Wikipedia entry, for having named the mutation. :balloons:
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.