• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My 23andme results - any thoughts?

I've had back my 23andme report and here's my results:

+/+
MAO-A R297R +/+
MTRR A66G +/+
BHMT-08 +/+
CBS C699T +/+

+/-
COMT V158M +/-
COMT H62H +/-
VDR Bsm +/-
VDR Taq +/-
MTHFR C677T +/-
MTHFR A1298C +/-
BHMT-02 +/-

I think I need to start by looking at CBS C699T ?

I'm doing lots of reading about these and would appreciate hearing your thoughts and ideas of how to best approach this.

Thanks

Wendy

@wendyh - I wouldn't worry about CBS SNPs. The one listed only has a small and beneficial impact.

MTRR A66G +/+ means that methylB12 is recycled at about 30% of the normal rate. Hence B12 supplementation might help, especially if you aren't eating much meat. Some people have trouble with methylB12 supplementation, and do better with hydroxoB12.

MTHFR C677T +/- reduces folate production to 65% of normal. And the A1298C +/- has a 50% chance of reducing folate production even further, down to 30%. So you're either at 30% or 65% of normal - flip a coin. But it can't be determined from the data available, especially if you don't have 23andMe results from your parents. Supplementing folate (not folic acid) can help with that, or eating a diet high in veggies.

The rest of the listed SNPs are primarily included by Yasko (and reported by Genetic Genie) to determine how well people handle methyl groups, but doesn't seem particularly accurate for that.

Thank you @Valentijn !

I've been supplementing with B12 for a short while and it definitely seems to be helping. From this, would you have an idea of the ratio of B12 to Folate that might work best for me?

Wendy

I've been supplementing with B12 for a short while and it definitely seems to be helping. From this, would you have an idea of the ratio of B12 to Folate that might work best for me?
I don't think that I've heard of anyone needing more than a normal dose (400-800mcg) of folate, and some people react very badly to high doses of it. Whereas people often do fine with higher doses of B12 - basically if raising anything, take it slowly and back off if it's making you feel bad.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi WendyH,

Your results look pretty similar to mine and I think you've had very good advice from Valentijn.
I take 800mcg of metafolin to hop over the MTHFR polys and 5,000mcg sublingual methyl B12 a day for the MTRR one, and that seems to be working great for me.

People with the VDR polys usually have low levels of vitamin D and benefit from taking high dose supplements. I am on 2000 IU daily but I know several people with the same polys who take 5,000 IU a day. It would be good if you could get your actual Vit D levels tested before taking a v high dose as D isn't something you want to go over the top with.