• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MUS, PPS services and IAPT integration into NHS primary care - what's happening across the UK?

Countrygirl

Knowingly misleading Members of Parliament is a serious offence.

Peter White received over £5 million to carry out the PACE Trial but he was already aware that ME/CFS patients without a comorbid psychiatric order do not have an exercise phobia: “Fatigue was not caused by current level of inactivity” (J Psychsom Res 2005:58:4:367-373) and furthermore, he knew that there are serious immunological disturbances in ME/CFS patients that are related to inflammation and exercise: “Immunological abnormalities are commonly observed in CFS…Concentrations of plasma transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-) (anti-inflammatory) and tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-) (pro-inflammatory) have both been shown to be raised….Abnormal regulation of cytokines may both reflect and cause altered function across a broad range of cell types…..Altered cytokine levels, whatever their origin, could modify muscle and or neuronal function. “Concentrations of TGF-1 were significantly elevated in CFS patients at all times before and after exercise testing. “We found that exercise induced a sustained elevation in the concentration of TNF- which was still present three days later, and this only occurred in the CFS patients. “TGF- was grossly elevated when compared to controls before exercise (and) showed an increase in response to the exercise entailed in getting to the study centre. “These data replicate three out of four previous studies finding elevated TGF- in subjects with CFS. “The pro-inflammatory cytokine TNF- is known to be a cause of acute sickness behaviour, characterised by reduced activity related to ‘weakness, malaise, listlessness and inability to concentrate’, symptoms also notable in CFS. “These preliminary data suggest that ‘ordinary’ activity (ie. that involved in getting up and travelling some distance) may induce anti-inflammatory cytokine release (TGF), whereas more intense exercise may induce pro-inflammatory cytokine release (TNF- ) in patients with CFS” (Immunological changes after both exercise and activity in chronic fatigue syndrome: a pilot study. White PD, KE Nye, AJ Pinching et al. JCFS 2004:12 (2):51-66).

http://www.margaretwilliams.me/2017/quotable-quotes-continued.pdf

Last edited:

Countrygirl

In June 2005, thinking that he was sending his lecture notes to an ME patient who had contacted him about his lecture on 12th May 2005, Sharpe sent a file containing about 120 of his patients’ clinical notes; those notes contained his patients’ name, date of birth and address and included Sharpe’s own adverse comments on his patients. His clinical notes were embedded into his power point presentation file. Those personal details could have been forwarded to anyone and were indeed on Google (but were not put there by the ME patient to whom they had been sent).

The essence of Sharpe’s comments could be summarised as “These idiots need to change their attitude”.

The comments included such words as: “putting it on”; “mad”; “imagining symptoms”; “examination was a waste of time”; “It’s been a waste of time because the reports from Psych aren’t here”.

The file also contained deeply private comments made by patients to Professor Sharpe about their feelings. Because of his work for the insurance industry, Sharpe’s notes had an adverse impact on his patients who were in receipt of insurance benefits because they were informed that their benefits were to be stopped.

Following a complaint about Sharpe’s substantial breach of patient confidentiality, on 19th August 2005 journalist Ian Johnston reported it in The Scotsman, reporting that the University of Edinburgh accepted the leak by Professor Sharpe: “An unfortunate, inadvertent error has led to a breach of confidentiality and will be subject to a full investigation conducted in partnership with the proper NHS authorities”. Johnston’s article continued: “The university spokeswoman said that Prof Sharpe had been made aware of the situation, but was on holiday”. It is understood that no disciplinary action was taken against him.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

Can there be any credible doubt that Professors Wessely, White and Sharpe have been responsible for years of suppression of the biomedical evidence about ME/CFS in the UK; for the wasting of many millions of pounds sterling in unwarranted “behavioural” research and for creating an environment which has caused suffering – both physical and financial – to patients with ME/CFS? As Professor Malcolm Hooper said, this is indeed a travesty of science and a tragedy for patients.

Last edited:

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
[I don't have access to full paper.]

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...hfinder-site/16876898FDCD59559E54AD1DDA4AD6C1

Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy

Volume 44, Issue 5 September 2016, pp. 553-567

Developing Services for Patients with Depression or Anxiety in the Context of Long-term Physical Health Conditions and Medically Unexplained Symptoms: Evaluation of an IAPT Pathfinder Site

Stephen Kellett (a1), Kimberley Webb (a2), Nic Wilkinson (a3), Paul Bliss (a4) ...

DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1352465816000114

Published online: 20 May 2016

Abstract

Background: There are national policy drivers for mental health services to demonstrate that they are effectively meeting the psychological needs of people with long-term health conditions/medically unexplained symptoms (LTC/MUS).

Aims: To evaluate the implementation of a stepped-care service delivery model within an Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) service for patients with depression or anxiety in the context of their LTC/MUS.

Method: A stepped-care model was designed and implemented. Clinical and organizational impacts were evaluated via analyses of LTC/MUS patient profiles, throughputs and outcomes. Results: The IAPT service treated N = 844 LTC and N = 172 MUS patients, with the majority (81.81%) receiving a low intensity intervention. Dropout across the service steps was low. There were few differences between LTC and MUS outcome rates regardless of step of service, but outcomes were suppressed when compared to generic IAPT patients.

Conclusions: The potential contribution of IAPT stepped-care service delivery models in meeting the psychological needs of LTC/MUS patients is debated.

Sean

"Empirical testing of such interventions in LTC and MUS remains at an early stage of development."

So why are you currently implementing them in clinics across the land as a core health program, without adequate evidence of their clinical benefit and safety, let alone broader economic benefit, especially in times of desperately cash strapped health services?
And on what possible grounds can you justify threatening patients with either refusing to supply even the most minimal of support services for them, or sectioning them if they don't comply with your evidence-free demands?

Countrygirl

I now have a copy of the MEA's document No Decisions about ME ----without ME. It is a summary of their 2015 report on the use of CBT and/or GET in ME and is compared to pacing.

It is very good and I will send it to the surgery. It undermines the false claims being made by the IAPT proponents.

I recommend it if you become targeted by the NHS's latest craze.

Dx Revision Watch

I now have a copy of the MEA's document No Decisions about ME ----without ME. It is a summary of their 2015 report on the use of CBT and/or GET in ME and is compared to pacing.

It is very good and I will send it to the surgery. It undermines the false claims being made by the IAPT proponents.

The MEA's document (in .docx format) can be downloaded here:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/NO-DECISIONS-WITHOUT-ME-report.docx

ME/CFS Illness Management Survey Results

“No decisions about me without me”

In PDF format:

ME Association. ‘ME/CFS Illness Management Survey Results: No decisions about me without me’. Patient Survey, May 2015. http://www.meassociation.org.uk/wp-...No-decisions-about-me-without-me-30.05.15.pdf

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/wp-...No-decisions-about-me-without-me-30.05.15.pdf
http://www.meassociation.org.uk/wp-...No-decisions-about-me-without-me-30.05.15.pdf

Last edited:

Dx Revision Watch

NelliePledge

I have PEM at mo so v short reply. Big problem with this is people newly diagnosed won't be finding this forum will be going to MEA AFME I got caught into IAPT when diagnosed. MECFS clinic some time later not good but a lot better service than IAPT. I will post more in a couple od days.

Dx Revision Watch

I have PEM at mo so v short reply. Big problem with this is people newly diagnosed won't be finding this forum will be going to MEA AFME I got caught into IAPT when diagnosed. MECFS clinic some time later not good but a lot better service than IAPT. I will post more in a couple od days.

@NelliePledge We'll be interested to hear your experience of IAPT, if you are up to sharing.

Dx Revision Watch

Citizens Advice

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/h...-patients-rights/#h-right-to-refuse-treatment

Right to refuse treatment

You can refuse any treatment if you wish (but see under heading Consent).

( https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/healthcare/nhs-healthcare/nhs-patients-rights/#Consent )

When you visit a doctor, this usually implies consent to examination and treatment. The doctor cannot act against specific instructions, so you should tell the doctor about any treatment you do not want.

If there are a number of alternative treatments which can be used to treat your condition, you should be given information on these. However, you cannot insist on a particular treatment if the doctor or consultant thinks this is not appropriate.

Forcing treatment on you against your will is assault. If you are assaulted, you should contact your Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) or NHS Trust to make a complaint. Your local HealthWatch, local independent advocacy service or hospital-based PALS service may be able to help you take the complaint further. You may also wish to involve the police.

For information on making a complaint, see
Dealing with NHS problems - where to start.

