1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
In Brief: Muscles and the 'myalgia' in ME/CFS
In the first in a new series of 'In Brief' articles, Andrew Gladman provides a helpful insight into the science behind fairly common topics and explores how they relate to ME/CFS. This time he looks at the muscles, exploring how our reported symptoms might be associated with our...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Murine Leukemia Viruses: Biology and Replication

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Jemal, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Not about XMRV specifically, but the family of MLV's.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/av/aip/403419/
  2. currer

currer Senior Member

This paper has some nice diagrams at the end. The main text is bichemistry heavy though - a word of warning!

It closes with a reference to the development of MLVs as gene vectors, an innovation it treats as inevitable.

Does this seem wise to anyone, until we know whether "wild" mlvs are in the population?

Gene vectors are modified so that they cannot replicate, but if they meet an unmodified "wild" MLV in a cell they could recombine to become infectious again.
    Not an inviting prospect.
  3. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

No, it sounds insane.

See more popular forum discussions.