• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MUS, PPS services and IAPT integration into NHS primary care - what's happening across the UK?

Countrygirl

I have copied the post by @loop from the thread on Kate Rimes's paper posted here a couple of pages ago.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nal-processing-vulnerabili.48841/#post-804242

Ha ha....I took part in a 'study' a few years ago led by Kate Rimes ( the above author). It was to test the effect of Mindfulness on CFS..... Lots of rating your 'fatigue'.....1 to 10.

At the first session we had to see how many times we could stand up and sit down in a minute. At the end of the course...we repeated the test. I suppose this was a crude way of judging the effect of the trial. I remember thinking 'how unscientific'.....and that was in the early days of gullibility.

Unbelievable!

These are the people who represent British science????

Just how embarrassing can it get? :confused::cry::cry: :sluggish:

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
IAPT for the deliverers of IAPT?

-------------------------------------

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28084121

J Ment Health. 2017 Jan 13:1-8. doi: 10.1080/09638237.2016.1276540. [Epub ahead of print]

Predictors of emotional exhaustion, disengagement and burnout among improving access to psychological therapies (IAPT) practitioners.
Westwood S1, Morison L1, Allt J2, Holmes N1.
Author information

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Among mental health staff, burnout has been associated with undesirable outcomes, such as physical and mental ill-health, high levels of staff turnover and poorer patient care.

AIMS:
To estimate the prevalence and predictors of burnout amongst Improving Access to Psychological Therapist (IAPT) practitioners.

METHODS:
IAPT practitioners (N = 201) completed an on-line survey measuring time spent per week on different types of work related activity. These were investigated as predictors of burnout (measured using the Oldenburg Burnout Inventory).

RESULTS:
The prevalence of burnout was 68.6% (95% confidence interval (CI) 58.8-77.3%) among psychological wellbeing practitioners (PWP) and 50.0% (95% CI 39.6-60.4%) among high intensity (HI) therapists. Among PWPs hours of overtime-predicted higher odds of burnout and hours of clinical supervision predicted lower odds of burnout. The odds of burnout increased with telephone hours of patient contact among PWPs who had worked in the service for two or more years. None of the job characteristics significantly predicted burnout among HI therapists.

CONCLUSIONS:
Our results suggest a high prevalence of burnout among IAPT practitioners. Strategies to reduce burnout among PWPs involving reductions in workload, particularly telephone contact and increases in clinical supervision need to be evaluated.

KEYWORDS:
Burnout; IAPT; disengagement; emotional exhaustion; mental health

Dx Revision Watch

What IAPT deliverers do next.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27465233

Behav Cogn Psychother. 2017 Jan;45(1):16-30. Epub 2016 Jul 28.

What IAPT CBT High-Intensity Trainees Do After Training.
Liness S1, Lea S2, Nestler S1, Parker H1, Clark DM3.
Author information

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

The UK Department of Health Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) initiative set out to train a large number of therapists in cognitive behaviour therapies (CBT) for depression and anxiety disorders. Little is currently known about the retention of IAPT CBT trainees, or the use of CBT skills acquired on the course in the workplace after training has finished.

AIMS:
This study set out to conduct a follow-up survey of past CBT trainees on the IAPT High Intensity CBT Course at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), King's College London (KCL), one of the largest IAPT High Intensity courses in the UK.

METHOD:
Past trainees (n = 212) across 6 cohorts (2008-2014 intakes) were contacted and invited to participate in a follow-up survey. A response rate of 92.5% (n = 196) was achieved.

RESULTS:
The vast majority of IAPT trainees continue to work in IAPT services posttraining (79%) and to practise CBT as their main therapy modality (94%); 61% have become CBT supervisors. A minority (23%) have progressed to other senior roles in the services. Shortcomings are reported in the use of out-of-office CBT interventions, the use of disorder-specific outcome measures and therapy recordings to inform therapy and supervision.

CONCLUSIONS:
Past trainees stay working in IAPT services and continue to use CBT methods taught on the course. Some NICE recommended treatment procedures that are likely to facilitate patients' recovery are not being routinely implemented across IAPT services. The results have implications for the continued roll out of the IAPT programme, and other future large scale training initiatives.

