• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mumps reactivating ... what to do?

Aileen

The doctor's office called today. I managed to get her to run a bunch of tests to see what was going on as I feel a lot worse. I thought perhaps either some other illness had appeared and/or I had a reactivating virus.

It seems like the tests indicate that I have mumps and so I am to go back for repeat blood testing tomorrow. They wanted to know my symptoms and yes, it certainly feels like I have mumps although there isn't much swelling. I've actually been saying that I feel like I've got mumps - sore glands, throat, ears, teeth - for several weeks.

She didn't run all the tests that I'd asked for so I asked if she'd run the EBV and CMV tests this time. Hopefully she will since I caught the mumps reactivation. It isn't usually something I'd ask for but since I'd had mumps as a child (from a vaccine) and had the symptoms, I put it on the list. Good call on my part if I do say so myself! :D

The question is what to do about it? Is there anything I can take to beat this thing into submission? Going by the way I have been feeling I'd say it has been reactivating for about 3 to 4 weeks.

SOC

Nice catch!

Try for an HHV-6 test, too, unless you know you've not been exposed. I had all those symptoms, plus being swollen like a chipmunk, and I was told it was HHV-6 and/or EBV reactivation. Apparently both those viruses live in the salivary glands and can make them swell.

Herpesvirus reactivations can feel just like you describe -- glands, throats, ears, teeth -- and generally don't produce swelling like in mumps.

Now that I know mumps can reactivate, I'm wondering if I actually had the mumps instead. :eek:

Have you taken any immune modulators like AHCC?

Aileen

The only immune modulator I have ever tried was Immunovir years ago and it was a disaster. Don't remember the details just that it made me sicker. What is AHCC?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
with poor nk or t cell function, many of these viruses that are katent in healthy people will reactivate in us. My memory is crap at the moment but i posted a link not long ago about people with other acute infections and it seemed that these infections then caused ebv to reactivate, i think any big hit on the immune system and ebv is going to rear its ugly head.

cheers!!!

Aileen

Well folks, I got a call from the public health unit this morning. Apparently my IgM was weakly positive so that is why everyone's tail is in a tizzy. They are wondering if the dreaded mumps is out there in the community. :eek: I'm rather amused by all the fuss. I explained what happened, answering all her questions before she asked. Apparently everyone is very confused by this. When I asked her if she thought I might be contageous she wasn't really sure either, but thought it wasn't likely as I'd been having symptoms for 4 weeks and no apparent swelling. I go for repeat blood testing later today. Depending on the results, I may be hearing from public health again... So now we know how to get some attention.:p

SOC

The only immune modulator I have ever tried was Immunovir years ago and it was a disaster. Don't remember the details just that it made me sicker. What is AHCC?
AHCC is an OTC supplement derived from mushrooms. It is sometimes suggested by ME/CFS docs in the US where Imunovir is unavailable. Apparently it is quite effective at improving NK cell function.

Here's some more info about AHCC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Hexose_Correlated_Compound

taniaaust1

Well folks, I got a call from the public health unit this morning. Apparently my IgM was weakly positive so that is why everyone's tail is in a tizzy. They are wondering if the dreaded mumps is out there in the community. :eek: I'm rather amused by all the fuss. I explained what happened, answering all her questions before she asked. Apparently everyone is very confused by this. When I asked her if she thought I might be contageous she wasn't really sure either, but thought it wasn't likely as I'd been having symptoms for 4 weeks and no apparent swelling. I go for repeat blood testing later today. Depending on the results, I may be hearing from public health again... So now we know how to get some attention.:p

yeah that would be right... they only really worry with us if they think we are contagious...