• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mutated protein Shank3 likely to be the cause of Autism cognitive malfunction

taniaaust1

Lots of new excellent Autism research is going on lately, some which could be relevent to us. The latest study finding comes from NZ.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/2012/11/09/16/02/brain-mutation-linked-to-autism-research

Could this protein be partly involved with what is going on with our brains too? Another area which would be good if it was studied in us.

Researchers said Thursday they had discovered a genetic mutation in people with autism that cuts communication between brain cells to about one-tenth of normal levels.
The study found a protein which helps brain cells transfer data through neurological pathways called synapses was mutated in autism sufferers, offering a likely explanation for their cognitive and behavioural difficulties.

We need to call for all governments put a massive amount of money into all the studies we need to have done (to study all the areas which havent yet been looked at) to work ME/CFS out.

natasa778

Oh if I had a dime for every 'autism genetic breakthrough' study! Seriously!!

This gene is mutated in a tiny percentage of autism cases, but the same mutations are found in a tiny percentage of controls so obviously not pathogenic as such etc same old same old, 'give us more money to continue chasing our own tails' should go the article

This protein is involved in neuroligin-neurexin interaction at the glutamate synapse. Will it be overexpressed or underexpressed in many cases - you bet! I am not saying that this study is wrong, just that it is looking at a very downstream effects