( https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/h...-to-start-if-you-have-a-problem-with-the-nhs/ )

RogerBlack

Can there be any credible doubt that Professors Wessely, White and Sharpe have been responsible for years of suppression of the biomedical evidence about ME/CFS in the UK; for the wasting of many millions of pounds sterling in unwarranted “behavioural” research and for creating an environment which has caused suffering – both physical and financial – to patients with ME/CFS?

And billions in benefits, lost tax revenue, ...
The funding for BPS research is almost irrelevant.

slysaint

This is key:
"
  • Before GET courses, 62% of respondents were mild to moderate sufferers and 38% were severe to very severe sufferers

• After GET courses, 41% of respondents were mild to moderate sufferers and 59% were severe to very severe sufferers

This suggests to us that substantial harm was done to many GET participants."

slysaint

You can refuse any treatment if you wish
Another area where you can be 'forced' to accept 'treatment' is the benefits system. The DWP can, if they think it is fitting, ask you to "establish daily routines,setting individual goals such as exercise routines, or visits to places'.
If you refuse you get sanctioned......................and the way things are going,who knows you might end up being sectioned as well.

Dx Revision Watch

Another area where you can be 'forced' to accept 'treatment' is the benefits system. The DWP can, if they think it is fitting, ask you to "establish daily routines,setting individual goals such as exercise routines, or visits to places'.
If you refuse you get sanctioned......................and the way things are going,who knows you might end up being sectioned as well.

I imagine some employee insurance schemes still expect certain treatments to have been tried, too.

Invisible Woman

Big problem with this is people newly diagnosed won't be finding this forum will be going to MEA AFME I got caught into IAPT when diagnosed.

Absolutely. Folk who have previous;y had the luck of good health have no idea what a minefield the whole system can be. I often think that these are the ones targeted for a lot of the research based on questionnaires as well. They believe the stereotype of ME/CFS sufferers being lazy or weak and so do their best on questionnaires to show that they were not like that and that causes instant bias on some personality research type questions.

The newbies are very vulnerable and in many respects they are also our achilles heel. They go along with treatments because they don't know any better. Then they are left by the wayside to suffer when they don't recover. Meanwhile their early stage input, when they still wanted to please their dr or therapist and were trying to convince themselves they were recovering is used as a stick to beat us all.

Dx Revision Watch

Hansard 18 March 2009

8.37 pm

Debate: Health: Cognitive Therapy
Question for Short Debate

Tabled By Baroness Tonge

To ask Her Majesty’s Government what steps they are taking to implement cognitive psychotherapy in the National Health Service.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200809/ldhansrd/text/90318-0012.htm

Countess of Mar speaks on next page, here:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200809/ldhansrd/text/90318-0013.htm

9.20 pm

The Countess of Mar:
My Lords, from my point of view it is wholly appropriate that this subject should be debated at this time and I am grateful to the noble Baroness, Lady Tonge, for her introduction. I declare my interest as chairman of Forward-ME and as patron of several ME charities.

While I recognise that there are some patients with a variety of conditions apart from mental illness—cancer, for example—who might benefit from cognitive behaviour therapy, or CBT, as it is known, I would like to introduce another note of caution. The noble Lord, Lord Rea, has already introduced his. CBT is not the cure for all ills that it is sometimes held up to be. Indeed, it is not, strictly speaking, a treatment at all, since its purpose is to support patients in recognising and managing their symptoms. However, there is a group of chronic illnesses where overwhelming post-exertional fatigue is a major factor, causation is poorly understood, and for which there is no single or comprehensive treatment—CFS/ME, fibromyalgia and irritable bowel syndrome, for example—that do not respond positively to CBT. Patients expect doctors to provide answers, and doctors are, naturally, reluctant to admit defeat. Current advice to doctors is that, after routine tests have failed to point to causation, there is no need for further investigations. Some doctors take the easy route by concluding that the illness must be psychological and that CBT will provide the answer. However, many clinical tests listed in the Canadian criteria do show disease/disorder dysfunction in many bodily systems.

I will deal only with the 240,000-odd CFS/ME sufferers this evening. This is an illness that, according to some researchers, has had several different names in the past; neurasthenia and hysteria are examples. Other researchers have believed since 1934 that it is caused by viruses, other micro-organisms or toxins. Even more confusing is the incidence and severity of symptoms reported by patients. It is not surprising that almost everyone concerned with this illness, be they patient, carer or medical practitioner, is, to some degree, bewildered.

