Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Muscle burn from doing repetitive motions

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by Dmitri, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Dmitri

Dmitri Senior Member

NYC
    When I do repetitive motions like brushing teeth or even just holding an arm up while using a phone, I quickly get a burning pain in the activated muscle. The discomfort dissipates within a few seconds of stopping, but it limits many everyday activities. Climbing stairs does the same to my legs. This, combined with quick exhaustion and shortness of breath, was the reason I could never swim for more than short bursts.

I thought this was normal and attributed it to the popular "feel the burn" exercise trope until I found a thread about it on another forum where it was a common complaint.

Is it most likely due to poor circulation? Acid accumulation? Inflamed muscle tissue?

PatJ likes this.
  2. Matthew Jones

Matthew Jones Senior Member

I think that unfortunately that is common in CFS. I mean the word myalgia in ME - myalgic encephalomyelitis means pain in a group of muscles.

Sorry to hear you are having to deal with this.

Dmitri likes this.
  3. AdamS

AdamS Senior Member

Yes, sadly this seems to be part of the disease. I'm not entirely sure what the cause is, but the below information might help, my guess is that the impairment to energy metabolism we see in ME also causes impairments to the things below:

From http://www.mitoaction.org/guide/fatigue-and-exercise-intolerance

Dmitri and Matthew Jones like this.
  4. Dmitri

Dmitri Senior Member

NYC
    High incidence of autonomic dysfunction would suggest inadequate delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the muscle too, probably a matter of both.

Has anyone had success in treating this? Maybe that might provide a closer look.

5. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    I had rapid muscle fatigue as you described but it has improved over the past year (though I'm still nowhere near normal). The improvement might be related to taking lipisomal glutathione, and also from increasing my protein intake using protein powder that contains BCAAs.

See more popular forum discussions.