• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My 23andme Results...Any Help Is Appreciated

Hello friends. I have been waiting for these results to return and, though Genetic-Genie comes with some interpretation, I'm eager to receive input from the knowledgeable forum members on these issues. Is there anything of particular importance that I should know or do based on these results? Thank you so very very much for your time and help. BTW- I have been using methyl-folate, and meythl-cobalamin for a few weeks with increasingly promising results; though I have struggled mightily with trying to stay ahead of the low potassium 8-ball.

Methylation Analysis

Homozygous (+/+)

MAO A R297R

MTRR A66G

BHMT-02

BHMT-04

BHMT-08

CBS C699T

Heterozygous (+/-)

COMT V158M

COMT H62H

VDR Bsm

VDR Taq

MTHFR C677T

MTR A2756G

CBS A360A

Detox Profile

Homozygous (+/+)

CYP1B1 L432V

CYP2C19*17

CYP2D6 S486T

Heterozygous (+/-)

CYP1A2 164A>C

CYP2D6 100C>T

CYP2D6 2850C>T

NAT2 I114T

NAT2 K268R
---------------------------------
GSTT1
Present
GSTM1
Present
G

caledonia

Start with seeing if CBS is expressed. If so, treat for that first. If you're tolerating the methyl supps (sounds like it?) then you're probably ok. Although Yasko says something about CBS issues possibly showing up later in treatment, if they don't show up right away.

With a COMT +/- and VDR Taq +/- Yasko is suggesting hydroxycobalamin and adenosylcobalamin, with no methylcobalamin. http://www.scribd.com/doc/132017201/Dr-Amy-s-Simplified-Road-Map-to-Health See the nifty chart about halfway down the page.

TMG is suggested for the BHMT pathway. I'm having good luck with Yasko's General Health Formula, which has TMG, nucleotides and bunch of other stuff. It gives me a small but nice boost of energy.

You may want to consider lowering the dose of your methyl supps to keep the potassium thing in control. I've heard that the reason potassium is a problem is due to low magnesium, so you may want to experiment with that too. I seem to be an odd person here - I need to take a ton of magnesium, but my potassium is ok.

Freddd also has a new thread discussing the potassium issue, and is chalking it up to B complex vitamins, like B2 and the others, but not so much to B12 and folate.

My magnesium needs got super super high, so I stopped all methylation supps for several days to get it to calm down. Now I'm starting back up each supp one at a time and waiting about 4 days before starting the next one, to see what the culprit is. So far B12 is good.

For me, a little of everything was good, but once I increased I must have gotten over some kind of threshold and my need for magnesium tripled. Unfortunately, I broke my common sense safety rule and increased 3 different pills at the same time, so now I have to go back and redo it.

Homozygous (+/+)
MAO A R297R
MTRR A66G
BHMT-02
BHMT-04
BHMT-08
CBS C699T
People like to freak out about CBS C699T, based on a completely inapplicable study. One study shows that the +/+ version is associated with reduced risk of folate-related birth defects, and another shows it's associated with increase risk of some type of cancer (not surprising since cancer cells enjoy the benefits of good methylation as much as normal cells do). So for methylation purposes, you probably have the better version of that SNP.

BHMT-08 has a minor effect on gene function. The other BHMTs do not.

Homozygous MTRR A66G does have some effect on gene function, and increases the risk of low-folate/high-homocysteine associated birth defects.

All versions of MAOA are very common, and each is associated with small risk factors for different mental illness. The homozygous version you have is the slower version, so your catecholamines don't break down quickly. Some people think this means that supplementing with methyl groups or catecholamine precursors is a bad idea, and should be undertaken with caution, if at all.

Heterozygous (+/-)
COMT V158M
COMT H62H
VDR Bsm
VDR Taq
MTHFR C677T
MTR A2756G
CBS A360A
The heterozygous COMTs are irrelevant.

VDR Bsm is the same as VDR Taq, except it's reported backwards. While it does reflect the activity of Taq accurately, having variations in both VDR SNPs is no more relevant than having a variation in one of the VDR SNPs. It's not clear if heterozygous VDR Taq has any impact, but might cause slightly lower vitamin D 25.

Heterozygous MTHFR C677T usually means reduced activity, at about 65% of normal. So supplementing a normal dose of methylfolate could be very helpful (if going higher, you might want to be careful due to excess methyl groups potentially causing problems with slow catecholamine break down due to your version of MAOA).

Heterozygous MTR might or might not be a problem. No indication that it has a big impact.

jimells

Valentijn Wow - very impressive! How does anyone keep all that stuff straight? I just ordered the $99 23andme.com test. It will be interesting to see what it reveals...

Valentijn Wow - very impressive! How does anyone keep all that stuff straight? I just ordered the $99 23andme.com test. It will be interesting to see what it reveals...
Mostly people don't keep them straight and just parrot what Yasko says :p I prefer to read the actual research, which is a lot more relevant and accurate.