In the face of this bewilderment, in 2004, the Secretary of State for Health and the Welsh Assembly asked NICE to prepare,

“guidance on the assessment, diagnosis, management of adjustment and coping, symptom management, and the use of rehabilitation​

18 Mar 2009 : Column 317

strategies geared towards optimising functioning and achieving greater independence for adults and children with CFS/ME”.​

In August 2007, the guideline was published amid a barrage of criticism from the ME community. Why was it criticised? It was because the only “treatments” recommended by NICE on the basis of very limited and strongly criticised scientific evidence were CBT and its twin sister, graded exercise therapy or GET. The quick reference guide to the 300-plus pages of the full guidelines described CBT as:

“An evidence-based psychological therapy that is a collaborative treatment approach. When it is used for CFS/ME, the aim of CBT is to reduce symptoms, disability and distress associated with the condition. The use of CBT does not assume that the symptoms are psychological or ‘made up’”.

Unfortunately, in the view of a number of professional organisations and researchers working in this field, the evidence-base is not as clear as NICE would have us believe. A statement from ME Research UK asserts that:

“The evidence base consists of only five trials which have a validity score of less than 10. We note that the most recently published RCT on CBT (O'Dowd 2006) states: ‘there was, however, no evidence that the treatment restored normal levels of function for the majority of patients’”.

The Association for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy in the NHS states,

“it is highly misleading to state that CBT is the therapy of first choice, since the only relative efficacy RCT quoted in the Guideline (Risdale et al 2001) shows that counselling has better outcomes than CBT”.​

It goes on to say that:

“This recommendation seriously conflicts with the recommendation that patient choice and preference need to be uppermost in the collaborative approach to care, and the finding that 45% of patients report either being made worse or not helped at all by CBT and, elsewhere, only 7% of patients surveyed report being helped”.​

It asks:

“Why is a misleading recommendation being made?".​

There is no mention in the NICE guidance of the analysis report in 2004 by the 25% ME Group for Severe Sufferers that was submitted to the GDG of NICE that reported that 93 per cent of respondents found CBT unhelpful.

I could cite a great many more criticisms of the recommendation by NICE for CBT. The recent judicial review did not test the scientific validity of NICE's recommendation for CBT and GET. The statement issued by Professor Littlejohns, NICE clinical and public health director, that the decision,

“means that the NICE guideline is the gold standard for best practice in managing CFS/ME",​

is not entirely accurate.

People with ME already bear a great burden of disbelief about the reality of their illness from their closest relatives, their friends, the medical profession and other care professionals they encounter, as well as the community at large. There has been a preponderance of articles on “yuppie flu” in the press and broadcast media; research funding, other than that provided by the ME charities, has been exclusively weighted in favour of the psychosocial as opposed to the biomedical aspects of the illness; and ME patients seem to have to

18 Mar 2009 : Column 318

go through a great many more hoops, including CBT, to obtain and retain social security benefits and social care packets, as well as private health insurance.

I have a quotation from Health Insurance News UK dated 22 February 2009. Under the heading,

“Medical Insurance May Not Cover Chronic Fatigue”,
it gives a condensed description of ME. It then states:

“This sounds like a physical problem, doesn’t it? However, the NICE guidelines suggest that it is a psychiatric condition rather than a physical one.”.​

It goes on to say:

“Because of the NICE guidelines private health insurance companies are within their right to refuse cover if an applicant’s policy does not include psychiatric cover”.
I cannot find any confirmation for the extraordinary suggestion that ME is a psychiatric condition in the NICE guidelines. Will the Minister ensure that this misinformation is rapidly withdrawn?

Young people with ME get very little understanding of their predicament from educationalists and social workers. Far too frequently their parents are accused of “perpetuating the child’s illness behaviour”. This often results in the child being put on the at-risk register, forcibly removed from the family and given medical treatment, including CBT and GET, that commonly does not work. The child is then blamed for the failure. It can then take years for the child to regain any semblance of a normal life. Too many children remain isolated and ignored and living in a twilight world.

I have been dealing with ME sufferers for 17 years and I have never encountered a group of patients who are so maligned. The last straw for them is the requirement that they undertake a course of CBT and/or GET in order to qualify for benefits and private insurance payments. I accept that, in some cases, CBT alone may be beneficial. I suspect that in the old days it would have been called “grin and bear it”. However, CBT is rarely offered without GET and ME patients know only too well—and their views are supported by some 4,000 papers on scientific and clinical research—that GET makes their symptoms worse.

