• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Muscle soreness after sauna?

Wondering if anyone else gets sore muscles after spending time in a sauna, or if it's just me.

To be clear, I don't know if I have CFS. I officially had (had?) Lyme and now fibromyalgia. Hyperthermia is one route of chronic lyme treatment, and saunas are also supposed to be good for FM, so I've started doing sauna sessions around 2x a week.

Last week I didn't get my usual sauna time because I was in bed with a pregablin-induced migraine (yet another med to cross off the list!). But on Saturday I was feeling good enough for the previously-scheduled girls-day-out at a spa with my SIL. This was a european sauna/baths spa, so I spent close to nine hours doing sessions of various saunas, salt bath, whirpool, and resting (and a long dinner with plenty of vegetables, fruit, salmon, etc.). I felt great, though tired, when I got home. Sunday when I woke up though, ugh, I felt like I got hit by a truck. My tailbone was sore from laying on the wooden benches, but my muscles also ached terribly. Like the soreness you get the day after you do a hard workout. I also felt mentally exhausted.

I started feeling better Monday, so I went to my usual sauna session at my fitness club. There I have a routine of IR, steam cabin, then swedish - about 40-50 minutes in the heat. Again, the next morning my muscles felt sore.

My heart rate does increase in the sauna, I measured 145 after I came out of the swedish once. I sweat plenty when I'm in the sauna. I also feel great in the heat - I usually feel cold, like cold "to the bone", and I love that the sauna warms "my bones" up. I also drink plenty before, during, and after the sauna. I make myself a homemade electrolyte drink with pink salt and raw honey to drink during the sauna session.

Googling tells me that sauna therapy is good for FM, tight muscles, and sore muscles. Yeah, but what about sauna causing sore muscles? I mean, I can be hopeful and wish that the muscles soreness is a "herx" and caused by the heat killing the lyme or whatever toxins lyme left laying around - sure. Or maybe it's my FM muscle-tightness acting up - maybe. Or maybe the doctors are right and I'm terribly deconditioned and the high HR is causing a passive workout and sore muscles are to be expected - umm, despite what theories doctors spin, I'm not actually that deconditioned, really. Or maybe I do have CFS and this is just a sign of PEM - maybe?

All the base theories are fine, but what physiologically is causing the muscle soreness? It is a passive workout of a sort, so am I getting lactic acid build-up or something? Is there something else I should be doing before, during, after the sauna to prevent this muscle soreness?

And more importantly, is all this a sign that I'm getting better? Or is this making me worse?

jason30

The first thing that comes in mind is the loss of electrolytes. Potassium is an electrolyte that helps muscle function, and sore muscles can occur from a lack of potassium.
Secondly, you are detoxing and that can give some symptoms you got.

Seven7

Seven
Drink water w electrolyte before sessions and after ( I do for massages too which crashes me also) I have POTs so I stay away this days from heat.

Thanks for the ideas all.

But I feel like I already do drink enough, that's the thing. Yesterday I did the sauna again (more than 48 hrs since the previous session I mentioned in pp) and drank .75l of my homemade tonic (which also includes coconut water, forgot to say that in pp) and then .75l of the electrolyte sports drink the gym provides. I had topee a couple times that night when I got home so I think it was enough. But again today I feel sore and tired.

Maybe I'm just weird.

TenuousGrip

I started feeling better Monday, so I went to my usual sauna session at my fitness club. There I have a routine of IR, steam cabin, then swedish - about 40-50 minutes in the heat. Again, the next morning my muscles felt sore.

You could easily be overdoing it.

What about a trial with much less time in each room? If it helps, then you can gradually increase your time until you start to experience symptoms again.

Btw, I squally stay in for 30 min, cool down in the pool and then do another thirty to end it. Today I did 30, cool down, followed by 20...I think for that was too much for me today

datadragon

http://www.magnesiumoil.com/magnesium-health/detox

Magnesium is used greatly during detox. That causes the sore muscles. Try bioschwartz magnesium bisglycinate, small pills, great absorption. I have had good luck with that as well as magnesium chloride oil but that is topical. Boiron Magnesia phosphorica 30c is something you can carry with you, and when you get symptoms, its a sublingual and works in minutes to relieve the symptoms for situations like that, but isnt enough to fix a deficiency by itself. Let me know how it goes.

Sodium especially is lost a lot as well.

Last edited:

unicorn7

I have the same thing.

Do you have PEM normally? Because with me I see it as normal PEM reaction. It’s the same reaction that I normally get when I exert myself. I did find it interesting that you don’t need muscle activity to get PEM, getting my heartrate up is enough to get the symptoms the next day.

I only go in the sauna for very short periods now, because I don’t want my heartrate to go up much.