1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MUPS = CFS (Norway/Denmark)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Ren, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Ren

Ren Primum Non Nocere

Potemkin Village
    Just an FYI...

"Patients with persistent medically unexplained physical symptoms: a descriptive study from Norwegian general practice" / BMC Family Practice, May 2014

Aase Aamland 1,2 Kirsti Malterud 1,2,3 and Erik L Werner 1
    Research Unit for General Practice, Uni Research Health Bergen, Kalfarveien 31, N-5018 Bergen, Norway.
    2 Department of Global Public Health and Primary Care, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway.
    3 Research Unit for General Practice in Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark

"Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms (MUPS) captures conditions characterized by symptoms without corresponding objective findings 1], such as asthenia, low back pain, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, or chronic fatigue syndrome..."

"For the purpose of this study, we defined persistent MUPS as “physical symptoms with no identified organic cause, lasting for at least three months and leading to a loss of function”."

Full text: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2296/15/107
    alex3619 and Esther12 like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is primarily a prevalence study. It is not psychobabble itself, though its on shaky ground in one important sense. MUPS become MEPS with enough time. This is happening now in ME and CFS. E=Explained. Currently nearly all ME symptoms can be medically explained. What we lack is proof that any particularly theory of causation is fully correct, whether for subgroups or all of us as a whole.

MUPS is basically a wastebasket diagnosis. Its failure to diagnose ... not necessarily the doctor's failure either. Several huge problems that doctors have no control over include the lack of good science (science takes time, interest, and money); the availability of appropriate tests; the distribution of good guidelines on tests and testing; prevailing nonsense views that compete with sound ones that doctors do not have the time to examine and analyze properly.

Now while I say that individual doctors are usually not to blame (there are exceptions), I am of the view the profession is largely responsible. How can they stuff up, in the face of overwhelming evidence, so consistently and for so long, and yet still want to defend their stuff up? Why are they willing to accept unsubstantiated, unproven and untested psychobabble?

MUPS is a real category. The diseases within it are probably, overwhelmingly probably, real diseases. We just don't know enough to figure out what is going on.

MUPS= "We don't know".
    Ren, NK17, Valentijn and 1 other person like this.
  3. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    yeah like "UFO": if used CORRECTLY it's perfectly fine
    problem is, it's all about perception and misuse....
    Ren, Valentijn and alex3619 like this.
  4. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Because god forbid the medical community admits to something as "We don't know".
    Ren, SilverbladeTE, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    That is a big aim of my book, to convince some. Its like trying to shovel snow back up into the sky I am guessing.
    Ren, Martial and SilverbladeTE like this.

See more popular forum discussions.