The NICE guidelines lay great stress on the importance of shared decision making, working in partnership with the patient and the need for specialist expertise. Unfortunately, because this is a “Cinderella” condition, there are few specialists. Indeed, some of the specialist centres set up following the CMO report in 2002 have had to close because of a lack of funding and expertise. For this reason, “referral out of area” and “choose and book” should be available to all sufferers.

The Department of Health and the World Health Organisation acknowledge that this is not a psychiatric condition. What action is the Minister’s department taking to ensure that people with ME are as respected as people with other medical conditions and that they are not forced to accept, as a condition for receipt of benefits and social care, “treatments” such as CBT and GET that, at best, provide no beneficial effects and, at worst, are positively harmful?

I remind the Minister that NICE guidelines state:

“Healthcare professionals should be aware that—like all people receiving care in the NHS—people with CFS/ME have the right to refuse or withdraw from any component of their care without this affecting other aspects of their care, or future choices about care”.​

18 Mar 2009 : Column 319

Last page of debate:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200809/ldhansrd/text/90318-0014.htm

----------------

And here we are, 7 years on, with "PPS" and "MUS" services proliferating and integrated IAPT for "MUS", CFS, ME already implemented in some areas, with more sites being rolled out over the next two years...

Last edited:

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
I think if anyone is forced into one of these 'treatment centres', they should consider keeping detailed notes of everything that happens, including any deterioration in their health, unhelpful behaviour/attitudes from 'therapists', micro-aggressions, disability denial, ableism, and other prejudices. Keep a video diary if necessary in case you find your health going downhill over time because they're peddling exercise.

It might be worth digging around to see if the people operating in these clinics know much about the science, and to see how they react to it. If they tell you not to go online and mix with other patients or look up the science, it's because they don't want you to know how wrong they are, or they're threatened by your knowledge (because it redresses an existing power imbalance that favours them).

Cutting people off from support networks and important information is a classic sign of trouble. Ignore them, you owe this bandwagon nothing. Just because they subscribe to the cult of psychosomatic medicine doesn't mean you have to. Go home, ridicule them in your diaries.

You might even make friends with some other patients at one of these clinics, someone who lives not too far away. A lot of ME sufferers are obviously very cut off, or find their fitter or more able-bodied friends have moved on, leaving them behind.

Attending one of these places could also be an opportunity to alert other patients attending the same place - for collage and clay modelling, etc - to the real purpose of these clinics. For example, sharing the back end literature sent out to GPs which labels us as frequent fliers, revolving doors, etc. The focus on saving money for the health care system should also be shown, via the ever-so-helpful costings they've provided for GPs, and links to any particular quack talks they have on You Tube showing their dodgy knowledge of ME.

Most importantly, other ME patients attending these places need to be warned about the PACE trial, the lower recovery thresholds, and the research currently going on elsewhere. Send them over to David Tuller's excellent journalism. A well educated patient population is harder for them to bamboozle. They depend on many patients being cut off from the vital information needed.

If you have to go to one of these treatment places, think of it as an undercover investigation or an anthropological or sociological study into early twenty-first century psychobabble. They have already been defeated by science, they are simply running on cronyism, power structures, and lack of powerful advocates for patients. This will change. Other biomedical conditions cannot fall into their hands. In the meantime, demand (if they actually ask for your opinion) that your favourite hobby pastime is provided for. Do not settle for clay modelling and collage if that's not your thing. Perhaps you could get a photography club going.

Remember, you're the rational ones. They could have a million qualifications, but their degrees might as well have been pulled out a Christmas cracker for all the relevance they have to you. Don't let them get you down. Look at them, see the little emperors and empresses without their clothes. Try not to laugh too hard.

Lastly, if you can take control of the situation, do so. If they offer you exercise, and you know it's dangerous, try and get something else instead. Stretching exercises or possibly some yoga if you're up to that. If there's something they're offering which might actually be useful though not remotely curative, take it. Especially if it's something you'd normally have to pay for. Some people at these clinics might be more aware of your limitations. Some of them might even have doubts, or develop doubts about their treatments over time, especially the more ME patients they see. In that respect you're educating them. But we know that there is a culture of lying to patients, humouring us that we're ill, etc, so I'd take anything they said with a pinch of salt. Your first duty is to yourself, to maintain your health where it is, and improve it where possible.

PS: Some people attending these clinics (and not just for ME) may be very isolated. Befriend them.