• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MUS, PPS services and IAPT integration into NHS primary care - what's happening across the UK?

Countrygirl

Now what do I do?

Easy! :)

Pop over the Dorset/Devon border and have a word with the Practice Manager and the partners of my surgery.

I'll put the kettle on. :angel:

Then there is your UK-wide tour to visit every surgery in the land and explain the situation to them.

I should prepare yourself by taking an extra dose of vit D. Rest today though @trishrhymes. You don't want to over do it.

Monday would be a good day to start. :thumbsup::hug:

slysaint

Interventions to be funded
Intervention 1 - Integrated IAPT

bid-call.png
@charles shepherd is there anything you/MEA can do about this?
At the very least the ME community need to be made aware of what is coming down the pipeline.
@Tom Kindlon @Keith Geraghty

Last edited:

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
Do they generate these texts using online jargon generators?

http://www.actcbsconference.com/programme.pdf

The Third BABCP ACT SIG / ACBS UK & Ireland Chapter conference on ACT and Contextual Behavioural Science

22-25 November 2016

Poster Presentations

P18 The use of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy in the management of chronic fatigue syndrome/ME: A case example

Miss Ashley Mai Williams Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases

Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) has attracted much interest over the last 17 years, and literature is fast increasing on its use in Functional Somatic Syndromes, such as Fibromyalgia Syndrome and Irritable Bowel
Syndrome.To date, the use of ACT in the treatment of CFS/ME has not been investigated.This case example
illustrates how ACT has been used in the treatment of an adult with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME).

The patient was a 52-year-old woman severely affected by CFS/ME. It was hypothesised that fusion with her critical mind was leading to a reduction in her engagement in valued life domains.

ACT was used as the psychological treatment model in this study, focusing on fostering behaviours embedded in valued life directions rather than emphasising reductions in fatigue and psychological distress. Following treatment, improvements were seen in valued life activities, psychological resilience, and long-term management of fatigue.This was evidenced by improved communication of needs to significant others, validation of self, reduced isolation (yoga classes, seeing friends), compassionate relationship with self, stronger sense of selfidentity not dominated by fatigue, willingness to accept challenging emotions and symptoms, and engagement in self-care behaviours (mindfulness meditation, rest). The outcome of this intervention indicates that ACT can be an important therapy for supporting adults with CFS/ME to manage this long-term condition. Empirical studies are needed to examine the clinical effectiveness of ACT with this patient population.

Last edited:

trishrhymes

Easy! :)

Pop over the Dorset/Devon border and have a word with the Practice Manager and the partners of my surgery.

I'll put the kettle on. :angel:

Then there is your UK-wide tour to visit every surgery in the land and explain the situation to them.

I should prepare yourself by taking an extra dose of vit D. Rest today though @trishrhymes. You don't want to over do it.

Monday would be a good day to start. :thumbsup::hug:

Lying in bed laughing like a drain. Thanks @Countrygirl
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Can drains laugh? Can pigs fly? Can GET cure me?)

:hug::hug::hug:

trishrhymes

The patient was a 52-year-old woman severely affected by CFS/ME. It was hypothesised that fusion with her critical mind was leading to a reduction in her engagement in valued life domains.

If someone used that sentence about me, I think I'd dig deep in my life domain for a hammer and bash their brains in. Might help them unfuse their own critical minds and think more clearly instead of spouting drivel.

:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

Seriously, what they seem to be saying is that they have NO evidence that this 'therapy' has any benefit.
No clinical trials, no control groups, no objective evidence, nothing.

Just anecdotal evidence of a single case where they helped someone to engage a bit more with their friends and try some yoga, and to say they felt a bit more able to cope with their symptoms.

:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

Dx Revision Watch

A September 2016 Kallesøe, Schröder, Fink et al paper, here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5030556/

BMJ Open. 2016; 6(9): e012743.
Published online 2016 Sep 15. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012743
PMCID: PMC5030556

Comparing group-based acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) with enhanced usual care for adolescents with functional somatic syndromes: a study protocol for a randomised trial

Karen Hansen Kallesøe,1 Andreas Schröder,1 Rikard K Wicksell,2 Per Fink,1 Eva Ørnbøl,1 and Charlotte Ulrikka Rask1,3

Introduction
Functional somatic syndromes (FSS) are common in adolescents, characterised by severe disability and reduced quality of life. Behavioural treatments such as acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) has shown promising results in children and adolescents with FSS, but has focused on specific syndromes such as functional pain. The current study will compare the efficacy of group-based ACT with that of enhanced usual care (EUC) in adolescents with a range of FSS operationalised by the unifying construct of multiorgan bodily distress syndrome (BDS).
etc

----------------------

I think Chalder may also have published a paper using ACT.

Dx Revision Watch

Countrygirl

My significant other is communicating an awareness of deficiencies in the valued domain of the cake tin and is encouraging willingness to accept the needs of others by fostering increased engagement with the oven - so that's me for the afternoon.

I thought you were scheduled to be engaged with your domesticals this weekend @Dx Revision Watch???

This is much more fun though.

I think we must exploit this garbage for all we are worth. It really is such utter tosh that even GPs must see this for what it is worth??? Consultants not so likely though I guess. More ego, less brain.