KEYWORDS:
CBT; CBT supervision; CBT training; follow-up

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Our results suggest a high prevalence of burnout among IAPT practitioners. Strategies to reduce burnout among PWPs involving reductions in workload
FFS why do they get to reduce workload?

For years we've been saying we need to reduce our activities and been told we're barking, but as soon as they feel a bit tired they get to put their feet up.

Surely they need Graded Workload Therapy to correct their false burnout beliefs?

A bit of consistency wouldn't come amiss.

Dx Revision Watch

https://www.england.nhs.uk/mentalhe.../09/adult-iapt-workforce-census-report-15.pdf

2015 Adult IAPT Workforce Census Report
Version number: v1

First published: 5th September 2016
Prepared by: NHS England and Health Education England
Classification: OFFICIAL

Page 8

1.1.9 Staff turnover
The average turnover (leaver) rate for the Low Intensity staff group was 22% compared to 9% for the High Intensity staff group. More detailed data is required to know whether this is natural movement (or ‘churn’) in the workforce between providers or whether staff are leaving the workforce entirely.

14 Leavers
The average turnover (leaver) rate for the Low Intensity staff group is 22%23. Within the category, this varies from 25% of PWPs [Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners] leaving in the previous year to 11% of non-IAPT qualified PWPs [Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners]. There is some anecdotal evidence to suggest that this is simply the result of PWPs moving between services or due to a large proportion of PWPs going into High Intensity training, which would mean that this could be normal and expected behaviour. However, more detailed data is required to determine the specific destinations of these Low Intensity leavers.

The average turnover (leaver) rate for the High Intensity staff group is relatively low (9%) compared with the PWPs. Within the category, this varies from 12% of HITs leaving in the previous year to 0% of some of the additional modalities (however, it must be noted that the small numbers in these groups mean that no turnover in the past year is not necessarily an indicator of future behaviour.

The 2016 workforce census will examine career progression in more detail, in particular, how many stay in the IAPT system and how many move on.

Page 34

Information on leaver rates and career progression – In order to evaluate the impact of turnover rates, the reasons for leaving need to be explored and strategies for increasing staff retention rates need to be developed. Going beyond the workforce census, in depth analyses of workforce volatility are required in future to explore leaver destinations and career progression, for example, through longitudinal study.

--------------------

ED: There are tables comparing data for Low and High Intensity staff and a table for leavers by region, and grading, for example, high leaver rates for PWPs (Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners) in these regions:

HEALTH EDUCATION NORTH WEST LONDON 47% of PWPs
HEALTH EDUCATION THAMES VALLEY 51% of PWPs
HEALTH EDUCATION EAST OF ENGLAND 45% of PWPs

from Table 14: Leaver rates by HEE region

Last edited:

Dx Revision Watch

I revise my prediction: soon 33.3% of the population of England will be delivering IAPT to the 33.3% deemed in need of it, while the remaining 33.3% are publishing research papers on the back of it or counseling IAPT therapists identified as suffering from burnout as a result of delivering it.

Last edited:
I revise my prediction: soon 33.3% of the population of England will be delivering IAPT to the 33.3% deemed in need of it, while the remaining 33.3% are publishing research papers on the back of it or counseling IAPT therapists identified as suffering from burnout as a result of delivering it.

Roll on the day when they're all so busy filling in questionnaires and analysing each other that they haven't got time to see any actual patients, and they leave us all alone.

Must be some offshore island somewhere where we can send them all for a staff bonding experience, and analyse each other to death...
toonvectors-39490-940.jpg

Countrygirl

Just made a drop of the MEA's anti-CBT/GBT document behind enemy lines again.

Made a safe return.

I don't think I was followed.:cautious:

(My mother used to 'make' (inspect) Lancaster bomber engines. She would be proud of me.

If she 'failed' them they were flogged to Argentina..............she said they deserved them...???? :eek: )

Last edited:

Dx Revision Watch

Attachments

• MUS-Project-Implementation-Report.pdf
    830 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Countrygirl

Skimming the Shine o_O document for MUS, which apparently includes ME now, the participants seem to be mainly ethnic minority women who experience severe repression as a result of their male-dominant culture.

I would image it was a positive experience for them to be respectfully heard and supported within an all-female setting.

I have no idea how this possibly transfers to managing ME.

Well.......................it doesn't.

It is nonsense.