• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MUS, PPS services and IAPT integration into NHS primary care - what's happening across the UK?

Countrygirl

I didn't realise that was one of @Molly98 's - I've been using it for years. I must owe her a fortune in royalty payments.

It's originality is that it is uttered from the genteel lips of one of the refined ladies belonging to the South West's Monstrous Regiment of Women who are all waiting to rise from their beds to take on the Establishment. It marks an unprecedented event in history...............and is becoming so popular that it risks being adopted as the battle cry of the delicate laaaaadies of the South West as we daintily nibble our cucumber sandwiches, and wash down our cream teas with a bone-china cup of Earl Grey.....................with our little pinkies elegantly poised of course.

Here is @Molly98 rehearsing me in the art of how to gain the ear of the Establishment.

8030108397f0b3b6648bad65e1c7df90.jpg

Last edited:

Molly98

@Molly98 I am sorry to tell you but I don't think you are going to make it. You are far too refined as yet.

Can't make a sow's ear from a silk purse. :D
Your kidding me.
Well @Countrygirl you have just dashed all my hopes and aspirations for the future in one foul blow.
I have lost my career, my friends, my hopes and dreams to this illness and the only thing that kept me going was my aspiration that one day, just one day I may be like Nan.
It was the one thing left for me that I could do from my armchair:(

trishrhymes

Your kidding me.
Well @Countrygirl you have just dashed all my hopes and aspirations for the future in one foul blow.
I have lost my career, my friends, my hopes and dreams to this illness and the only thing that kept me going was my aspiration that one day, just one day I may be like Nan.

I think this version has so much more potency:

Yes dear it's pronounced " Fawk awf"

I'd work on that with suitable variations..

Countrygirl

Your kidding me.

Mortified that I have destroyed your life's dream @Molly98. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh:

Head droops.......trails off into the sunset muttering...........fawk awf C.G. sniff fawk awf C.G. sniff sniff ...........Fawk....................oh sod it !!!! @Molly98! You're a star! Illness or not! We have work to do ;):hug::hug::hug:

Molly98

I'd quite like a combo of Nan's It's a f****** liberty and fawk awf.....

I can just see @Molly98 leaning back in her armchair, giving a great Lady Bracknell-esque disparaging sniff and announcing: " That's a fawking liberty!" as she scans the latest MUS entry to the thread.....
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

We actually need Nan to turn up at the Sense About Science talk sit in the audience and then once Wessely Starts singing his own praises and telling his stories about those no good pesky ME patients she could just shout him down with her expletives. Now Nan would not fawn over him like all the others will and she would steal his limelight which would upset him immensely.
It would be good even if someone sat in the audience with a recording of Nan and when ever he spoke hit the 'what a load of old shit " button. Ooh if only I lived close by the fun i could have.

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
Another Written Question from the Countess of Mar - this one on MUS

http://www.parliament.uk/business/p...nts/written-question/Lords/2017-03-20/HL6204/

Written question HL6204: The Countess of Mar 20-03-2017
Q
Asked by The Countess of Mar

Asked on: 20 March 2017

Department of Health

HL6204

To ask Her Majesty’s Government upon what scientific basis the Expert Reference Group for the Joint Commissioning Panel for Mental Health (JCPMH), in publishing their guide on Commissioning for Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS), based their decision that myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) should be categorised as a functional somatic disorder, given that the World Health Organisation’s mandatory International Classification of Diseases categorises the illness as neurological under ICD 10-G93.3, and that the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has not listed ME/CFS as a functional somatic disorder; and whether they will withdraw the recommendation for cognitive behaviour therapy and graded exercise to be commissioned for patients with ME/CFS until NICE Guideline CG53 is reviewed.

Edited to add document:

http://www.jcpmh.info/resource/guid...rvices-people-medically-unexplained-symptoms/

http://www.jcpmh.info/wp-content/uploads/jcpmh-mus-guide.pdf

Guidance for commissioners of services for people with medically unexplained symptoms

February 9, 2017

Written Response to Written Question of 20 March 2017:

A
Answered by
: Lord O'Shaughnessy
Answered on: 28 March 2017

The Joint Commissioning Panel for Mental Health is not a Government body, it is a collaboration between 17 leading organisations including the Department of Health, and is co-chaired by the Royal College of Psychiatrists and the Royal College of General Practitioners. The Department was not closely involved in the writing or production of this document.

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) is currently reviewing the guidance GC53 to consider whether it should be updated to take account of new evidence. NICE are expected to reach a decision on whether the guidance should be updated in summer 2017.

slysaint

I think this is mentioned somewhere on this thread but picked up the Youtube link on a Keith Geraghty tweet:

Keith Geraghty‏@keithgeraghty Apr 26

m21 the lie creeps in most people with MUS (CFS) are neurotic perfectionists with childhood trauma who cant keep up

m30 she says she's trying to convince NHS via IAPT to take on board her version of CBT, then admits patients with MUS not doing well..

m33 she downplays Annals Systematic review that shows CBT and other counselling therapies low impact & inconsistent

look at this Annals review of low effectiveness of CBT - this includes PACE & FINE which we now know to be highly biased RCTs / unreliable

C-XKEDsWsAEx2Ze.jpg

Moss-Morris has inspired the tite of my next conference talk on my research which should be in Warwick University this summer. See GP Q m44

C-XSSV9XYAAAe9C.jpg

Last edited:

helperofearth123

This is crazy, it's so dystopic. Most of us are too tired to do anything about it. If I had the energy I would be writing to my MP, writing letters to billinaire philanthropists trying to get funding and going on protests about it. But I can't do any of it. I'm too tired.

The money wasted on training all these CBT practitioners is tragic. They might as well apply leeches to our skin, at least then we might be ablate get a placebo effect.

I'm sick of having to explain to all my fiends thats its physical not being sure if they believe me.

slysaint

Now recruiting:
IAPT Trainee - High Intensity Cognitive Behaviour Therapists - Mental Health / Charity
http://jobs.derbytelegraph.co.uk/jo...e-behaviour-therapists-mental-health-charity/
"They are recruiting up to six Trainee High Intensity Cognitive Behaviour Therapists. The training posts are for 1 year which includes two days per week at University and 3 days of supervised clinical practice. The successful applicants will have either a relevant core mental health profession or be able to demonstrate the equivalent knowledge and experience. An essential part of the role will be good communication skills particularly with someone in distress."

eta: High Intensity CBT?

Last edited:

RogerBlack

Excellent, they'll be equiped to to employ an ME sufferer then. Where do I apply?
The equalities act requires 'reasonable adjustments' from employers to provide for workers disabilities (ME certainly qualifies - it's a broad definition in the act).
But, if you can't do the job due to your basic capacity, after reasonable adjustments, they can completely legally fire you.

Binkie4

I was employed once.........far back.

I needed to space my work to pace energy. I reduced from 4 days a week to 3 days a week. Mon, Tues, Thurs worked . I worked a whole year academic year without one sick day. I rested on Wed and Fri and had a family weekend.

Timetables rewritten the next year. I was timetabled Mon , Tues and Fri. I tried to explain that I needed to do family stuff at weekend so rest on Fri was essential.

No success so no rest on Fri. I ended up sick and retiring on health grounds that year.

No feasible adjustments. Was devastated at the time but had time on my functional days to do healthy things like singing course, yoga. Had been too drained to do them while working so I benefitted.

Now deteriorating so singing, other benefits lost.

Apologies for being abrupt. I don't find it easy to explain.

Has anyone else been able to secure reasonable adjustments?